Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: PIP success story and some reflections

My PIP claim: I was paid from the wrong date

My PIP claim was paid from the wrong date

As I had previously explained, my claim started in an unusual manner - a renewal DLA claim that was rejected and routed to PIP. This scenario will not apply to PIP claims started in the usual way over the phone.

For reasons I didn't understand, PIP was only paid from 17 July 2013. The copy of my PIP file I received following my Subject Access Request confirmed the date of claim is 9 July 2013 and the decision maker decided I was eligible for PIP from 9 July 2013.

I phoned the PIP helpline to question why no PIP was paid for those eight days. The person on the phone was unable to help and reminded me the helpline was little more than a call centre, but decided the best thing to do was send the question to the benefit centre responsible for my claim.

A couple of days later I got a call from the Case Manager responsible for my original decision, thanking my for my query and explaining that it had him and his colleagues scratching their heads as everything they checked showed entitlement starting from 9 July but they could see clearly that payment had only started from 17 July.

Eventually they found the information on an single fairly obscure screen on the computer system that none of them remembered looking at before had not been backdated - if I understood him correctly it was a screen about alternate names. Once that was corrected, the system stated that there had been an underpayment, which they had attempted to send to me. In a formal sense, this was revision of the original decision due to official error.

The Case Manager explained that this situation was being passed to those responsible for the computer system as a possible bug, because it appeared that all the human steps taken to backdate the date of claim were correct but the system had failed to backdate this screen, leading to an underpayment and incorrect start date in the decision letter. He explained it is possible the same glitch has affected other claims that should have been processed using an earlier date of claim than the initial entries on the PIP computer system, though this will never apply to PIP claims started in the normal manner over the telephone.

I said it would be best for the decision letter to be reissued, as the letter I had ran from the wrong date. He agreed that this was the best course of action and that it would be done.

A few days later, I got the corrected decision letter, but the payment still had not arrived. I rang the Case Manager on his direct line to thank him for the corrected letter and query the missing payment. He explained that they had found the only way ahead was to correct the decision to what it should have been, which is why the corrected letter showed that I should have received the extra 8 days of money with my initial payment of arrears. He agreed to investigate further, and the missing £153.60 for 8 days of enhanced rate Daily Living and enhanced rate Mobility has now arrived in my account.

I am almost 21 weeks into my PIP claim.

Mum just phoned them(on my behalf, last time we were told to ring back around this time) and now we've been told it'll be at least another few weeks.

Getting ridiculous now.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerangelx View Post

Mum just phoned them(on my behalf, last time we were told to ring back around this time) and now we've been told it'll be at least another few weeks.

Getting ridiculous now.
    At least you were given a little clue as to yours being accepted and awarded flowerangel so it should be a nice back pay amount when it is.
    Last edited by KAREN SV; 03-25-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Getting ridiculous now.
    29 weeks into my claim waiting on a decision from DWP

Quote Originally Posted by KAREN SV View Post
    At least you were given a little clue as to yours being accepted and awarded flowerangel so it should be a nice back pay amount when it is.
    I'm not taking what the assessor said for granted..I'm really not. I don't think i'll get it, personally.

Then again, I've thought that about ESA and got it!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly65 View Post
    29 weeks into my claim waiting on a decision from DWP
    It's stupid, isn't it?

It's stupid, isn't it?
    Yes it is ridiculous but thankfully i had my decision just waiting for the award notice to come now
    Good luck to everyone waiting i hope you all get your decisions very soon

Hello am new to this hope you can help.

My daughter applied for pip October 28th 2013 then had assessment on 4th February. Dwp received electronic version on 17th february and paper version on 23rd February was told by dwp that would only be two weeks for decision and 5 weeks on Sunday still no decision made serveral calls then daughter had call back today from dwp saying her report was sent back to atos for clarifications and queries that was sent back on 3rd march same day recieved letter saying that they had report back and decision would be made soon. On call back this morning dwp said they recieved clarifications back on 26th march but still no decision. Please help what should we do never claim before very new to this.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Googles View Post
    On call back this morning dwp said they recieved clarifications back on 26th march but still no decision. Please help what should we do never claim before very new to this.
    DWP have only had the clarifications for two days. It will probably take at minimum a few more days for a decision to be made and issued.

Thank you flymo,

Is it normal for the dwp to send report back to atos for clarifications does it mean there's a good chance she hadn't got the award. Should I keep ringing on daughters behalf or just wait for the letter to come.

My daughter has also just been diagnosed with another condition this week by neurologist should I ring and let dwp know of this, dwp already know of her other 3 conditions but this one just diagnosed.

Thank you