Thread: new rules

new rules

is it true that parking with a blue badge will be restricted to 3 hours in one spot?

Have a look @ gov.uk/blue badge.

Depends where you live. I can park in a parking bay all day in Manchester when displaying my badge only.

Yet in a local borough the time in a bay is restricted to two hours only

Check with your local council for regional rules to be on the safe side.

The yellow line concession is limited to three hours in all of the UK except Scotland, where it is unlimited. I have no idea whether the Scottish Government is planning any change.

A lot of Blue Badge holders never use the yellow line concession.

I always thought that it was just 3 hours.

4 if one never got caught

I believe that the local council controls the parking time restriction set if parked in a council owned carpark or on-street bay, to a maximum allowed time of 3 hours.

This has been the case in England & Wales for many years as we are given a clock-card with our Blue Badges, in Scotland you don't use this method, therefore I assume that the Scottish government are bringing in the change?

The rules for the Scottish badge are here: http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...dge_holder.pdf

They state on page 17 that "In Scotland there is no time restriction on parking for badge holders, unless local restrictions apply."

Maybe Edinburgh are adding these restrictions as I can't find notice of a change anywhere else?
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

happy new year everyone checked all the rules and glad to say there is no time regulations in scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by dickson View Post
    happy new year everyone checked all the rules and glad to say there is no time regulations in scotland.
    As I live in Scotland I can confirm that this statement is correct. Not only is there no time regulations in Scotland, you are Not required to put up a clock stating the time that you parked your car.

Clocks are not supplied with a Blue Badge from Scottish Councils unless you write to them ask for one, so that you have one when you visit England.

So if I park my car on yellow lines where I live I can leave it there for as long as I need to without any worry of getting a Parking Ticket. Mind you on saying that no one would get a Parking Ticket for Parking on Yellow Lines in my Town as there is no such thing as a Traffic Warden and the police do not hand out Parking Tickets.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

same as in some parts of london, Haringey has not time limit for badges on doubles if you are issued one by them

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I believe that the local council controls the parking time restriction set if parked in a council owned carpark or on-street bay, to a maximum allowed time of 3 hours.

This has been the case in England & Wales for many years as we are given a clock-card with our Blue Badges, in Scotland you don't use this method
    The Blue Badge concessions are:

Situation Concession
    Anywhere you would cause an obstruction DO NOT PARK as you would be committing an offence, vehicle may be moved to the nearest point where it does not cause an obstruction
    Active red lines DO NOT PARK, no concession, vehicle may be moved or removed in some cases
    Active loading restriction ('yellow ticks' on the kerb with the plate showing an active loading restriction) DO NOT PARK, no concession
    Loading bay DO NOT PARK, no concession
    Active yellow lines (City of London, Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Camden 'Green Badge' area, roads at airports) DO NOT PARK, no concession
    Active yellow lines (elsewhere in England or Wales) park for up to 3 hours, must set time clock to time of arrival
    Active yellow lines (Scotland) unlimited parking with no need to display a time clock
    On-street parking in a bay/area marked with "Disabled badge holders only" sign if the plate shows a time limit is active, must set time clock to time of arrival and obey the time limit

otherwise unlimited parking with no need to display a time clock
    On-street pay and display / meter / pay by phone parking (City of London, Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Camden 'Green Badge' area) must pay as normal, typically there is a limited overstay concession (usually 1 hour beyond the time paid for)
    On-street pay and display / meter / pay by phone parking (elsewhere) unlimited parking with no need to display a time clock unless a local Traffic Regulation Order determines otherwise (e.g. some roads in central Ipswich, where there are time limits - details are on the pay and display machines)
    Other designated on-street bays (including bays for residents, doctors, diplomats, taxis or holders of local permits) usually no concession

local concessions sometimes exist, especially for residents' bays
    Off-street parking any concessions are at the discretion of the car park operator

Many Blue Badge holders have no idea about the usually unlimited parking available in on-street pay and display and meter bays. Often, this is more useful than the yellow line concession.

Anyone living, studying or working in the restricted central London boroughs may be entitled to the relevant local permit, which typically acts as an 'all areas' residents permit. In some cases, these people have a dedicated bay linked to their individual permit.

The permits are:
    • City of London - Red Badge
    • Westminster - White Badge
    • Kensington and Chelsea - Purple Badge
    • Camden ('Green Badge' area only) - Green Badge

Anyone entering Central London is advised to have maps that show the restricted areas.

The Camden 'Green Badge' area is approximately:
    • the entire area south of New Oxford Street / Vernon Place / Theobalds Road / Clerkenwell Road (one road, four names along its length), and
    • the area south of Euston Road and east of Upper Woburn Place / Southampton Row (one road, two names along its length)

The other boundaries are the boundaries of Camden with Westminster and the City of London.

Most of the named roads are included in the 'Green Badge' area except Euston Road - not that Euston Road is suitable for parking!