Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Motability Rules

Has anyone got anything more to add please? Anyone heard of people being successful in their appeal based on hardship grounds? Thanks.

I was successful in my appeal, though the circumstances were not exactly the same. Basically, I made a silly mistake and had let my friend drive my first Motability car uninsured in 2009, I informed RSA when it came to renewing the car and at that time, the rules were not changed in regards to IN10/IN14 charges, and they let me take out my second car. When the time came for the second car to be renewed, I found out about the rule change when my application wouldn't go through... Fast forward a week of hassle and a letter of appeal which stated all of the above, in addition to the hardship it would cause for me not to have a car on the scheme as I was living away from home for University, and RSA accepted my appeal :-)

The lesson has well and truly been learnt, I can assure you!

I'm happy to announce that my application to renew Motability has been accepted. With 6 points for driving for no insurance I successfully argued that my mother would have enter to enter care home unless I was able to drive the care to visit her to provide care - it's my mother's Motability car. I attached a letter from my sister and one from my mother also supporting my position. And a letter from myself stating that I was a trustworthy driver was also attached. I was successful and now I have a brand new car. Thank you to everyone for their help. I hope my appeal success inspires others to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by keith11 View Post
    I'm happy to announce that my application to renew Motability has been accepted. With 6 points for driving for no insurance I successfully argued that my mother would have enter to enter care home unless I was able to drive the care to visit her to provide care - it's my mother's Motability car. I attached a letter from my sister and one from my mother also supporting my position. And a letter from myself stating that I was a trustworthy driver was also attached. I was successful and now I have a brand new car. Thank you to everyone for their help. I hope my appeal success inspires others to do the same.
    Hello,

I have today applied for my son's new car. I also have a IN10 which is spent but within the five years. It was due to an admin error on Swift Insurance's part. My dealer told me to ring Motability who would sort it. They have told me there is no way I will get RSA to insure me with this code. I asked if it was worth writing and appealing, they said no, but I am going to try. We will not be able to get to hospital or school without it. Thanks for this encouraging thread.

If it was an admin error with your Insurance why didn't you appeal the points and have the IN10 taken off you record?

It seems strange to be penalised for someone else's error.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    If it was an admin error with your Insurance why didn't you appeal the points and have the IN10 taken off you record?
    Unfortunately, driving without insurance is a strict liability offence - if you drive without insurance you are guilty of the offence. There are a few defences, notably driving in the course of employment if you can show the employer was responsible for instance and you genuinely believed you were insured. However, driving in the mistaken belief you are insured is not a defence.

If there is evidence that the driver drove uninsured reasonably believing they were insured, this can be put to the court as special reasons not to endorse the driver's licence (i.e. no points). However, this is still a conviction, which would need to be declared to insurers.

Did your appeal go ok ? Just I'm going through the same situation and I've been told not to appeal ...