Thread: ESA Renewal - Do I need a new Doctors Certificate?

ESA Renewal - Do I need a new Doctors Certificate?

Hi Everyone,
    I have had the ESA50 form through to complete and send back to ATOS as my Contribution Based ESA (Support Group) needs renewing/looking at again etc as it's past the 365 days. My question is this - will I need to provide a new Doctors Certificate (it says not to on the questionnaire at the start) - when I put in the original claim DWP stopped paying at the start as they didn't have a sick note to cover a period of a couple of weeks, and I don't really want that to happen again. I don't really want to sit on hold for 20+ mins at 40p a minute to try and find out either, and I can't find out any info on the net.
    Has anyone who has renewed had to send in a note, and if so where and when? Do they ask for it?
    Thanks
    x x

As this is a reassessment, you stay on ESA until the reassessment is complete. You do not return to the assessment phase, so you do not need another 'fit note' from your doctor.

The DWP's letter confirms there is no need to sent another 'fit note'. All you need to do is return the ESA50 before the date on the letter.

Thank you. I wanted to check as the ESA form is the same as last time, and there was nothing on the ESA form about sending in a doctors note, but the letter that comes with it says "Please do not send medical statements with your questionnaire. Send them to the Jobcentre Plus office that deals with your claim." So it's really ambiguous as to whether or not I need them, and when I need them from etc...
    Last edited by ct8383; 01-17-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Happens because they tend to send out generic letters which covers new and exisitng claims. So as you said it can get a bit confusing. As Flymo said this time round you don't need them.