Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It is worth me claiming?

Jamesyharrow

It is worth me claiming?

Hi again.
    This ESA form is very stressful and also more so as I suffer with severe anxiety.
    It's asking questions about our savings and between us we have over 16k not that I'd ever see any of my partners savings.
    I just wanted to know is it really worth applying for ESA if I'm going to get turned down due to savings being high?

Also I've asked for it to start on 13th feb so would I still get payments from then until a decision is made if I went through with it and also when would I get my first one? Is it then monthly?

Hi, I've just been through a review of my parents finances with a face to face interview with our local DWP representative to find out what they are entitled to as individuals s my dad is now in full time nursing.

Believe you me they leave no rock upturned and require original statements of income and savings going back over the last four months.

Your partner would have to disclose all his savings and assets which he might not be happy about.

I ws in a similar position and I did some research and realised that I wouldn't be eligible for even contributions based ESA tat lasts a year.

It''s still in your interest to sign on even if you're not entitled to any payment because the DWP will credit you with missing NI Contributions that build up to pay for your state pension. With the new universal state pension you'll need 35 years worth of NI contributions in order to get the £140 plus a week pension. I didn't bother as 've already got 38 years worth built up so there was no benefit signing on. I'm an invisible statistic!

If you have over £16k in savings you'll have to pay your Council Tax too unless Flymo knows otherwise.

Over 16k in joint savings means you cannot get income related ESA or other means tested benefits, so there's no point filling in the section of the ESA form about income and savings. However, you can still get contributions based ESA if you have paid sufficient National Insurance, so I'd encourage you to claim ESA.

If you meet the contribution conditions for contributions based ESA, you will be paid the assessment rate until the assessment process is completed. If you qualify for ESA and the assessment finds you have limited capacity for work, the increased main phase rate will be awarded from the 14th week of the claim, with backdated money paid if, as is likely, the assessment process takes longer than 13 weeks. ESA is usually paid fortnightly in arrears.

As LightTouch says, you will receive Class 1 NI credits if you are paid ESA or you would have been paid contributions based ESA but do not meet the contribution conditions. These credits are important to avoid a deficiency in your Retirement Pension, so this is another reason to continue with the ESA claim.

In summary, I would continue with the ESA claim as you are likely to be entitled to ESA(Cont) as someone who has been working. Make it clear you do not wish to claim income-related ESA as, with over 16k in joint savings, you will not qualify for ESA(IR) - this will means there's no need to go through the intrusive process of providing proof of your joint capital and income.

You will have to check with your council about help with Council Tax, as the rules now vary from council to council. However, with over 16k in joint savings, it's unlikely you will qualify for any help. As you do not mention any physical aspects of your disability, it is unlikely you can make any use of the process to have extra space needed because of a disability, such as a room used for dialysis, ignored for Council Tax purposes, which can result in a lower banding.

With over 16k in joint savings, you will not qualify for help with NHS charges, though if you need regular prescriptions, it might be worth buying a pre-payment certificate.
    Last edited by Flymo; 29-01-14 at 19:40. Reason: Corrected payment cycle: ESA is fortnightly

Jamesyharrow
    Thanks both. I've done the form after having to phone up numerous times for clarification of what the questions mean and the advisors not really knowing the answers. Some did, some didn't.

They just said what you think in some answers!

In other information I mentioned a second pension as it said to in the pension part. It is an old pension I am not contributing to anymore as it was an old employer and I'm also not old enough to be allowed to claim it yet. I wanted to mention it that way so I wasn't hiding anything. Is that right?

I've just filled in the pink parts of the form as a whole for contribution only (myself).

So if my claim starts on 13th Feb I should get first payment on or around 13th March?

I've just corrected my earlier post, as I realised I wrote four weekly rather than fortnightly. There's different payment cycles for different benefits, and for some reason I gave the answer as if it was PIP or DLA, not ESA.

It's very hard to predict when you'll get a first payment, as it depends how long it takes DWP to process your claim. The day of the week you're paid depends on your NI number, if I remember correctly. Once the initial award is made, future payments should be in a regular cycle.

Jamesyharrow

Expenses - WRAG interviews

When I claimed a couple years back I was allowed to claim back petrol expenses for going to the WRAG interviews. Is this still the case or has this changed a long with everything else?!
    I sent my ESA1 form off today after much stress filling it out.

Hello. Hope ok to tag onto this thread. I was dismissed from my job as being "permanently unfit for work" just over a year ago. I appealed and lost. Consulted a solicitor to take my ex employers to tribunal and lost. I now want to try to claim contribution ESA. What is the phone call like when you call them. The form seems very very long. I am hard of hearing but don't have a text phone. I have filled in the form using the interactive online form, but seems you have to print it and I don't have a printer (wished I noticed that before filling in the very long form). Is there anyway to send the filled in form electronically. I cant see a way. Can I go to a jobcentre place and print it there. I have it emailed to myself so can access it that way.
    Guess will have to phone but dreading that. I can imagine it is a very long phone call. I know its a Freephone number but that's not the point.
    Thanking you in advance of a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by gocat View Post
    Hello. I have filled in the form using the interactive online form, but seems you have to print it and I don't have a printer .
    Hi gocat sorry to hear about your predicament. I wasn't aware that you could fill in an ESA form online.

This is a very good example of an interactive pdf (portable document format).

As this can be read by Adobe Acrobat Reader which every computer has I'd suggest you save the file to a USB drive or burn it to a disc. Take it along to your local library and print it off using one of their free use computers. Or if they don't allow you to insert saving devices in their computer log on the internet and access the file from your email provider - remember to take your passwords.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...70934/esa1.pdf

Well you seem very computer savvy so despite your hearing impairment I think you've got marketable skills. Register with a Temp agency for admin work and while you can apply to your local college to enlist in a course to develop your computer skills - it can't harm your prospects and will look good on your CV.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Jamesyharrow

WRAG/Assessement - Expenses

Hi
    Think my original message may have got lost. When I was in ESA before I was able to claim expenses for petrol to get to the assessment and WRAG interviews. Is this still the case?
    Thanks

removed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesyharrow View Post
    Hi
    Think my original message may have got lost. When I was in ESA before I was able to claim expenses for petrol to get to the assessment and WRAG interviews. Is this still the case?
    Thanks
    Yes you can still claim fuel expenses. However, if I was in your position, I would worry less about what you can claim expenses for and worry more about how you meet the discriptors and preparing yourself with the 'interragation' with ATOS/CAPITA.

It is not meant to come accross as rude but I think you are spending a lot of time on the things that are not important but not on the most importatnt part i.e. collecting additional evidence and preparing your case on how you meet the discriptors.