Thread: Help please with ESA as my wife now works

Help please with ESA as my wife now works

Hi
    I am new to this site and I hope someone can help me please.
    I am on full ESA the highest rate and at moment claiming for my wife. She has now gone back to work and is doing a 40 hour week. I was told that the only change in my ESA benefit would be that the allowance that I claim for my wife would be deducted but as I had been through the medical and tribunal (only took 18 months) and awarded the highest support part of ESA I would still be entitled to my side of the benefit. On phoning the ESA this morning to inform them of my change in circumstances the person on the phone told me that she would send me a form out and to fill it in and return it. This would then go to a decision maker and could take up to 6 weeks. She also informed me that my claim could be cancelled as my wife is working full time or it may be that the only alteration to my entitlement is my wifes side of the claim. She then got vague when I pressed her for an explanation as to why this could be the case. If this is the case and I lose my entitlement then it is not worth my wife working as we would be worse off.
    I hope this is not too long winded but I thought if you had as much information as I could give it would help you.If anyone can help me with this matter I would be very grateful as this is causing me to panic.
    I would like to thank you all for your time and help in this matter

Cheers
    Diceman

If your wife is working full time, it is almost certain her income will mean you are no longer entitled to any income-related ESA.

If you are receiving contributions based ESA (check any letters you have from the DWP), that will continue to be paid. You are not subject to the one year limit on contributions based ESA because you are in the support group.

It so unfair. I thought that DC said he would make work pay. It does not for some does it.

Thank you Flymo for that information I have phoned benefits back to check on my benefits and spoke to a lady she said that as I claim for my wife I am on income based ESA but I do have contribution in place for myself. I checked with her over the change in circumstances and she told me that the only reason I had been place on income based was because of the top up for my wife. When it all goes through and they no longer pay for my wife I will automatically revert back to a single person contribution based ESA and that I would receive my benefits minus the wifes extra part of the money. I told her how the other lady I spoke to earlier had advised me of it going to a decision maker and I could lose everything she confirmed that she couldn't understand why she had told me this as it is on the screen of my contribution based and that it doesn't go to anybody the computer system on updating my details would automatically adjust the amount of money I receive accordingly and continue to send it out and she also confirmed what you said Fluymo that as I was now on support group rate I would not be subject anymore to the one year limit.
    Talk about relieved
    Thank you Flymo for that help it gave me correct info to go back to the benefits so I had understanding in what to say to them to get the correct clarification.
    what you said Karen SV is quite true a friend of mine found himself to be £60 a week worse off when he went back to work. Somewhere the system has gone wrong.
    cheers Flymo once again I really appreciate the information that you gave me

Quote Originally Posted by KAREN SV View Post
    It so unfair. I thought that DC said he would make work pay. It does not for some does it.
    Universal Credit - if it ever gets rolled out more widely - replaces all the existing means-tested benefits, including Income Support and Income Related ESA. However, Universal Credit uses a (slightly updated) version of the ESA Regulations for capacity for work cases, so we won't have a new system of Work Capacity Assessments to get used to.

Universal Credit does smooth out many of the cases where it costs you more to work than not to work, and it is this undoubted improvement that the politicians have made repeated upbeat statements about. Unfortunately, Universal Credit also leaves some worse off, especially those who would have qualified for the Severe Disability Premium which does not exist under Universal Credit. There is some transitional protection for those who are worse off financially when they are moved to UC, such as those who currently have SDP, but this will be a fixed sum that does not increase in line with inflation.

Means-tested benefits have always been assessed jointly for those who are married or live together, which often means a couple is worse off than two people living separate lives. This does not change under Universal Credit.