Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wheelchair users and shopping

wheelchair users and shopping

do people agree that there need to be more products which help people confined to a wheelchair carry around shopping bags, as active wheelchairs provide no support in this area.

i think that this COULD be a good idea, you just have to be carefull with your designs and make sure that they are adequate for the user E.G. make sure that the design does not take up to much room or hinder the movement of the wheelchair, will there be anything to counter balance the weight of the shopping bags?
    I feel if you design this 'product' right then it could be a very posotive attribute to people who have to use wheelchairs, especially active wheelchairs.

Yes, I do agree there needs to products to help this cause, because heavy shopping bags on the handles of a wheelchair could possibly tip it. I think this idea could definately benefit those in wheelchairs.

I think the standard wheelchair needs to be remodelled to provide better comfort and more features to the physically challenged. Technology has grown very rapidly and it's high time the scientists or the medical researchers spend some time in designing some new wheel chairs instead of coming up with technologically advanced cars or bikes, apart from carrying some groceries there could be many usefull features that can be embedded in a wheelchair today, emergency call button being one of them...... just my opinion.

Regards,

Yes, I agree. I have see bags on prams that have actually tipped it over. Of course, most people in wheelchairs weigh more, but we know that weight needs to be balanced. I have noticed on some wheelchairs there is often a little dead space underneath, not always much, but a little, that could be used better where appropriate. Maybe some sort of shelf that could be pulled out at the back or sides, with raised edges?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

yes it seems to be a good idea and can benefit wheelchair-bound users.

Steven. Are you a wheelchair user? Shopping and a wheelchair - oh I could write a thesis on this. In my experience, in an electric chair you are limited to what you can put on the back, which is "not very much". There already are back of chair bags, and under the seat bags and even armrest bags. Trouble is you then end up a hazard to life and limb - unable to get thru doors, onto buses and trains. I have a back of the wheelchair one I use when travelling and an anti-tip wheel, but even so, if thats on the back and I get out to struggle with a door - its tips back.
    Active chair - I assuming manual, selfpropelled, no handles.? Well then your arms are pushing you + chair + shopping....
    I get grocery delivered and do a lot online simply to get it delivered. When going around shops, I need someone with me if getting more than a couple of things,
    simply because you can't push a trolley and steer a wheelchair.

If I shop at Sainsbury's it's far easier to ask for an assisted shop.

That means a dedicated staff member pushes the trolly and gets the food you choose. They will till it up, pack your bags and load your car. A very pleasing experience.

Remember too that the charity Remap can help. We design and make bespoke solutions for disabled people and everything is provided free of charge. If you want a bag fitted to your chair, or some other kind of holder/gadget, our volunteer technicians might be able to help you out. Find us at https://remap.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    do people agree that there need to be more products which help people confined to a wheelchair carry around shopping bags, as active wheelchairs provide no support in this area.
    Hi as a former full time active chair user I’d have to agree. (now forced to use a powerchair due to condition).
    It’s difficult due to having big wheels.
    To be honest I started doing most of my shopping online as it’s more convenient for me.
    With a powerchair I have a bar going across the back of the chair and use buggy clips to hold bags.
    For grocery shopping I put a basket on my lap and take a folding grab stick to reach things. With my manual chair this often meant I’d do a 2nd round of shopping just so I could carry stuff.