Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wheelchair users and shopping

A LOT more could be done IMO. The trouble is that most electric wheelchairs are designed by people who put profit first and they have no idea about the users' needs.

I could write a book about the improvements that could be made on my wheelchair alone (I'm on my third Puma 40). Let me loose with a good engineer and give me the budget to do so, I KNOW I could build a better wheelchair. There will be a little less profit for the manufacturers, but the amount made on them by dealers is staggering - they should be available without these middle men trebling or quadrupling the price.

Hi!
    I found these wheelchairs (https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/wheelchairs), while looking for one to my mum. In reviews and comments said that you won't need help to use it. Also, they are looking quite comfortable for shopping.
    Hope

Quote Originally Posted by RaspberryRipple View Post
    Hi as a former full time active chair user I’d have to agree. (now forced to use a powerchair due to condition).
    It’s difficult due to having big wheels.
    To be honest I started doing most of my shopping online as it’s more convenient for me.
    With a powerchair I have a bar going across the back of the chair and use buggy clips to hold bags.
    For grocery shopping I put a basket on my lap and take a folding grab stick to reach things. With my manual chair this often meant I’d do a 2nd round of shopping just so I could carry stuff.
    I much prefer to ask for an assisted shop. I went to a garden centre and a DIY store and both places offer an assisted shop and till them up and bring to your motor. The downside is the shopping will need to stay in the car until someone lugs it in!

I think it's more likable people to buy some of the electric wheelchairs https://www.bestadvisor.com/electric-wheelchairs Many of them have a place for bags. Quite a convenient advantage of acquiring one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    I much prefer to ask for an assisted shop. I went to a garden centre and a DIY store and both places offer an assisted shop and till them up and bring to your motor. The downside is the shopping will need to stay in the car until someone lugs it in!
    That’s an advantage of a power chair that the shopping stays on the back of my chair so no one needs to carry it to or from your car or into the house. I use several giant buggy clips on the back when are ultra handy.
    I use the self scan at Tesco. When one of my shopping bags is full then I simply ask someone to hang it on the back of my chair then my basket is empty and I can continue shopping.
    I also use a smart watch so that I don’t have to take out my purse. I simply scan, show watch and go. It saves me lots of time at the checkout.
    Last edited by RaspberryRipple; 07-08-2019 at 11:29 AM.