Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use a (non regulation) 2 wheel electric scooter for mobility?

Does anyone use a (non regulation) 2 wheel electric scooter for mobility?

Does anyone use a (non regulation) 2 wheel electric scooter for mobility?
    All the mobility scooters I see are incredibly heavy (and expensive), but an electric 2 wheel scooter ( like the ones kids & teenagers use) would be perfect for me. Would love to hear if anyone has any experience or advice on this.

I am 33 years old and recently disabled. I have a problem with my hips and pelvis) that means I can't walk a distance of more than approx 20 meters and desperately need some form of mobility vehicle to get out and about. At the moment I am completely reliant on other people to push me in a wheelchair if I want to go anywhere and I am desperate to have the independence to go out alone. My condition means that extended periods of walking or sitting (especially in my wheelchair) aggravate the pain. It also means that I cannot lift anything too heavy. This rules out using any of the regulation mobility scooters as they are all too heavy and bulky for me to lift out of my car. The light weight options (like the luggie) are way too expensive!

Then whilst watching my daughter on her scooter the other day it suddenly dawned on me that an electric and slightly bigger version of a kids scooter would be perfect for me. As long as it has a padded seat and I can sit upright with my feet resting in front of me I should be fine for short distances.

I found this one: the Razor 300s £300
    Small, padded seat and only weighs 23kg
    http://www.razor.com/uk/products/ele...cooters/e300s/

I know this is probably a recipe for trouble as if I use this I am worried that the police/shop owners etc will think I am just some naughty teenager riding on pavements and in shopping malls. But I really can't see a better alternative.

Does anyone have an experience of someone using these sorts of scooters for mobility? Or any advice on what might make it less likely for someone to think I am just being a 'naughty teenager'.

I thought maybe I could put some disability stickers / sign on it? It would be great to have something like my blue badge to stick on it.

I am so desperate to be able to go to the park/ a museum/ the shops/ post office/ friends house without relying on other people. I am so exited by this idea and it is really giving me hope.

Any advice & suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Emily

You may be interested to hear my answer. I have recently purchased, with help from grants a power pack to fit on my manual chair. Similar reason to you, Power chairs are VERY heavy and you usually need a wheelchair accessible vehicle to travel. not an option here, cuz of epilepsy, I cannot drive. However this model comes apart to be motor + battery + chair....each individual part liftable into a normal car boot. Like a taxi.
    I'm going for www.benoitsolutions.co.uk This one is French and distributed by EMS Southwest. Here the motor fit behind the seat.
    There is also SD Solutions, where the motors are fitted to the wheels. Rather like hubcaps! But that does make the wheel rather heavy and you have to remove wheels to break it down.
    Have a look see on the net.

Two wheeled scooters are not classed as mobility vehicles and you can't use them in shops, precincts, museums etc. I did think about one a while back, but you need to have a good sense of balance. I think it could be great fun for going to the park or on other away day excursions, you just need to know that are not recognised as mobility aids. Good luck

firebird is quite right, which brings up questions of insurance, balance and how much of a help is it if you cant sit down and need 2 hands to steer? Do have look at the Benoit online. wish i could show you the pics but I don't know if we can upload them on here.

I have just bought a travelscoot, much lighter than the so called light scooters, but the main part is still quite tricky, especially if you have arthritis. I have a lightweight garden stool which I sit on to assemble and disassemble the scoot. Today was the third time I have used it to take my dog for a run around the local country park, and I love it. I'm getting better at sorting it out and only expect this to get even easier. The plus is that it is a mobility scooter so I can take it everywhere a pedestrian can go, within reason obviously.

i think i've sussed the images thing...here goes..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0670.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	896

this should be image of my Benoit light drive, a power pack that fit on most manual chairs and proves a lighter weight option than a scooter.

Mobility vechicles

Yes, I have a 2 wheeled electric scooter named Segway Mini Pro for mobility purposes. It has been excellent. The design of this scooter is awesome. The features, technology, durability are brilliant. If you want to know more about this product you can search from here: http://segwayhoverboardsmartelectric...-ninebot-mini/
    Last edited by adairlawrence; 01-12-17 at 08:32. Reason: Off topics

Can you ride an electric tricycle or recumbent electric tricycle? They're great to get you out and about. Much better than walking down hills and the motor helps when you're going up hills. Good luck. nod1e

did you read the small print

Note: Vehicle not to be used on public highways (roads/pavements), vehicle must be used on private property with owners consent, appropriate protective equipment to be worn at all times, children must be supervised by an adult at all times.

This is the Mobility Scooter that I bought and it is a Good Price as well.

https://www.careco.co.uk/item-p-ms01...ility-scooter/
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe