Thread: Cant get ESA or JSA as partner works more than 24 hrs

Cant get ESA or JSA as partner works more than 24 hrs

I cant cliam either ESA or JSA as my partner works more than 24 hrs a week and they used the tax years 2011/12 2012/13 to asses My NI contributions. i was on income support until march 2012 and started work on 12/3/12 so only paid NI from then. I am now unemployed from 28/1/14 waiting for surgery on my back and likely to be off work for approx 9 months. Been to Job center this morning and they basically said nothing we can help you with. Is this common place ?? anyone else faced a similar problem with any advice.

Yes, this sort of situation is becoming increasingly common, I would suggest you contact your local CAB or a similar adviser and ask for a full benefits check, as your partner maybe able to claim tax credits there is also your housing benefit situation to consider with the Local Authority. A trained adviser can go through all your circumstances with you and ensure your full entitlement, this can't be done on any forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ivb View Post
    There is of course Personal Independence Payment (PIP), If, after 3 months, you feel that your condition is likely to last a further 6 months and you have care and/or mobility needs - but PIP is a different kettle of fish sadly.
    It's a further 9 months for PIP (which, I know, is different to DLA).

PIP is only payable for conditions that are likely to last at least 12 months. When you deduct the 3 month qualifying period, the minimum award length for PIP is 9 months.

I've previously posted lots of information about PIP. It is well worth getting help from an advice provider with a PIP claim, as it can be difficult to make a good quality claim for PIP.