Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Capita PIP Consultation.

My Capita PIP Consultation.

This is a description of what happened at my PIP consultation by Capita.

My assessor arrived 15 minutes early, but this was not a problem..I was in the middle of taking my medication and continued to do so.

She introduced herself as Laura(This amused both me and mum - My name is Laura also) so we talked about this for a minute. She informed me that she is a Physiotherapist. She then sat on the sofa and asked how I am today. I told her that I did not get much sleep last night due to increased anxiety. She made note of this on her laptop and asked about my sleep pattern.

She told me that my NEW doctor had sent a supporting letter confirming my disabilities, medication etc

She asked me to confirm all of the above and was there anything else I wanted to add.

I was then asked if I have any hobbies - I did answer that I do read but I can only sit and read for less than 10 minutes at a time due to back pain.

She asked about cooking - I told her that I do not cook but mum and dad cook for me. I told her that I can grab quick snacks like cereal bars. She asked if this is because I cannot stand for long enough to make anything else. I said yes. She made note of this.

She then asked if I wash/shower. I explained that I can not climb over the bath to have a shower so mum washes my hair, back, and feet for me. Mum also added that she often has to prompt me to do this.

Mum also said that when I am told I need to go to an appointment, I am prompted to get ready and look presentable. I was asked if this was due to lack of motivation due to my depression. Mum answered yes.

The same for changing clothes - I can manage to get changed myself, but often need prompting to put fresh clothing.

She then asked about my continence needs. I told her that to having a combination of IBS and a bad knee, I can not always make it to the toilet in time. She noted that I need assistance by prompting to go to the toilet when I start needing it as opposed to when I am desperate. This surprised me!

She then did a peak flow test which was quite low.

She also tested my ability in my legs and my back - she noted that I was struggling to do these because of severe pain.

She then went through the formality questions that were not relevant to me.

I was then asked if I wanted to read everything she had typed into her laptop - I did ask to see it. There was nothing that I didn't say. It was all how I had worded it.

I also asked at the end if I can submit further evidence after the assessment - She stated that I can if I send it directly to the decision maker.

My other observation:

She was friendly, but not overly friendly. She didn't say anything about "I can always appeal the decision if I'm not happy" either, which from what I have read, is a common occurance.

She didn't try and snoop around, either.

Now its just the waiting game. It sounds different to my assessment. I was not shown anything at the end. She ended with I should hear within 30 days and that time was up the beginning or December. I have now been told mid February.

The assessor admitted that there are delays...she started mentioning back payments and then realised, and stopped talking.

She also said my mum should consider putting in a claim for carers allowance.

I'm hoping this means she's writing a favourable report......not going to hold my breath, though!

Well done flowerangelx for getting through the PIP assessment, you can now relax and start looking after yourself, the painful part is over.
    Seems as though your assessment went well and the lady was reasonable. It looks completely different from the ESA assessment and are noting everything you say/do/cannot do.
    Thank you so much for posting how your assessment went, this'll really help me with my assessment next week.
    Take care

I hope it does help you and others hope your assessment goes well!

Well done flower. It sounds like you did a tremendous job of handling the assessment as a team effort with your mum, and of asking the questions you had. Under the circumstances, with two recent bereavements, you did an awesome job. You should be very proud yourself for the way you've copied with the assessment, and I'm glad your courage in going ahead was rewarded by respectful treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerangelx View Post
    I also asked at the end if I can submit further evidence after the assessment - She stated that I can if I send it directly to the decision maker.
    That would make sense. As I said, there has to be some sort of cut off for submission of additional evidence to allow the assessor to finalise their report, and I expect your assessor's answer that any additional evidence must go directly to the Case Manager (as PIP decision makers are called for some reason) is standard practice. In other words, the assessor will consider evidence submitted up to the end of the face to face assessment, but not beyond. If you do send additional evidence to the DWP, I would stress in the covering letter that it is further evidence justifying the functional problems reported at your assessment, not evidence that there has been a change of circumstances.

I know there's no way of knowing what will be in the final report, and there's no point "counting chickens" about the decision, but it does sound as if your assessment was handled sensitively and carefully. This gives some cause for optimism that your functional problems will be taken seriously in the final report and the decision. I'm encouraged to read that the suggested best practice allowing you to read through what had been noted down was followed, as it is far easier to handle any challenges on the spot whenever the assessor feels that is possible.

I can understand that you had never thought of your bladder problems as being a need for prompting to go, but that is the case from what you describe. If it's any consolation, I can need reminding to go, as I cannot feel how full my bladder is most of the time due to sensory nerve problems. I'm predisposed to stagnant bladder contents anyway due to emptying problems as a result of muscle coordination problems. Bladder infections and wetting yourself are no fun!

Sadly now it's just a waiting game, possibly for several more months, before the report makes its way through all the audit and checking stages at Capita. DWP seem to be making most decisions around three weeks after they have answers to all their questions, but if they feel the need to ask Capita additional questions after receiving the report, that will further delay the decision.

Ultimately, you will receive any back money you are due. For now, I hope that you got a reasonable amount of sleep and that you can be gentle on yourself whilst you recover.

Would you be happy for me to post a link to this thread in the sticky PIP thread, or to post a link there yourself? I think it would be helpful to have your report about your assessment linked there.

Thank you for your kind words.

I was surprised when she let me read the contents of what was on the laptop. I'm so glad she did though.

As for the toilet issue..Because I'm not very mobile and walk very slowly at times, I often need telling to go now rather than later. Or reminding to go before I walk up the stairs to go to bed as I have no chance after i've done that. Our bathroom is downstairs.

When the decision arrives, hopefully with a back payment, I will be glad it's over. If not, reconsiderating and an appeal will be happening!

I wouldn't mind you posting a link in the sticky thread at all.

Just to let you know, I had my assessment on 17th September and they cannot confirm that the report will be completed by next Christmas.

I have initiated the complaints procedure.