Thread: ESA mess and we don't know how it all works 'HELP'

Question ESA mess and we don't know how it all works 'HELP'

Truly hoping someone can help us understand ESA.

My son suffered a brain tumour in June 2013. He is 26 years old. He received SSP until Jan 2014. He is still signed off work and was advised to claim ESA.

Today we had a letter saying he cannot get ESA because he hasn't paid enough NIC, and they are not paying income-related because they claim he currently receives more money than the Govt say he needs to live on.

The only income he has is £53.39 working tax credit. I understood that at 26 he should be in receipt of £70+ Income related ESA.

He has no other income source. He lives alone, but needs to top up rent, pay for heating etc.

We are at a loss. What do we do now?

I would suggest you contact a trained benefits adviser, like CAB, local to you, have you/he checked with your Local Authority to see if he qualifies for Housing Benefit ??. If so that may qualify him for Income Related ESA, though I'm unsure on that - contact that adviser and ask for a full benefits check.

All the best with it

Have you informed working tax credit that he is no longer working? If its working tax credit he claims and no child tax credits then I assume he must be working to get it and he clearly is not so he should perhaps get that claim closed down first if he no longer gets his wages (SSP).
    This would then open up his claim for income related esa maybe and other benefits.
    Perhaps someone with more knowledge will be along and hope you get it sorted quickly.

glasgowadviser
    if his ssp has finished then he shouldn't be getting working tax credits. HMRC need to be informed that he is no longer in work.

its hard to say re esa as we don't know if he has capital etc that could impact on his esa.

speak to an advice agency re the esa and also looking at a potential claim to PIP.