Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Housing, and that bedroom tax!

Housing, and that bedroom tax!

Newish, well new to the latest YRA site anyway

We are, in the words of the housing and SS, a complex case.

Our needs are, adapted dwelling for my gf to have an accessible shower, me for room with medical equipment (dialysis and storage). I currently live with parents, she with her adult son. We're trying to move in together, me relocating from London to Shropshire.

Without extra income we cannot afford to have a third space for my treatment, despite our needs, without some extra income. Housing benefit only covers 2 bedrooms.
    Even if we do get the 'temporary allowances' that councils have there's no guarantee they will continue.

Any ideas? We've looked at 2 bedroom dwellings with extra space. In terms of accessibility these are rare as a very rare thing. We both get DLA, ESA, and probably PIP when it comes in.

We're hoping to come to a solution this year.. Any ideas would be very very welcome.

J

Im confused..if you and your gf move in together surely you need 1 bedroom for you 2 and 1 for the dialysis stuff?? Hb only pays for one leaving you needing to pay the 14% for the other??? Thats around £15 a week which between you is £7.50 each?? But do you even need a bedroom for the dialysis stuff?? My husbands mum was on capd and stored it under her stairs. She had fortnightly deliveries?? Maybe talk to the hospital about getting deliveries more often?? I know mil coukd choose monthly or fortnightly so she chose fortnightly to save on space.

Angel5k13, for someone who started a thread on here about their baby son's skin condition and being turned down for DLA - you come across as very judgemental towards others.

TheFlyingKidney - have a chat with Shelter - they may be able to give you a better idea of your and your gf's entitlements.

Quote Originally Posted by angel2k13 View Post
    Im confused..if you and your gf move in together surely you need 1 bedroom for you 2 and 1 for the dialysis stuff?? Hb only pays for one leaving you needing to pay the 14% for the other??? Thats around £15 a week which between you is £7.50 each?? But do you even need a bedroom for the dialysis stuff?? My husbands mum was on capd and stored it under her stairs. She had fortnightly deliveries?? Maybe talk to the hospital about getting deliveries more often?? I know mil coukd choose monthly or fortnightly so she chose fortnightly to save on space.
    I'm on heamo, and PD is not an option,, due to our situation we cannot afford to have stairs, (GF has MS so cannot manage). Even with 2 weekly. Sorry if my post wasn't clear, GF has an adult son who still lives with, hence 3 bedrooms. I will query with the delivery company and my nurse about 2 weekly deliveries.. Its that extra 14 percent, 15 quid a week that IS the issue if your on a very tight budget.

Also suitable dwellings, and landlords that will accept adaptions needed are very very scarce.

have to agree with rich ward,Angel5k13 says on the one hand that an extra twenty pounds a week would make all the difference so that she can get taxi,s to the medical appts. for her baby, yet trivializes losing fifteen pounds per week for bedroom tax (which actually could be more than fifteen, I was paying 17-50 a week for one spare room until recently, and it was clear to me that the son needed a room also.
    I do hope the OP can get some professional advice as the situation is complex
    Some people have had the bedroom tax waived because of needing the room for medical equipment, but as there are no hard and fast rules he would need to know before moving exactly what the costs would be

As a general principle, I think it's best to avoid commenting negatively on other people's needs, especially in a way that appears to privilege our own needs.

Empathising with those with different needs to our own can be difficult. Many of us are under a lot of stress. It can be difficult to put our struggles into words sometimes. Pain, exhaustion and cognitive dysfunction that can blight our lives. It is no surprise that sometimes we comment in haste and read too much into other people's words.

I urge everyone to avoid an "us and them" attitude. Disabled people get used to being judged by others. It's refreshing if we can avoid judging each other.

So far as the original poster's needs go, they are indeed tricky. I can identify personally with this situation, as I live a separate life from the person I love and see her very rarely (around once a year if I'm lucky). Much of the problem is housing, as we are both disabled. I live with my parents and she lives in a tiny one bedroom flat that isn't wheelchair accessible.

There is no entitlement 'by rights' to extra space for reasons relating to disability, though these needs can create a discretionary entitlement to funding via Discretionary Housing Payments. I presume the two bedroom figure for Housing Benefit assumes that the girlfriend's adult son will live with the couple, as the couple will only be entitled to one bedroom for themselves.

There is ongoing appeal action over the definition of bedroom for "bedroom tax" purposes, based on the argument that only rooms usable as sleeping accommodation should be counted as bedrooms. I have considerable sympathy with this approach and believe that the way the law is currently drafted supports this approach. However, it would be unworkable in practice and I am sure the Government will amend the law to defeat it if the courts support this approach and the Government intends to continue with the "bedroom tax" policy.

Ultimately, it is better to be in a situation that clearly does not rely on the continuation of discretionary support if that is possible.

I read angel2k13's post as suggesting ways to minimise storage. Ultimately, it depends whether the original poster uses CAPD or haemodialysis. It might be possible to get away without an extra room with CAPD and regular deliveries, but haemodialysis is always going to take a lot of space.

What I'm unclear about is what is wrong with the girlfriend's current property. Presumably it already has two bedrooms (one for the woman, and the other for her son) and accessible shower facilities. Is there any hope of having this property extended to meet the original poster's needs?

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    have to agree with rich ward,Angel5k13 says on the one hand that an extra twenty pounds a week would make all the difference so that she can get taxi,s to the medical appts. for her baby, yet trivializes losing fifteen pounds per week for bedroom tax (which actually could be more than fifteen, I was paying 17-50 a week for one spare room until recently, and it was clear to me that the son needed a room also.
    I do hope the OP can get some professional advice as the situation is complex
    Some people have had the bedroom tax waived because of needing the room for medical equipment, but as there are no hard and fast rules he would need to know before moving exactly what the costs would be
    Hi im so sorry about the way my reply came across....completely unintentional on my part....once again so so sorry

dont worry, Angel12k13, sometimes we all interpret posts differently, and we are all stressed at some point or other for various reasons

My GF's needs have changed over the past year with MS getting worse. Its a 2 bed house at the moment with stairs and a non accessable shower/bath.

Also the rental contract means I cannot co habit with her (Its a church/diocese landlord). It would be a lot of hassle for us both to move more than once.
    We've both been to housing, SS, etc etc, so just looking at alternatives, a bungalow with space for a portacabin in the garden and friendly landlord, or a conservatory big enough for dialysis., basically space that ISN"T deemed a bedroom.
    On rental these are very very very rare. Non existent in council properties and rare in private rentals.

I'm really just trying to query if anyone has any experiences, successes, or alternative suggestions..
    In terms of the bedroom tax, myself together with representatives from a national supporting charity for kidney patients HAVE been to the house of commons to set the case. Watch this space as they say.

Best

TheFlyingKidney and reddivine

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    dont worry, Angel12k13, sometimes we all interpret posts differently, and we are all stressed at some point or other for various reasons
    Thankyou i feel awful as this sites been so helpful and supportive to me and the 1st chance i get to offer advice i mess it up.