Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Buying online - what's your experience

I've had DPD deliveries a couple of times when buying stuff from Germany (a lot cheaper than here!) and they've been spot on, precise tracking and a 30min delivery window. Worst by far are MyHermes and Yodel, I know they're franchises but the ones in my area are absolutely useless.

I waited all day the other Friday for parts to upgrade my daughters laptop before she went off to Uni, guaranteed delivery, package is out for delivery, def. coming etc. etc. etc. A man in a white van dropped it off Saturday afternoon, I asked what happened to Friday?, he said he didn't think there'd be anyone in during a week day so didn't bother coming!!!.
    Last edited by phaedra; 01-10-14 at 16:43.

I agree with flowerangelx, I like online shopping because you can avoid crowds and lack of space down aisles in shops. I like to physically buy things from shops so you can see/feel the material etc but it does avoid crowds and rude people.

I've found Clark & Partners to be really helpful for online shopping, they have a lot to choose from with wheelchairs and accessories. They do lots of products. I'm on their mailing list and got this email last week: http://bit.ly/1sHAtv7

I find their products to be of high quality, which isn't always a guarantee online. But it's definitely made shopping more convenient for me.

Where does everyone else online shop?

Quote Originally Posted by peggy1 View Post
    I agree with flowerangelx, I like online shopping because you can avoid crowds and lack of space down aisles in shops. I like to physically buy things from shops so you can see/feel the material etc but it does avoid crowds and rude people.

I've found Clark & Partners to be really helpful for online shopping, they have a lot to choose from with wheelchairs and accessories. They do lots of products. I'm on their mailing list and got this email last week: http://bit.ly/1sHAtv7

I find their products to be of high quality, which isn't always a guarantee online. But it's definitely made shopping more convenient for me.

Where does everyone else online shop?
    I tend to use a mix of on-line places, Sainsbury's for my non perishable goods - great to have heavy items brought in. Amazon for a mix of things even down to buying a mother's day card - I couldn't go out to buy it and bought it on-line. It was perfect.

The clothing shops, if I've bought from them and know the sizing will fit, I order on-line.

Well, what a service from Amazon - you really can't beat the price, communications or delivery service.

I went online to buy some coffee discs for my coffee maker and Amazon were selling them 33% less than in the supermarket so I've bought a job lot.

I had the option of a free trial run for Prime delivery which would have arrived today either am or pm.

As it's not urgent I opted for normal delivery which gives you a window of 3 days from the 19th Jan to 21 Jan.

I noticed that Amazon sent me an update this morning saying the delivery would be today.

It turned up at 10am this morning - 17 hours after making the online order - excellent!

I use Ocado for groceries. I use Etsy a fair bit for pressies and jewellery supplies. I won't buy plants online or clothes (too many disasters there!)
    Done most of my Xmas shopping online for the past 3 years. Wheelchairs and manic crowds do NOT mix.
    However a girl must do SOME actual shopping. LT wouldn't understand, its a GURL thing!
    We just bought a printer online...after Jman did the research for us!

That is until thing go wrong.
    I bought an expensive office chair that specs met my needs. After 6 weeks the base was flat. They did replace the base and the same thing happened again. They are now saying they won't refund because I have had it over 2 weeks. The problem took 6 weeks to show up.
    Now doing battle with them as they want to replace the seat yet again and me to return at my expense the original one in spite of me saying there is no way I can get it anywhere to return it. They have offered a 3rd replacement seat that I have rejected so I don't get deeper into the mire.
    Interestingly they no longer supply this particular chair.

Having said all that it is the 1st time I have had a real problem with a retailer. Looks as if I may have to write it off and pay out again.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    That is until thing go wrong.
    I bought an expensive office chair that specs met my needs. After 6 weeks the base was flat. They did replace the base and the same thing happened again. They are now saying they won't refund because I have had it over 2 weeks. The problem took 6 weeks to show up.
    Now doing battle with them as they want to replace the seat yet again and me to return at my expense the original one in spite of me saying there is no way I can get it anywhere to return it. They have offered a 3rd replacement seat that I have rejected so I don't get deeper into the mire.
    Interestingly they no longer supply this particular chair.

Having said all that it is the 1st time I have had a real problem with a retailer. Looks as if I may have to write it off and pay out again.
    Have you thought about quoting the Sale of Goods Act as the product may not be 'fit for purpose'.

Check your rights http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...979-as-amended

Yes I have already done that to no avail. Just waiting for another reply then if that is not satisfactory it will look like the Small Claims Court. I really haven't the energy at the moment to go down that route, but I suppose if needs must.
    I am now sitting on this chair that is totally uncomfortable as I am sitting on the board and it is playing havoc with my sciatic nerve and the cramps resulting from my knee.
    Wish I had an alternative.

This is a very outline answer - let me know if you need more detail.

The same failure twice in the first few weeks of use indicates the product is not fit for the implied purpose of supporting you when you sit (s. 14(3) Sale of Goods Act 1979) and is not fit for purpose (s. 14(2) SoGA). Your contract is with the retailer, so it is the retailer's problem to sort it out. If they want to claim from the manufacturer to offset their losses, that is up to them.

Both the s. 14(2) and s. 14(3) rights are conditions of the contract, though they do not apply if you have accepted the goods by retaining them from delivery for a reasonable time without intimating rejection of the goods (s. 11(4) SoGA). As the fault took six weeks to show up and you have already acceded to one repair, I cannot see the retailer successfully claiming you have accepted the goods.

A breach of either the s. 14(2) or s. 14(3) right gives you the right to terminate the contract of sale for a full refund.

There are also rights under SoGA to repair or replacement of the item, but it sounds like you want a refund, so I won't go further into those.

If you paid directly by a credit card and the total price of the item (not including delivery) is more than £100 but less than £30,000, the credit provider is jointly liable for any breach of contract (s. 75 Consumer Credit Act 1974). It is your choice whether to proceed against the retailer, the credit provider or both - if the retailer is being awkward, it's best to put the Sale of Goods Act case directly to the credit provider and make them solely liable. It's then up to them to proceed against the retailer.

Credit providers often try playing tricks over s. 75, by claiming it is inapplicable to your case or that they know nothing about it. They hate it, because they are left with the losses that is someone else's fault - but they know very well this is the law and should build this into the cost of doing business.

If you paid by credit card through an intermediary organisation such as PayPal (where you pay PayPal and they pay the retailer), you paid by a charge card (where you have to pay off the entire bill each month) or a debit card (where the money comes directly from your account), you have no rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. However, you may be able to recover some money via the card's chargeback scheme - contact the issuer. Be aware that chargeback is discretionary, whereas a s. 75 refund is a matter of right.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Yes I have already done that to no avail. Just waiting for another reply then if that is not satisfactory it will look like the Small Claims Court. I really haven't the energy at the moment to go down that route, but I suppose if needs must.
    I am now sitting on this chair that is totally uncomfortable as I am sitting on the board and it is playing havoc with my sciatic nerve and the cramps resulting from my knee.
    Wish I had an alternative.
    I've just posted an outline of the relevant law.

If you intend taking it to court, you need to send the retailer a Letter before Claim - you can probably find various templates online. If the Letter before Claim doesn't produce results in a reasonable time, the cheapest way of filing Small Claims track proceedings is via the MoneyClaim Online service. If you are on certain benefits you can claim remission of the court fees, though if you have to pay court fees don't forget to add them to them amount you are claiming.

A tip - write the core of the Letter before Claim as if it is the particulars of claim for a court filing. That way, you merely have to paste these particulars into the MoneyClaim Online form and add a comment about the Letter before Claim not being responded to rather than go to the effort of devising new particulars of claim.