Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disabled parking

Disabled parking

Hi
    Recently wrote email to Asda Customer services over disabled parking in Asda Wigan as even though it has warning signs stating a £70 parking fine for not displaying a valid blue badge its not being patrolled/enforced anymore.
    In the past 12 mths I've witnessed boy racer and vans all abusing the parking bays.
    The reply from Asda is they will ask the trolley collectors to keep an eye on parking and report which I find strange as they are supposed to have employed a private car parking enforement company to patrol.
    I visited Asda today I noticed nothing has changed still being abused without no enforcement so shame on you Asda Wigan

And to that you can add Asda Stanley, Washington, Metro Centre and Boldon. All exactly the same which is one of the main reasons I no longer go shopping apart from my local Herons who have a massive car park with no disabled spaces but I can always get a space fairly close to the shop.

Conversely the Tesco Extra next door has 3 disabled spaces and I can never get in any of them for lazy ~@$*!!. I even got threatened by a Taxi driver last week when I complained about him parking a mini bus in one and preventing a rather frail looking old woman from being able to get back in her car as he'd parked so close to her.

Same here in Boston!

I think all supermarkets have the same problem and the spaces are never policed regardless of what they say. We always go mid evening when we have more chance of getting a space.

I saw something on facebbok the other day about this. I can't remember what country it was, but a lot of wheelchair and disability scooter users took over a huge part of a car park, using the ordinary bays. Able bodied drivers were all complaining etc, to be told, "now you know how it feels". I thought it was an excellent idea to try and get the message across. I think there are plans afoot to try and organise similar "parking protests" in the UK.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    I saw something on facebbok the other day about this. I can't remember what country it was, but a lot of wheelchair and disability scooter users took over a huge part of a car park, using the ordinary bays. Able bodied drivers were all complaining etc, to be told, "now you know how it feels". I thought it was an excellent idea to try and get the message across. I think there are plans afoot to try and organise similar "parking protests" in the UK.
    Yes I saw that too on Facebook

My local Asda (Chelmsford) has the same parking notices.

About once a week, somebody turns up from the parking enforrcement company and checks the disabled spaces, and issues fixed penalty "fines" to any not displaying a blue badge.

About a month ago, a very elderly and unstable gent clearly disabled showed me the notice, he had forgotten to display his BB, but his car was taxed as disabled. He went to customer service but all they said was write tothe parking company.

Please be aware that parking in disabled bays on private car parks is not an offence and so you cannot be fined as such. The old gent should simply just ignore any 'fine' coming to him.

The only way to stop the abuse is by educating people, please do not generalise and put all boy racers and van drivers in the same bracket.

My wife drives a 'boy racer' car and on occasion I use it, I display my badge correctly but I suppose you will tag me as one of those a users too, especially as I don't 'look disabled'?

It's very important that you don't start threatening people (remember the bloke who was killed whilst arguing about a bay?) especially when you don't know their medical history. It's just not worth it.

I have been surveying my workplace car parks as we get several abusers on site, the difference here is that you can be sacked for gross misconduct if you repeatedly reoffend. I have pushed a director (earning £1m+) all the way to the top and got written apologies from them including donations to disability charities! - What really helped was naming and shaming him on our Internal Social Media site (Yammer), that really sped up my grievance.

The best thing you can do is write to your MP using the sample letter from DMUK (you could join too as I have) www.disabledmotoring.org
    Last edited by Paul; 04-07-2014 at 09:20 AM.

My local Tesco thankfully has lots of disabled bays but I think that makes people think it's ok to park in them. It doesn't occur to them that if I have to park 2 bays further from the entrance because of their actions that that means a lot more pain for me on days when every step hurts.

It is dangerous to make assumptions about people but we all do it. I think it's best not to say anything though as you never know. I think we all know that when we see someone young sprinting into Tesco at 6pm to get their supper and parking in the disabled parking bay that they are more likely to be lazy and thoughtless than disabled, but I always hold my tongue just in case. I have glared at a few people recently and I came close a couple of weeks ago to saying something to 3 young men who I am pretty sure were using a badge belonging to someone else. One advantage of the new badge style is that you can see the gender and date of birth of the person the badge is issued to on the front. If you wait until the person has gone from sight and check the badge you can see who the badge is issued to. There is a possibility someone could be picking up the badge holder but if you suspect abuse you can report it to the issuing authority (named on the front of the badge).

I am also hesitant to be annoyed when there is no blue badge displayed. If it just says disabled parking and not blue badge holders, then then it is not necessary to display a badge. Before I got my badge I parked in disabled bays. I had hassle getting the badge but I needed to park close to the entrance or I just couldn't go anywhere. So I decided that in car parks etc if it said badge holders only I would respect that and not park there, but if not I would park there as I was genuinely disabled (which was clearly obvious to anyone observing me get out of my car) and was parking there out of need and not laziness. There are also some people who cannot get a badge, eg those with temporary conditions, but who may also have a genuine need. I have had some involvement with issuing blue badges in the past and I am rather sceptical of the scheme but I think it's the best way there is of deciding who should park in disabled parking bays. I just know that there are many people with badges who do not meet the criteria and some who do but don't have a badge. The scheme is very poorly administered and inconsistent across local authorities and there are a lot of fraudulently obtained badges out there. There was a time when I would have tut tutted at cars parked in disabled bays not displaying a badge but now I have a different perspective.