Thread: Example of what I written.

Example of what I written.

Filling in pip form and used tips from Flymo, does this sound like the sort of thing needed. This is from the mobility section.

G****** cannot travel alone safely or reliably. She cannot use public transport due to various factors. She cannot cope with physical contact and sitting/standing on a bus tram in contact with anyone would cause distress and she would leave as soon as possible, not having any road safety skills and being unable to judge speeds/distances means her safety would be compromised. Any change of route/ plan would distress and confuse her and she is very scared of travelling alone and communicating with strangers. From a medical point of view her issues with 'blank spells' where she goes into a world of her own means being out alone is not a safe option and not something I would expect she could cope with reliably.Thank you to any one who can tell me if this sounds ok. As you can tell I am having nightmares over this

Quote Originally Posted by jaynethornhill View Post
    Filling in pip form and used tips from Flymo, does this sound like the sort of thing needed. This is from the mobility section.

Flymo would be the best person to comment on this. I'm no expert on PIP but in the absence of any responses thought I'd make a few comments. I won't be offended if you disagree or ignore them. At the end of reading your post I was left wondering if Gwas totally incapable of being out on their own or whether they would just find it difficult.

Have put some comments and questions in amongst your post.

G****** cannot travel alone safely or reliably. She cannot use public transport due to various factors. what factors do you mean and what would happen if 'G' tried to do this?Would this happen every time?

She cannot cope with physical contact and sitting/standing on a bus tram in contact with anyone would cause distress and she would leave as soon as possible, not having any road safety skills and being unable to judge speeds/distances means her safety would be compromised.

Why ? Would G be so distressed they would get off and be in such a blind panic panic she would rush out in front of a car on a busy road ? Has this happened beforehand can you give an example?

Any change of route/ plan would distress and confuse her and she is very scared of travelling alone and communicating with strangers.

Can G cope if the bus was late or would this also cause an anxiety attack. You say G is very scared but could G manage despite being scared? What would happen if G found themself in this position? Are there any previous incidents you can use as examples?

From a medical point of view her issues with 'blank spells' where she goes into a world of her own means being out alone is not a safe option and not something I would expect she could cope with reliably.

You say due to blank spells being out alone would not be something you expect she could cope with reliably? This suggests she could sometimes cope , in which case how often could she cope and how often couldn't she? Also the use of the word expert infers an assumption on your part. Would be better if you could use examples of previous situations

Thank you to any one who can tell me if this sounds ok. As you can tell I am having nightmares over this
    Just some thoughts from a lay person reading this, and I'm unclear on what descriptor you're aiming for? Just think you need to flesh it out with some more detail to personalise it to the individual and remove some of the dubiety in the wording you've used. The detail you give has to be relevant to the question but has to convey the effect on the individual preferably with examples used in daily life instances.

Have posted this from an IPad so not being sure how they work hope this post isn't a mess and makes sense.

Hopefully some others with PIP experience will add some more info for you.

Hi Jayne,

I've now made a detailed reply to your earlier request for help, which I hope is illuminating.

What you've written here is a very good start, and nothing I say is intended to undermine the good work you've already done. Rather, I'm helping you polish up what you've done.

I wouldn't start with the conclusion about your daughter's inability to travel. I would take each issue in turn, building up a picture. I would also take care to avoid vague phrases ('various factors') and include references to duration of problems ('always', 'at least five days a week' and so on).

Here's a suggested version - obviously some of what I have written may not be correct or appropriate:
    G often finds the outside world a distressing place, as she struggles with any situation where she is not in full control of her surroundings and tends to panic due to this lack of control. She is able to undertake journeys, though on at least five days a week would need someone prompting and reassuring her in order to overcome her distress.

G always finds it distressing to have strangers in close proximity, especially in busy situations. This is seen in her inability to eat in her school canteen [here, I would add just a few words to flesh out why she finds the canteen so oppressive and maybe given an example or two about what happened when she has tried to use it].

If G was intending to get on a bus or train, she would have limited information about the situation she would face before boarding and the situation could change markedly during her journey. She may well panic when the vehicle is in motion and she is unable to leave. G's problems with situations where she is not in control of her surroundings mean she is never able to use any form of public transport.

G has no problems planning routes.

Familiar surroundings help reassure G, but she would always struggle to follow a route without assistance, even if it was familiar with her. [Add some explanation of how she struggles to stay on task, ideally in an outdoor context, and ideally with some examples]. G finds unexpected change difficult, and she would always find it very distressing to deal with a straightforward change to her plans, even when the route and the surroundings are familiar to her. [Add further explanation if you can, for example showing that she is a creature of habit - maybe something from her Asperger's or OCD is relevant].

G is unable to judge speed and distance, also she has limited road safety skills. At any time, she can enter a 'blank spell' where she is not fully aware of her surroundings, further compromising her ability to keep herself safe. [Again, if you can insert some examples or other information to flesh out these problems, do so]. [If she is unable to deal appropriately with 'stranger danger', explain that here]. Her inability to deal appropriately with these common hazards mean she would always be in danger undertaking a journey without someone to accompany her, even on a familiar route. G would always need to be accompanied by another person when undertaking a journey, as no aid or assistance dog could provide the support she needs to undertake journeys safely.

I hope this helps. It's really just fleshing out what you had into a complete picture, but I hope you can see how I, as someone who doesn't know G, could understand her problems planning and following routes from my description.

Thank you Flymo for explaining so eloquently some of the things I was trying to say . Also looks like I need to brush up on my IPad skills as most of my attempts to use a different colour font in between parts of the original post failed? Lol

Hope you are ok and not overdoing things between posting valuable help on here as well as managing your studies and illness.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouslyfedup View Post
    Thank you Flymo for explaining so eloquently some of the things I was trying to say . Also looks like I need to brush up on my IPad skills as most of my attempts to use a different colour font in between parts of the original post failed? Lol

Hope you are ok and not overdoing things between posting valuable help on here as well as managing

your studies and illness.

Thank you to both of you, very good information