Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Event - EventCity, Manchester (Fri 16 May - Sat 17 May)

To all who are going to this Event.

Please, Please post lots of Photographs and details of this event as I like many others will find the distance too great to travel to. For me it is over 500 Miles away and as such it would take me 4 days to drive down and 4 Days back again. This is just too much for me so any details and Photographs would be greatly appreciated.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Well, it's going to be a beautiful and hot sunny day here in the North West. So I think I'll treat the world by wearing my shorts.

Hope I don't frighten the guests if they allow me in to the event today.

Photos will be taken - as to whether they are of a quality worthy of posting to the world is another matter!

Eccles cakes

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Catlover and Paul - will try to get there myself early on Friday. I believe all electric scooters have been pre-booked already so I'll just wing it and hope to persuade the organisers to loan me a scooter for a few hours on the day.

I wonder if they are open to bribery - a fiver or an Eccles cake - which do you think will work!
    My mom was a cofectioner and she told me once what went into Eccles cakes......never EVER ate one after that!!!!!
    Elf and Safety would have had a FIT, if they existed then.

No problem getting here. Golf buggies in car park getting peiople to entrance. Met a couple from Telford. Took them. 2 hours to get here - commitment !

No problem getting here. Golf buggies in car park getting peiople to entrance. Met a couple from Telford. Took them. 2 hours to get here - commitment !
    I hope you have a GREAT Day! Have lots of FUN and take Lots of Photo's and please give us a good description and your thoughts of the event. Wish I was there,
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Well, it's going to be a beautiful and hot sunny day here in the North West. So I think I'll treat the world by wearing my shorts.

Hope I don't frighten the guests if they allow me in to the event today.
    Perhaps it's fortuitous that I am going tomorrow?

Sooooo here goes. Successful interesting morning but I;m glad I got there early.

Many exhibitors of standard brand cars as well as specially designed wheelchair accessible models.

The event was very well organised and there was plenty to see and try out.

I didn't trial any cars out but you could book an appointment to drive certain models providing you took your paper driving licence with you.

Plenty of room between stands. Sales people weren't pushy but would take your email address if you wanted more information.

I've always like the look of the 'Mini' - tried sitting in one - now all dreams of leasing one have gone up in smoke as it doesn't meet my access needs.

I tried out a number of MPVs but none really come close to the Renault Scenic. I'll glad aI tested the new version out as it doesn't disappoint.

-automatic lights
    - auto window wipers
    - electronic handbrake
    - radio controls on righthand stalks
    - bluetooth
    - racing bucket seats for comfort and support
    - easy access in and out
    - low door cills that don't catch your foot
    - high level boot

There are so many other plus points for this car that meet my access needs that it's worth paying extra for the automatic

Anyway here are a few photos I took earlier.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini-cooper-s.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	959

Mini - the car I like that doesn't like me.

Name:	wheelchair-storage.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	960

Handy way to store and get your manual wheelchair.

Name:	VW-Tourian.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	961

VW Tourian

Name:	Merc-B-Clsass.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	962

Mercedes B-Class - nice car with loads of fancy features - my second choice.

Name:	Ford-Adapt.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	963

Wow - well done Ford - not come across this before!
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 16-05-14 at 14:56.

Missing it this year, but have fun all

We also managed to get there with the 4yr old in tow at lunch time. I won't be doing that again in a hurry though!

Some very strange scooter riders who thought we should be moving out of their way, when they had moved on to the 'green' footpaths, and asking my daughter to move or be run over! I can't write what I said to him!

"Children's area" consisted of a bouncy castle, balloon modeller and face painting - little one had lots of fun, perhaps a bit too much as she went loopy and demanded that I should carry her, I kept on stating I couldn;t as "daddy has a bad back" but she wouldn't take no for an answer and started screaming the place down - if any of you saw a little orange-haired girl with a grumpy face, that was my daughter lol. We left soon afterwards as it was far too warm in there, and too many people staring at us, which really didn't help matters - adopted children don't like to be stared at.

In between all that we managed to have a sit in the new Qashqai, which is very nice in the driver's compartment but the rear is disappointing and seat height is lower than the original.
    The new X-Trail however, has the height, 90deg opening rear doors and a huge boot, definitely different to the baby brother Qasqhai.

The other half went and sat in a Fiat 500 MPW but got accosted as soon as she sat on the seat! Put us off looking at it any more.

The 1-Series was a beautiful shade of burnt orange but it was like I was lying down to drive, not my style although it was comfortable - but for how long as your hips are rolled forwards!

Other half was surprised by the Seat Leon's boot, it was huge, as was the Volvo V40's - but that had a feel of an old person's car (as said by my daughter)!

Managed to look at the Ford Tourneo and Kuga but disappointed as the interiors all look the same as the CMax - far too many buttons on the dash.

Really liked the Citroen C4 Picasso, but the rear seats were too flat, and probably uncomfortable for long journeys but great sized boot.

Looked at the TGA Supersport scooter but felt like the designers were trying too hard, much preferred the Sonet but I feel like I could really do with a compact, leave in the boot scooter for my first one. They aren't really attractive or appealing for a 30-something.

Pleased with the free drinks vouchers though, 3 soft-drink bottles was much nicer than a a cup of tea or coffee, it was 21C outside!

After the show we drove round to the front of the Trafford Centre and went to the food hall for our first taste of a Nando's - wasn't that impressed.

We then treated ourselves (and daughter) to Legoland Discovery Centre, definitely for children rather than adults but that didn't stop there being more adults than children there! We were still there 3.5 hours later, only leaving to go home at 6:30pm!

End of a long, but great family day out.
    Last edited by Paul; 16-05-14 at 21:01.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

I agree Lighttouch the New Renault Scenic a really Great Car, this is the one I have. I have had it only a few months now but I am very pleased with it, great MPG as well.

Thanks for the Photo's as they are very high Quality but if you have any mopre Photo's please post them.
    Edgar Allen Poe