Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Capita assessment.

Capita assessment.

Well, I had 2 letters from Capita this morning. One dated 01/05, the other dated 03/05. First was for PIP assessment appointment, second was a reminder. My appointment is for Monday morning. (short notice, I feel)
    I am happy that things seem to be moving fairly quickly, (I sent off my forms late Feb) but I am worrying about the assessment.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    Well, I had 2 letters from Capita this morning. One dated 01/05, the other dated 03/05. First was for PIP assessment appointment, second was a reminder. My appointment is for Monday morning. (short notice, I feel)
    I am happy that things seem to be moving fairly quickly, (I sent off my forms late Feb) but I am worrying about the assessment.
    It is short nice but I have to say snap it up and go lol ! With many people waiting 6 months or more just to have their f2f, I would say you are lucky. I wasnt too long, My forms were received Sept 13 and had my f2f mid Jan 14.

There is a lot of information on here that will guide you through the assessment so I would use the weekend to read through them and get your mind settled as much as you can. Familiarise yourself with the descriptors and how it affects your life.
    It is a daunting thought but I found the Capita Pip assessment for more comfortable than the grilling you get with a Atos ESA one

I wish you every success and look forward to seeing how you felt about it afterwards x

Thanks Kate.
    I have been reading through all the sticky threads regarding PIP, and finding it very informative.
    I have to say, my experience with ESA was not too bad. I am in Support group.
    I have been on HRM and HRC for DLA approx 8 years now. Having a home assessment is a plus for me as I am not good at going out to strange places etc. Also, the assessor will be able to see all the adaptations/equipment etc in my home. I am just hoping they will not want me to do too much moving about etc as I know this will leave me in a lot of pain and feeling poorly for a few days.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Hi babyblu, I honestly wouldn't worry about the Capita assessment. I needlessly worried and fretted and the nurse was lovely. Very respectful of me and my home etc. She was friendly and made me feel at ease.
    She offered to let me taket a break etc when she could see I was in pain.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    Thanks Kate.
    I have been reading through all the sticky threads regarding PIP, and finding it very informative.
    I have to say, my experience with ESA was not too bad. I am in Support group.
    I have been on HRM and HRC for DLA approx 8 years now. Having a home assessment is a plus for me as I am not good at going out to strange places etc. Also, the assessor will be able to see all the adaptations/equipment etc in my home. I am just hoping they will not want me to do too much moving about etc as I know this will leave me in a lot of pain and feeling poorly for a few days.
    At home you would be more comfortable and the assessor can see how you manage ( or not). They wont make you do anything you are uncomfortable with or that would cause you pain, so just tell them if they ask you to do something you are not happy with. Good Luck

Hi, this is my first post so please excuse me if it is in the wrong place. In January I was sent ESA50 renewal. I have been in WRAG since Nov 2012. Today I received decision that I have been placed in support group. My condition has not changed, but this time I had the disability organisation fill in the forms for me, whereas last time I foolishly just filled it out myself. Therefore I feel that really I should have been in support group all along but obviously struggled with forms and could not explain my conditions appropriately. Nevertheless, my actual question is : how do I know how long it has been ganted for? At the end of where it says "so the amount you are going to get each week is ****" it goes on to say "The amounts on this page apply from 1 May 2014 to 23 September 2020" Is that a standard letter, or is that how long I am placed in that group till I get the forms again? I would be grateful if anyone out there knows. Thank you.

As the others have said, keep focusing on the positives. Now that you've read through some of the assessment experiences in the sticky PIP thread and linked from it, it's probably a good idea read over your answers on the PIP2 and make notes on anything you want to stress or add to the answers you gave. Other than those things and trying to figure out how best to deal with "typical day" format of questioning (broaden it to a typical week or fortnight if that makes it easier to explain your problems), I'd concentrate on what rest you can beforehand.

All the best for Monday.

Thanks for all the replies and good luck wishes everyone.
    I am trying not to worry too much. I know I will be flipping out by Monday though, I do not deal well with strangers, especially coming into my home. My partner will be with me as my main carer, also my Mum in law may be here as well. She also helps out with my care.
    Will the assessor make a note of the new meds I am on?
    If they ask me to do things that I am unable to do, I will explain why I cannot do them. I know some people have had put on their assessment that they refused to do things, so I want it to be clear that I cannot do things, not that I am refusing.

It's best to have all your medication available for the assessor to record. You can point out anything that's new and explain the change.

Any physical examination or assessment typically comes at the end, having had extensive chance to explain your problems. It took around 75 minutes to reach that point in my PIP assessment. By then, the assessor may well have a pretty good idea anyway, not least by watching you and writing down "informal observations". My assessor said she could see I was getting tired, also that my posture had deteriorated in my wheelchair, which I explained was down to my tired muscles.

If you demonstrate a willingness to engage with a physical assessment so far as you can, and explain clearly why something might be inappropriate or risky, you will amongst certainly be OK. The aim is to reassure your assessor that your problems are genuine without placing yourself at risk.

Assessors are naturally wary of anyone who adamant about totally refusing a physical assessment, especially if there is not good medical evidence of the claimed problems, as how can they tell whether that person is genuine, exaggerating their problems or completely bogus?

If your attitude throughout has been open and transparent, you have done your utmost to help the assessor and there's one thing you are asked to do that you refuse with reasons, it is unlikely to go against you.

A good technique if you are asked to do anything inappropriate is to offer an alternative way to demonstrate the problems you have. For example, if I am asked to walk when my legs are bad, I explain where the muscles have gone into spasm and ask if the person examining me wants to feel the lumps, either by lifting my trouser leg or through my clothes.

Thanks for the advice Flymo.
    I will try to comply if the assessor asks me to do things, even if it causes me pain/problems. As you say, they would then be able to better judge the difficulties I have. As I said, my partner will be here, so he would be able to help me out of the chair etc if I need to do anything. When I have had previous assessments for DLA, after trying to do things asked for by the assessor, I have been left in a great deal of pain, but the assessor was able to see the effects.
    At my ftf for ESA, I went to an assessmnet centre and I was in my wheelchair, the assessor did not ask me to do anything. I do not use my wheelchair indoors as it is attendant pushed type.
    I will be collecting all my meds together this morning, ready to show the assessor. Plus any paperwork that I feel would be relevant.
    The other concern is that I hardly saw my previous GP, as there is little he could do for me. So I don't think they would have much input from him. My new GP I saw for the first time last week, but they do not have his details anyway. I will give them his details at the interview in case they wish to contact him.
    I am worried as my main condition, (adhesions to the bowel and other organs) is often written off by certain people in the medical profession. Due to many years with this problem I now have ARD, which causes constant pain, sub-acute bowel obstruction, bleeding, vomiting etc. I also have asthma, arthritis, spondylosis, carpal tunnel and sleep apneoa. All of this has a major impact on my mobility and daily life. I have a history of mental health problems, (bi-polar etc), including self-harm, anxiety and OCD.
    Reading through the sticky thread and other info, I feel that I should not have a problem with PIP, but I am still worried sick.