Thread: Worried about not being believed in pip assesment

Worried about not being believed in pip assesment

Hi,

I'm new so please be kind. I applied for pip in early March. I am growing ever worried about my assesment. I have a rare and particularly complicated form of Crohn's disease. I'm in constant pain, and suffer from exhaustion from the illness itself and the huge amounts of medication I have to take. I am on large quantities on pain killers and take both immunotherapy and chemotherapy.

I sleep / am bed bound 18 hrs a day and only eat chocolate unless my mum cooks for me which she does a couple of times a week.

Due to the pain and exhaustion I have mobility problems and care issues. I also have issues with panic attacks, anxiety and depression.

I am very worried about the assesment as I think that they will look at the word 'Crohn's' and think I'm taking the piss.

Has anyone else been in a similar position and know how they are supposed to deal with cases where a persons symptoms are a lot worse than most with that condition?

Many thanks

Hi I have severe active Crohn s which is treatment resistant even with surgery it just comes back so I know how you feel I tend to hear a lot of "oh my friends got that their alright " yeah well it does have different severity but some cases are extremely life limiting others are controlled better
    I want to reply to you but at the moment I'm in agony myself but didn't want you to think no one cares but I promise to post to you tomorrow xx

Just replied briefly to you as I'm in pain but mods are checking the post
    I'm in same boat as you but finding it hard a the minute to post but I will post to you tommorow xx

Thank you I appreciate it. I will check back tomorrow.

Many thanks

Hello Unhappy

first I like to say welcome to the forum

right on to PIP have you sent medical evidence in, a letter from your consultant/s explaining it's not a run of the mill case ?
    as all crohns flares are very painful but like you say most respond to treatment so you need to show that yours is not or that surgery hasn't worked or that there's a reason that surgery would be of no use

wouldn't so much worry about not being believed with severe cases biological signs tend to be apparent (low weight and BMI ,surgical scars ,open fistulas ect I look like a extra from the walking dead no stage make up required )

have you started a diary of day to day struggles if not suggest you start keeping one

I would write a small statement of medical history of what treatment /surgeries have been tried and what effect these have had on you ,in my case Im now suffering with malnutrition as a large amount of small intestine has been removed so fatigue , muscle cramps , spasms ,pins and needles, numbness

have you any other conditions arthritis , eye problems , skin complications, osteoporosis ? not that it's the condition you get awarded for but it will help show the severity of your case if you have any of the above try and get supporting letter off these c

Hi have replied again but alas the mods have took it again (it may appear later or not who knows )

don't think your main concern should be not believing you as severe disease tends to lead to a lot of obvious biological signs low wieght and bmi ,muscle waste ,pale skin (anaemia ) dry skin (dehydration ) open fistulas , scarring from abdominal surgeries ect

coupled with high dose dangerous drugs would imagine they would have no problems believing you have a severe and complicated case

maybe best to focus on obviously the things you struggle with day to day (start a diary ) but why the treatments/surgeries arn,t working
    as it has to last 12 months or more that can be the problem for this disease as most flares even though it can't be cured can be controlled for a lot of suffers but not all as in mine and your cases

has your consultant given you evidence ? you could do with his/hers input on how they are struggling to control the disease and other complications (malnutrition ,anaemia ,arthritis, osteoporosis to name but a few )

as for the criteria itself with severe form of crohns you should be able to pick up points so to speak have a read of flymo's sticky thread on pip it will help you

I will be around lurking throughout the day if you need anything

wishing you all the best
    Acheron xx

third time lucky (have replied twice this morning but mods are checking )

get as much input from consultants as possible as to the severity of the disease

read flmo's sticky thread on pip

don't worry about not be believed as severe cases are very disabling darn't write to much as mods may reject post again any questions I'll be around xx

I haven't the time for a lengthy answer, but I'd encourage you, as acheron suggested, to read the sticky PIP thread and follow the relevant links.

The thing to remember is that you have to show it is more likely than not you meet the PIP criteria. Try to paint a good quality picture of your problems with the PIP activities in the mind of the assessor and decision maker. If they have a clear understanding of what you can and can't do, you're more likely to receive an accurate award.

I've written more about "painting a picture" in the sticky PIP thread.

I have no doubt Crohn's can be very serious. Someone I know nearly died shortly after major surgery to remove a substantial part of his intestines. Fortunately, he's now doing much better.