Thread: Pip Appointment

Pip Appointment

Hi All
    Just had a letter from Capita about my claim. Im disabled and cant walk to far owing to pain in my back. I cannot stand for to long as my back is so week. I had an accident 3 years ago, and fractured 3 vertabrals in my spine. Im on DLA with high rate motobility. Over this period I have told DWP and my Doctors who confirmed my walking disability. I will never get better now, only worse as I get older. Im 66 now and very frail. I was surprised today with the letter, as I was made to believe I was getting a face to face consultation. This is not what I expected. I have a wheel chair. I got my daughter to take me. Everything was planned for a home visit, as I could explain how my disability affects me day by day. If I go to them, what can I expect. Do I need to walk if Im in pain. Im on Matrifen 12 12MCG/H Patches fentanyl
    CONTROLLED DRUG. This is morphine based and makes me drowsy. Im pretty wound up now as they may take my benefit away. Can somebody advise me what to expect at the examination
    Thans
    Ray

Ray, I'd suggest calling them to explain your problems and ask if they can do a home visit.

Glad you got a home visit sorted Ray
    Last edited by Fieldymouse21; 06-04-2014 at 07:29 PM.

I agree with Alison. Ask for a home visit.
    I recently had my assessment with Capita, it was a home visit. (just as well as I had my appointment letter on the Saturday for the visit on the Monday, so would not have been able to change the appointment as not enough notice)
    I know that Capita are doing a lot of the assessments through home visits, so hopefully if you explain your problems, they should be able to visit you at home.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

As far as I am aware Capita is different to Atos as it doesn't have assessment centres so all appointments will be home visits by default.

That's correct, Lighttouch. Capita don't have assessment centres, so you should expect a home assessment if you're on a Capita area.

ATOS use assessment centres for PIP, though these are different centres to those used for ESA. They require proof, usually a doctor's letter, that you cannot attend a centre based visit if you require a home PIP assessment.

ray_uk - almost everyone has to have a face to face assessment for PIP - it's just that those in the Capita area usually have them at home. There's a lot of information and personal experiences of PIP, including the assessment process, in the sticky PIP thread. Amongst the links are some people's experiences of Capita home based assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_uk View Post
    Im on Matrifen 12 12MCG/H Patches fentanyl
    CONTROLLED DRUG. This is morphine based and makes me drowsy. Im pretty wound up now as they may take my benefit away. Can somebody advise me what to expect at the examination
    Hi Ray_Uk, Have you been taking the Fentanyl for very long? Unless you take a huge amount of other opiate based drugs the Fentanyl shouldnt be making you drowsy, maybe you should ask your GP about it. You should be able to get on with daily activities without wanting to drop off to sleep all the time, thats not a good remedy for pain, its supposed to help you with it.

Hi
    I phoned PIP today and explained the difficulties going to the centre. No problem at all and now got home assesment . As for fentanyl, I do get drowsy on the first patch. Im also borderline diabetic and this also makes me weak Im also prescribed pain killers, Codeine phosphate with Paracetomol 30mg + 500mg I take as decribed and take about 6 tablets a day.