Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Pip Story

Quote Originally Posted by Thundersparrow View Post
    Finally it all got sorted. It took a letter to my MP to actually get the DWP to look at the claim in some depth. I got a call from a Manager on Thursday. Turns out they had cocked up. He had not seen a mess made of a claim like this and his job is to sort out mistakes. Apparently They use two systems. One an old UNIX based system from the 70's and a more modern system for administering the claim.
    These two systems were not talking, or more likely, someone had forgotten to tick a field.
    So after over 100 calls, three requested call backs (none happened) it took a letter from my MP to get someone to look at it.
    got the award letter on Saturday.
    Still not heard anything from the Data protection request and I will be pursuing a maladministration claim.

Writing to your MP does help.
    I'm so glad you got it sorted out. It sounds rather similar to my problem where an incorrect date was linked to one piece of information, so the start date of the award was incorrect.

Once the data is inconsistent in DWP's systems, it seems quite tricky to get them to sort it out.

I agree that getting your MP's office involved is worthwhile when you've tried reasonable steps to sort the problem out and have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by paul78 View Post
    hi all,i suffered brain hemmorage in november last year and recieved letter from pip on 4/3/2014 to say tgey had recieved my claim and i should wait for an assesment appt which i have heard nothing from,i am livibg on 59pound a week at the moment and continuously spiralling into more debt every week,i have phoned numerous times and have got no help at alk from a call centre,i am really starting to worry now,can anyone tell me how i can make them realise im struggling to eat and live.many thanks
    As Jard says, PIP is not intended to pay daily living expenses. Many PIP decisions are taking 6 months and some are taking longer than that. Once your assessment appointment takes place, the minimum wait is typically 4 weeks and it can last longer than that.

I endorse Jard's suggestion to get help from an advice provider, who can take a look at everything you might be entitled to, including possible help with housing costs and care. They will also be able to look at your debts and work with those you owe money to.

Ok, so PIP is not intended for daily living expenses so what does everyone spend their PIP money on? What extra expenses does it help towards? I keep seeing this comment on this site about it not being for everyday expenses? Some people pay for their disability related expenses out of their own pocket and I noted that someone on here said about paying off their mortgage that had fell behind when they were awarded backpay. I understand what you are saying both flymo and Jard but people have got into debt because they have had expenses that they have had to pay related to disability.

Please can you give some examples of what PIP is meant for?

I use my PIP for taxi's, mainly.

With my back pay, I bought myself a new bed and mattress and it has definitely helped me. My back is hurting less which means I don't struggle to sit down as much...also other things that have helped me.

But I, of course, live with my parents so have no mortgage to pay.

PIP is paid to those with additional costs relating to care and supervision needs, also mobility needs. What the money is used for is entirely up to the claimant.

The PIP system is not geared up to make rapid decisions in the face of spiralling debts for someone who is struggling to manage basic living expenses. The reality is that many people land up putting some of their PIP (or DLA) money towards living expenses, but there is no way you can force an early decision because of financial concerns.

If Paul is renting, he may be able to claim Housing Benefit, which would help his financial position.

Note: I don't mean any offence by the following testimony.

My PIP money is mainly used in reinforcing my jail cell. AKA my home. Usually when I break into a depression the house goes upside down. I've had to have vinyl flooring put in every room apart from the stair case. Incontinence issues are very common so I need a new mattress there and then. My Obsessive Compulsive Disorder can drive me wild most days so things like new door handles, locks, light switches and even hobs on the cooker have to be replaced to often.

Don't be mistaken though. I can look after myself but some weeks I just go either into a couldn't care less mood or I am that physically destructive that I risk getting sectioned by the medical team or arrested by the police.

I really don't have this feeling called shame. I guess I am a proper head case lol.