Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Help Needed Please re PIP and ESA

Urgent Help Needed Please re PIP and ESA

Please could someone give me some advice please. I've noticed a payment into my bank a week ago for a small amount from PIP. I haven't had a letter from DWP about a decision. My claim has been ongoing for 41 weeks and the amount paid in doesn't equal the back pay I should receive, even at the lowest rate. I'm assuming that I've only been awarded the minimum PIP so am going to appeal. My ESA was due in my bank today but hasn't been paid so I'm assuming that has been stopped, but again, I've had no letter. Can ESA be stopped because of a PIP decision? I'm going to phone DWP today to find out what is happening, is there anything I need to ask for re an appeal?
    I can't believe I've waited so long for such a nightmare to begin all over again. How long does an appeal take? Any advice prior to me phoning DWP would be gratefully received.

Have spoken to DWP and they have advised me I have qualified for enhanced rate daily living and standard rate mobility which is great, but they have only backdated it to 07/05/14 which is when I had my ATOS assessment, they haven't backdated it to the date of the initial claim which was 01/09/13, is this correct? Have also spoken to ESA and they say money will be in tomorrow instead of today but aren't sure why payment date has been changed?
    Last edited by kateyh03; 06-25-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Congratulations on the PIP award.

Assuming you were making a first time claim for PIP, rather than moving from DLA to PIP, your PIP award should be effective from the date of claim. The reason why this has not taken place is likely to be some sort of gremlin with the DWP computers, much like the one that meant I was paid PIP from the wrong start date.

If this is a first time claim, call the PIP helpline and explain politely that, as this is a new PIP award, you believe the award should start from the date of claim, not the date of assessment. Ask for your query to be passed to the Benefits Delivery Centre responsible and ask for someone from the BDC to call you back. The people on the helpline are little more than a glorified call centre, so are unlikely to be able to sort this out from you - it needs to be sent to the BDC.

If you are on Income Related ESA, you're entitled to the Enhanced Disability Premium (described on letters as the "Disability Income Guarantee") if you don't already have it based on your enhanced rate Daily Living PIP. You might, depending on your circumstances, also be entitled to the Severe Disability Premium based on your Daily Living PIP. It is possible that this might have disrupted your ESA payment.

PIP does not affect Contributions Based ESA.

Thanks Flymo, I was on DLA and at renewal they sent me the PIP form to fill out, even though they had my original DLA application. Would they class this as a first time claim for PIP? The lady I spoke to today said the DM had backdated claim to date of assessment, and was incredulous when I said I thought it should be backdated to date of claim asking, 'you really want it backdated to last year' in a 'shocked' voice. Am I entitled to ask for it to be backdated to date of claim? And do you think I have any chance of success?

Quote Originally Posted by kateyh03 View Post
    Thanks Flymo, I was on DLA and at renewal they sent me the PIP form to fill out, even though they had my original DLA application. Would they class this as a first time claim for PIP? The lady I spoke to today said the DM had backdated claim to date of assessment, and was incredulous when I said I thought it should be backdated to date of claim asking, 'you really want it backdated to last year' in a 'shocked' voice. Am I entitled to ask for it to be backdated to date of claim? And do you think I have any chance of success?
    You are not entitled to get it backdated. You will only get it backdated to the date of the decision, which has occurred. As you were still entitled to DLA until a decision is made on your PIP claim.

This thread covers it in great detail: http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...p-back-payment

Read this as well: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-replacing-dla

I wasn't in receipt of DLA when I made the PIP claim, as DWP said DLA had expired, hence why I had to make a new claim for PIP.

As DWP have determined you were not entitled to DLA on the date they received your DLA claim pack, you made what was known as a claim in the alternative for PIP - you filled in a DLA claim pack and it was treated as a new claim for PIP. That's what happened to me. I've just looked at the copy of my PIP file which includes the internal DWP letter sending the claim on to the PIP unit requesting it is treated as a new claim for PIP effective from the date DWP received the DLA claim.

Though I don't have your paperwork in front of me, I'm almost certain you are in the same position as I was - in effect, you made a new claim for PIP. If so, backdating should apply to the date of application. You may well have a similar glitch to the one I had over the date of claim - read back through the sticky PIP thread for full details.

Try to get the matter sent over to the BDC, pointing out that you believe the date of claim should be the date of the DLA claim, then await their investigation.

I sent my completed DLA form back in July. On 1st August I received a PIP form to complete as they weren't honouring my DLA form. I returned the PIP form to PIP by 1st September 2013 and haven't been in receipt of DLA since July 2013. I have been told on a couple of occasions by DWP that my PIP claim would be backdated to September 1st. All I was wondering is if on this occasion, it would be backdated. Will take your suggestion Flymo, and contact DWP and ask for it to be passed to the BDC. Many thanks.

Quick update, did as you suggested Flymo, the lady I spoke with at DWP could see no reason for payment not to be backdated. She thinks they've made a mistake with dates as they only backdated to 07/05/14 which was the date of my F2F with Atos. She's passed it over to BDC and they'll phone me within 5 days. Thanks again for your advice.

PIP isn't means tested. When your DLA was about to expire I guess you were invited to make a new claim for PIP.

I thought what was supposed to happen was that you received the original amount of DLA until you received notification of your PIP result.

If they took 6 months to get their act together that's not your problem even if that period extended after the original DLA award finished.

Slightly mind-boggling - think I'd better sit down! As they say - it'll all come out in the wash!

Good luck.