Thread: Pip home assessment

Pip home assessment

ok I just had my assessment and I feel like it all went wrong

I feel like I was tricked into giving answers that I should not have for instance I was asked if I could prepare food and I said no because I'm not able to stand for long or sit without being hunched over and she said well you can peel carrots hunched over!! She also said that I need to get aids in the house to help me get in and out of bath off toilet etc but I need support whenever I walk which I can only do hunched over I cannot walk standing up straight.

She seems to have tricked answers out of me which I do not feel are correct I tried to say I'm in severe pain if I walk a few yards and when I sit up it has to be hunched over but she made it sound like as long as I can do everything hunched over I'm fit. I have three prolapsed discs in my back one being one of the biggest my neuroseorgon has ever seen.

Epic fail don't expect any points!!!

I'm sorry to hear about that. Mostly, people's PIP assessment experiences seem to have been positive, but there are always some bad assessors.

This assessor may not understand the law, which requires you are only assessed as able to do something if you can do it safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly (as often as reasonably required) and in a reasonable time period (in no more than twice the maximum time taken by someone without a relevant disability) - this is regulation 4(2A) and (4) of The Social Security (Personal Independence Payment) Regulations 2013 (SI 2013/377) (as amended). I'd argue that many tasks done hunched over in a painful and unnatural position are not safe, not to an acceptable standard and cannot be done as often as reasonably required.

The assessor is entitled to probe your abilities. You might be able to peel carrots hunched over, but even if you able to do that task, you're still going to need a considerable amount of help to prepare and cook a meal.

The assessment should be made assuming to have all the aids it is reasonable for you to use (regulation 4(2)(b) of The Social Security (Personal Independence Payment) Regulations 2013 (SI 2013/377)) even if you do not have them. However, if you cannot reasonably obtain those aids, it is not reasonable for you to use them.

If this assessor's approach turns out to have led you into being underassessed, you should complain to the assessment provider and use your right to reconsideration to correct the defective assumptions made.

Thank you for reply it's been very helpful

Brilliant response Flymo.

OP, try not to worry too much. You hear of people thinking their assessment went badly, only to be awarded PIP and sometimes even the high rate of both components. You just never know. The DWP could quite rule in your favour purely based on medical facts. The HCP's are only there to give an opinion really. You need to remember their job is to try and deny you benefits.

ATOS recently awarded me 0 but I fought it, went to MR and got put in the Support Group. I know it's not PIP, but just trying to give you a bit of confidence.

Thank you how long do I need to wait for a decision.

The average wait seems to be around 8 weeks. It will take roughly 3-4 weeks for them to send the information to the dwp and then afterr a week or so it will then be assigned to a DM (DECISON MAKER) who will then look at everything. Have you sent in medical history or supporting letters from your Gp or anything like that cos the morey evidence the better and you may need it to over rule atos/capita's recommendations. Just remember capita and atos do not have our interests at heart. They want to destroy your character and make you feel bad so I really wouldn't worry about what her attitude was like at the assessment.

Thank you yes I sent in all medical evidence which is not much because I have a very straightforward condition of three prolapsed discs on medication waiting for an op. when I asked her if she had my medical paperwork she said it was on the system. She didn't seem to know what I had. It very unnerving that these people carry out these assessments with no compassion I understand they have a job to do but surely my medical evidence speaks for itself. The MRI shows my discs all out and she seems not to even know about it. I presume the DWP will take this into accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by emmnic View Post
    Thank you yes I sent in all medical evidence which is not much because I have a very straightforward condition of three prolapsed discs on medication waiting for an op. when I asked her if she had my medical paperwork she said it was on the system. She didn't seem to know what I had. It very unnerving that these people carry out these assessments with no compassion I understand they have a job to do but surely my medical evidence speaks for itself. The MRI shows my discs all out and she seems not to even know about it. I presume the DWP will take this into accounts?
    When I was assessed for both they never had my information either. They're private companies who don't want to spend money getting our records. They go into these assessments with the view that you're a fraud and anything you say is questionable. At least the dwp will have a full understanding of your medical history and problem. Even if atos award you nothing I wouldn't worry. They awarded me nothing and my disability isn't obvious until I have an attack but dwp still over ruled them. Remember, it's only a recommendation. Atos' decision is by no means final.

Take care of yourself mate and don't let this get you down.

Well not much i can do now!!