Thread: Contribution based ESA soon to end and not eliagble for income based ESA - what now!

Contribution based ESA soon to end and not eliagble for income based ESA - what now!

I have been awaiting assessment for contribution based ESA for almost 10 months, and receive the basic rate atm. I believe/hope to be put in the working group, although I know any payments will stop after 12 months. At this rate it looks like I wont be accessed before the payments stop. I live with a partner who is employed full time so I know I will not qualify for income based ESA - Am I able to apply for contribution based JSA again??

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I have been awaiting assessment for contribution based ESA for almost 10 months, and receive the basic rate atm. I believe/hope to be put in the working group, although I know any payments will stop after 12 months. At this rate it looks like I wont be accessed before the payments stop. I live with a partner who is employed full time so I know I will not qualify for income based ESA - Am I able to apply for contribution based JSA again??
    As far as i know you would not be able to claim CB JSA as you can only be on a CB based benefit for up to a year unless you are in the support group of ESA, CB JSA can only be claimed for 6months.

You're best bet is do go over the ESA descriptors to see if you qualify for any of the schedule 3 descriptors to be put into the support group.

Even if when you eventually get assessed you get put in WRAG you are best off keeping this claim open, with only NI contributions as if in the future you qualify for the support group, your payments will restart.

I'm sure others will be able to advise you further.

Your Contributions Based ESA payments will stop after 52 weeks unless you are assessed and placed in the Support Group. If the assessment takes place after 52 weeks and you are placed in the Support Group, payments will restart.

You can only make a fresh Contributions Based JSA claim for up to 182 days payment if you still meet the contribution conditions for JSA and, if you have made a previous Contributions Based JSA claim, your entitlement was based on at least one different year of NI contributions. This is quite a tricky thing to determine.

I'd think very carefully before closing your Contributions Based ESA claim. If you happen to be assessed as in the Support Group, you can continue to be paid beyond 52 weeks. If you are not placed in the Support Group now, you might be reassessed there in the future, which would make ESA payments restart if you were on Contributions Based ESA at the nil rate.

If you are considering moving to JSA, I suggest getting a copy of your NI contributions record and taking it to a local advice provider (such as a local authority welfare rights project if you have one, or Citizen's Advice) who should be able to work out whether you can claim Contributions Based JSA.

As an aside, I don't understand why anyone wants to be in the Work Related Activity Group - it's always in your interests to be in the Support Group if possible. Those in the Support Group:

• get an extra £7 per week
    • are always entitled to the Enhanced Disability Premium on Income Related ESA
    • have no 52 week limit on Contributions Based ESA payments
    • have no compulsory Work Focused Interviews or Work Related Activity (though they can volunteer for these things), and
    • have no 52 weeks on 52 weeks off rule for permitted work of up to 16 hours per week whilst being paid more than £20 per week

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    Your Contributions Based ESA payments will stop after 52 weeks unless you are assessed and placed in the Support Group. If the assessment takes place after 52 weeks and you are placed in the Support Group, payments will restart.

You can only make a fresh Contributions Based JSA claim for up to 182 days payment if you still meet the contribution conditions for JSA and, if you have made a previous Contributions Based JSA claim, your entitlement was based on at least one different year of NI contributions. This is quite a tricky thing to determine.

I'd think very carefully before closing your Contributions Based ESA claim. If you happen to be assessed as in the Support Group, you can continue to be paid beyond 52 weeks. If you are not placed in the Support Group now, you might be reassessed there in the future, which would make ESA payments restart if you were on Contributions Based ESA at the nil rate.

If you are considering moving to JSA, I suggest getting a copy of your NI contributions record and taking it to a local advice provider (such as a local authority welfare rights project if you have one, or Citizen's Advice) who should be able to work out whether you can claim Contributions Based JSA.

As an aside, I don't understand why anyone wants to be in the Work Related Activity Group - it's always in your interests to be in the Support Group if possible. Those in the Support Group:

• get an extra £7 per week
    • are always entitled to the Enhanced Disability Premium on Income Related ESA
    • have no 52 week limit on Contributions Based ESA payments
    • have no compulsory Work Focused Interviews or Work Related Activity (though they can volunteer for these things), and
    • have no 52 weeks on 52 weeks off rule for permitted work of up to 16 hours per week whilst being paid more than £20 per week
    Thank you - that's great help. I am not thinking of closing my ESA application, its just that I am still be accessed and at this rate can see me reaching the 52 weeks without an assessment and the much needed money will stop. I need to be organised and try to ensure I keep some money coming in. I truly do not believe I will qualify for the Support group, as I am 'only' totally deafened and acutely aware what a rough deal the majority of people with any degree of hearing loss get No one will interview me once they found out about my hearing loss, no one will take me on as a volunteer for the same reason, when I was on JSA (I didn't even know of ESA then) my DEA felt I was not 'disabled enough' to be referred for schemes/projects to support me - all because I could lip read her fairly well!