Thread: ESA sick notes

ESA sick notes

Hello.
    Am on ESA CB awaiting assessement. Each time my sick certificate runs out, I get a reminder from DWP to send a new one and they enclose a form and prepaid envelope to send the certificate in. My last certificate run out 21st July and I got another one from my GP but I havent heard from DWP yet. Can I just take the certificate to my local job centre?

Also, just received the ESA form to fill in which I guess is prior to going for an assessment. Is it better to get help from CAB or AgeUK etc to fill it in or is it enough to fill it in myself. I know with the old DLA the advise was to get help to fill in the form. The form asks for medical evidence. But I will have to pay my GP to get hold of that (xrays, letters etc) The form says not to go to GP to get the evidence as the GP will charge you. So what does one do?

Thanks in advance.

You should phone your local JC+ to make an appointment, where they can scan your fit note through to your benefit distribution centre (BDC) for you. I would strongly suggest you get the help of an adviser from either AGE UK or CAB with the ESA 50 form and with regard to your GP, I would suggest you contact them again and ask for a summary of your condition(s) and a medications list. It was these that formed my main medical evidence when I transferred over from IB, together with some odd documents from consultants.

Remember to send only copies of your documents to the DWP, you keep hold of the originals, also make and keep a copy of the ESA 50 when completed.

All the best with it

Thanks for the advice Jard.
    Do you normally have to pay for the summary of conditions and medication list from a GP.
    Just that my GP charges £25 for letters but dont know for what else.
    Thank you in advance

My GP didn't charge me for them at the time and whether that policy has changed now I don't know, as I do know it varies from surgery to surgery right round the country. The last Appeal I was involved in the claimant was provided with an excellent letter of support by his GP and wasn't charged for it but like I say it varies, so there's no sure answer for that one. Though, even if they do charge I think it a small price to pay if it does secure your benefit for you and possibly save you a lot of hassle in the long run going through Recon/Appeal etc.

Thank you for the reply.
    Going to see my GP tomorrow so will ask then.
    Went to JC+ and they just gave me an envelope to send my certificate off to.
    Got reply from AGE UK and advised me to contact some other organisation for help with the form filling.
    Slowly getting there lol