Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warm home discount scheme.

Thumbs up Warm home discount scheme.

You can get £120 towards your fuel bill this year via your fuel supplier. It will be done automatically for those on qualifying benefits.

More info here.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...ment/DG_185940

Sounded interesting. I phoned the number and the first thing they said was I'm not eligible as I'm not 60 or over.

Next I phoned my supplier E-ON to ask if I would be eligible for any discount as I've taken early medical retirement and I get DLA mobility and care plus Council Tax rebate of 10% as I'm disabled. Initially the E-ON person who I called said letters were going out at the moment but he wasn't aware that I would be eligible.

Typically you have to phone an 0845 number and wait. Eventually they tell you that the quickest way to see if you're eligible is to go on line. I've checked it out and as usual I'm not eligible, besides which it doesn't really matter as my central heating boiler broke down last week. I dread to think how much changing a simple fuse in the boiler will cost as I need to get a Gas Safe engineer out to do it.

To save you time here's the criteria for the scheme -

What is Warm Home Discount?

Warm Home Discount is a Government led scheme which came into effect earlier this year and is designed to offer support to customers likely to be at risk of fuel poverty. One of the ways we’ll do this is to pay rebates to our electricity customers who meet the eligibility criteria. In the first year of the scheme the rebates will be worth £120.

We’re working with the Department of Work and Pensions to identify customers in receipt of the guaranteed credit element of pension credit. These people will automatically qualify for a rebate and will not need to apply. Eligible customers will receive a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions advising them of this.

In addition E.ON electricity customers who do not receive the guaranteed credit element of pension credit but meet the following criteria may apply for a rebate. We have a limited number to offer each year so there is a chance not everyone who applies will be given a rebate this year, but we’ll keep your details and contact you again next year.

Eligibility Check

You or your partner must be in receipt of one of the benefits in section 1; or

You or your partner must be in receipt of one the benefits in section 2 and one from section 3.

Section 1
    State Pension Credit
    Child Tax Credit (where the relevant income is £16,190 or less)

Section 2
    Income related employment and support allowance
    Income support
    Income based Job Seekers Allowance

Section 3
    Pensioner Premium
    Child Tax Credit-including disability or severe disability elements
    Disabled child premium
    Disability or severe disability premium
    Child under 5 living in property
    Please note you may be required to provide documentary evidence to confirm eligibility.

How will the rebate be applied?

We will apply the Warm Home Discount directly to your electricity account.

If you’re an electricity prepayment customer, a voucher will be sent to you that can then be used to apply credit to your prepayment device at Paypoint, Payzone and the Post Office.

I believe I am eligible, how do I apply?

If you’re in receipt of the guaranteed credit element of pension credit you automatically qualify and will not need to apply. You will receive a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions advising you of this.

If you’re not in receipt of the guaranteed credit element of pension credit but meet the above criteria please complete our online form to register your details.

With StayWarm you have a fixed price 12 month contract, so you can heat your home when you need it most
    E.ON WarmAssist.

15% discount on our standard gas and electricity prices for our most vulnerable customers
    Free Insulation.

If you're aged 70 or over, or receive certain benefits you could be eligible for free cavity wall or loft insulation
    CaringEnergy.

We have a dedicated team of energy efficiency advisors highly trained to offer vulnerable customers advice to help keep their homes warm.

This has been all over the news. We are eligible, but there is not enough money for all of us. They are concentrating on those in receipt of State pension first. The government has cut the funding for this new scheme. It is said that there will only be enough for those getting a pension. Thankfully, NPower is still running the old scheme, but not sure for how much longer.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Npower has spreading the warmth scheme which it never got rid of so I pay less plus contrary to what was announced on TV the £120 is not on a first come basis all who qualify will get it between November and Januaury. I rang them as soon as it was announced they got someone from the the team to ring me back ask me a few questions I qualified and they just said they may ask me to provide proof of my benefits.

They never asked for proof from me.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by JanetB View Post
    Npower has spreading the warmth scheme which it never got rid of so I pay less plus contrary to what was announced on TV the £120 is not on a first come basis all who qualify will get it between November and Januaury. I rang them as soon as it was announced they got someone from the the team to ring me back ask me a few questions I qualified and they just said they may ask me to provide proof of my benefits.
    Hi JanetB,glad you can get some help i am in receipt of E.S.A.,H.R.M.,L.R.C i am with edf energy is there any chance of myself getting any help?.Sorry to ask,Samantha x

You can if they are accepting anymore people. The problem is there is not enough money for the new scheme. It is for pensioners first, & us last.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Thanks Stepheninleeds i have applied on line so everything crossed it would help so much if we could get a little something towards our heating bills.

Good luck & YW. It is not much these days, but it all helps.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Stephen sorry you have got it wrong with Npower it is not pensioners first I rang and checked as I stated providing you qualify everyone will get the £120.00 between November and January. That's when they said they mau ask me to send proof of the benefit I receive. Not that I would have to that they might ask me to. They had been inundated with calls because they had announced on TV that it was a first come basis and that only British Gas would pay everyone that would qualify which wasn't true.
    Sorry I'm a bit late in getting back to you Sam but Npower have had Spreading the warmth tariff for quite a while now considering you get ESA and providing your total household income is less than £13,000.00 per year don't include your DLA then you qualify. You get gas and electric and lower rates plus if you get both your gas and electric with them after a year you also get a yearly £100.00 discount also. Hope this helps. Plus if your vulnerable or disabled I've just forgotten the exact name but they register you for special care such as if they know there is going to be work done or outages they are aware if you have things like stairlifts which I have and if mine goes down I can't get out. Despite the reports about bad customer service I've always found them very nice and easy to understand and call centre in this country too. I don't know why they have had a lot of complaints. I've dealt with a lot worse people. Anything else you want to know just ask.