Thread: Blue Badge and PIP

Blue Badge and PIP

Hi all
    Me again. I'm getting organised, or at least trying to, to prepare for my appeal after my MR was not favourably received by the DWP.
    I have meetings arranged with CAB and my MP so that I can pursue all avenues possible that may be able to help.
    One point I noticed in Flymo's sticky thread was about the entitlement to a blue badge if you are awarded some PIP mobility award(cant remember the numbers).
    I was assessed and awarded a blue badge in Oct 2013. I attended the local council offices armed with all my medical reports etc and chatted with a health professional, as you do, and literally after 15 mins with her she said you wont have to wait to hear from us, you have got it!!!! I paid my £10 and received the badge about 10 days later.
    Its a pity the eligibility rules don't work both ways.
    I wondered if it would help to inform the DWP that I was considered eligible to be a blue badge holder?

I don't think there's any point mentioning that you have a Blue Badge. The test local authorities apply is rather different to the PIP "moving around" activity, and the DWP decision maker is not bound in any way by the decision of the council on your Blue Badge.

The only thing that might be useful is if you underwent an independent mobility assessment as the report produced for that might be worth sending as supporting evidence but it doesn't sound as though you had an IMA. The fact that you have a badge is probably worth mentioning but unlikely to carry much weight as assessment approaches vary a lot between councils and do not require any medical evidence.