Thread: pip assessment & decision

pip assessment & decision

I have my assessment in just over a week and I was wondering what the waiting time is between assessment and decision

As I have waited just under a year for my assessment.

Thank you in advance for any responses x

The time taken is very variable, especially the delay between the assessment and the report being sent to DWP.

Once the report reaches DWP, it takes somewhere around 3-4 weeks in the majority of cases, though some are decided more quickly. A minority of cases involve DWP asking the assessment provider to clarify or correct their report, which involves rather longer delays.

Ultimately it takes as long as it takes.

The claim for PIP just seems to be one big waiting game
    But I suppose after the assessment your on the home straight

Hi i am new to this :-)
    I recieved my letter offering to claim PIP mid november 2014..2 weeks later (11th december) i had my home visit, i was told my decision would be made within the following 4 weeks. I started phoning pip early jan 2015 and they said in most cases decisions were made 4-8 weeks of them recieving the assessors report...its now 23rd jan 2015 and today i recieved my decision :-) got awarded enhanced rate on both conponents :-) i would advise to send as much evidence as you can from professionals because they dont always ask gps etc for evidence. Also if you have a welfare rights officer have them at the assessment, that helps a great deal ;-) x

Congratulations on the award.

It is in the claimant's interests to obtain evidence that is relevant to their PIP claim and send it to DWP, as DWP or the assessment provider might not obtain that evidence themselves. However, it is important to remember that PIP is awarded based on the problems you have carrying out the PIP activities as a result of medical conditions and/or disabilities, the so-called functional effects of your condition. PIP is not awarded based on your diagnosis and the severity of the medical condition.

It is worth providing any up to date functional assessments (e.g. from an occupational therapist) in full. Other forms of medical evidence should probably be kept to a few pages covering the main points. A brief report covering diagnosis, some indication of severity, current treatment, key symptoms and prognosis may well be far more valuable than a huge dossier of evidence that distracts attention from your arguments for awarding PIP and might well not be looked at.

My legal training has always stressed that what you leave out is almost as important as what you include.