Thread: Change of circumstances

Change of circumstances

Anybody have any idea how long a change in circumstances takes in PIP? Im waiting a decision on if i ned to have another medical or not since my health has declined since my initial claim got awarded

I believe, though am not certain, that change of circumstances applications referred to the assessment providers are to the same timescales as initial applications. Unfortunately this means a fairly slow service at present other than for claimants who are terminally ill with death reasonably expected in less than six months.

The decision on whether to conduct a new face to face assessment or not is supposed to be made fairly quickly after referral to the assessment provider. If you know your case has been referred to the assessment provider for your area, it might be worth asking their helpline if any decision has been made on whether you need a new face to face assessment.

Ultimately, you won't lose any money if the change in circumstances entitles you to additional PIP as the decision will be superseded by a new decision effective from the date your change of circumstances report reached DWP or you have had the additional functional limitations for three months, whichever date is later.

Thanks flymo, can i just ask if you mean that if i got awarded a higher rate it would get backdated ?

If you get additional PIP, the new decision becomes effective from the date I explained - the date your change of circumstances report reached DWP or you have had the additional functional limitations for three months, whichever date is later.