Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Insurance Contributions whilst claiming benefits question

National Insurance Contributions whilst claiming benefits question

My husband is claiming PIP, (was also claiming ESA)
    I am claiming IS and CA
    we have 2 children under 10

I phone ESA today to close the claim as i (as from today) am claiming IS.
    The advisor said that my husband would no longer get NIC unless he goes from IB ESA to CB ESA. One of the reasons i have stopped ESA is because of the stress of the medicals for him to go through.

Now i am wondering how i go about him still getting his NIC (he is 37) and has approx 20 years NIC?

Is the only option to pay voluntary unless he stays on CB ESA?

many thanks in advance

As your husband has now given up his claim to ESA, which is one of the required benefits to provide N.I. Credits (the other being JSA), it appears the only option is to contact the N.I. Contributions Dept, explain it to them and ask if they would accept payments.

Thank you - i've just been trying to look into this further and was wondering if i've read right that if i change child benefit into my husbands name, could this then mean he is entitled to NIC?

I wouldn't think so.

As I understand it, it has to be a work related benefit, that's ESA & JSA.
    Last edited by Jard; 26-09-14 at 12:53.

National Insurance Contributions

I thought it best to tell you that unless your husband has 35 years NI Contributions he won't et a full state pension if he reaches that age.

The only way to top up his NI CREDITS is to claim ESA.

I was going to claim ESA but when I was told that I was only eligible to NI Credits it wasn't worth it as I'd already clocked up 37 years worth of Credits but only needed 35 years worth to qualify for a state pension at 66 if I live that long.

As is explained on gov.uk, you can make a "credits only" claim to receive Class 1 NI credits if you are unfit for work, but this is subject to the same assessment regime as ESA.

Paying voluntary Class 3 National Insurance credits is an option, but as the HMRC web site explains, it's jolly expensive - £13.90 per week.

Your husband might want to rethink his decision to close his Contributions Based ESA claim if it has not already been actioned, much as I realise the assessments are hard. If he is entitled to Contributions Based ESA now, he might not have the National Insurance contributions to claim again in a future tax year (credits only fulfil one of the two contribution conditions), so he might not be able to claim Contributions Based ESA in the future. If your circumstances change, for example if you inherit money, you might be very grateful of Contributions Based ESA if the change in circumstances means you are no longer entitled to means tested benefit.

Contributions Based ESA has to be declared as income for your Income Support claim if he is entitled to payments. Contributions Based ESA is only paid for 52 weeks unless the claimant is in the Support Group, though NI credits continue to be credited even if ESA is at the nil rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    As is explained on gov.uk, you can make a "credits only" claim to receive Class 1 NI credits if you are unfit for work, but this is subject to the same assessment regime as ESA.

Paying voluntary Class 3 National Insurance credits is an option, but as the HMRC web site explains, it's jolly expensive - £13.90 per week.

Your husband might want to rethink his decision to close his Contributions Based ESA claim if it has not already been actioned, much as I realise the assessments are hard. If he is entitled to Contributions Based ESA now, he might not have the National Insurance contributions to claim again in a future tax year (credits only fulfil one of the two contribution conditions), so he might not be able to claim Contributions Based ESA in the future. If your circumstances change, for example if you inherit money, you might be very grateful of Contributions Based ESA if the change in circumstances means you are no longer entitled to means tested benefit.

Contributions Based ESA has to be declared as income for your Income Support claim if he is entitled to payments. Contributions Based ESA is only paid for 52 weeks unless the claimant is in the Support Group, though NI credits continue to be credited even if ESA is at the nil rate.
    My husband has claimed CB ESA for the last year, it receintly changed to IB ESA around the same time i was awarded CA - which is what made me apply for IS so my husband doesn't have to go through assessments any more which was making his condition 100x worse.
    he also receives PIP

I'm struggling!
    i've just phone hmrc and then child benefit

HMRC said that he can either voluntary pay the £13.90 weekly :-/
    or
    i can close my Child Benefit claim and he can claim

his condition hasn't improved in the last year, but thats i'm hoping thats because we haen't been given any help, he now (appointments have started in the last 2 weeks) CBT, psyciatrist and councilling - so now he is starting to see these people, his condition will slowly improve. our aim in the long run is to both start working again so benefits isn't a long term thing for us.

does this make a difference at all?

sorry for all the questions!

repeated my above post accidently
    Last edited by MrsK; 26-09-14 at 19:07.

HMRC said that he can either voluntary pay the £13.90 weekly :-/
    or
    i can close my Child Benefit claim and he can claim
    By the look of all this I think you'd be best advised to seek the help of a qualified benefits adviser ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    By the look of all this I think you'd be best advised to seek the help of a qualified benefits adviser ASAP.
    thank you - i have tried CAB and they don't seem to have much more of a clue than me (they used google when i was there)
    do you know where i can find one of these?