Thread: A Positive Post about Mental Health Care and Assessment

A Positive Post about Mental Health Care and Assessment

Hello Everyone, I joined this fantastic forum a while ago whilst going though the Ups and Downs of My Husbands PIP Claim. Those who have read My previous posts will get the gist of My Husbands Mental Health problems, Suffice to say it has been a difficult year, But on a positive note The Mental Health Team in Suffolk where We live have been fantastic, A little slow moving at times But due to My Husbands complex problems I do understand that They couldn't just decide on a course of action without knowing all the problems He faces now and in the past. In the past 2 months things have really moved forward, Hubby has been put on The Enhanced Care Pathway, He has a named Consultant Psychiatrist ( Who looks like Boris Johnson! ) who has been very patient and understanding the 3 times We have seen Him and Who calls back if I am very concerned re Medication treatment, He has a Care Coordinator and We are meeting with a Clinical Psychologist next week and a Neuropsychiatrist the week after. They arranged full blood tests to rule out any organic reasons and a Brain MRI as Hubby had a serious Brain injury at 8 years of age due to a road traffic accident. They have gone back through all of His medical notes from the time He was a baby and have found things entered from the time He was a child that were never followed up on. We also get support from His Mental Health Link worker attached to our GP's surgery. We will not know exactly what the problem/s are until all the assessments are back and until The Team discuss the best course of action, But I feel very lucky to live where we do even though it is a bit remote and isolating for Me because hopefully We will get the answers and help We have waited so long for. I have posted here as to be honest I do not have many outlets to share the positive news, But I thought it would help to show that sometimes The NHS can deliver and give hope to others that may be having problems themselves. Thanks for reading.

It's good to read some good news about the standard of mental health care your husband has experienced. So often we hear the bad stories, but there are many examples of good quality care that we never hear about.

It sounds as if they are making a good job of differential diagnosis, starting with deciding what might be a consequence of a physical health problem and what is mental health in origin. I hope this will lead to new insights that are helpful to you and your husband.

It is important for all of us to keep our doctors aware of the entire picture - though my condition is to do with my physical health, that does not prevent me from picking up other physical health problems or mental health problems. My condition places me an enhanced risk in various areas and it would be a shame to miss out on treatment simply because my doctors weren't aware what was going on.

flymo years ago I started some mental health treatment for horrific nightmares, over time I honest to god thought I was better then stopped the medication then bit by bit the horrific nightmares came back but instead of informing anyone I just put up with them which is not the way to go, day by day and as the years went on it started to erode my daily but after my sudden loss it was then that I then took time to get the problem sorted.

I am now on night time medication and am been reviewed on Tuesday to see how the medication is working so at last after a long 12 torturous years I am now getting some relief.

I ask anyone who sees these messages not to suffer in silent and like flymo says 'please let your doctor know the picture'

mike

Thank you for your post, Mike.

I'm sorry it took your recent loss to make you realise how difficult things had become and to ask for help, but am so glad you have now asked for that help. It is so easy to incorrectly attribute a symptom to your chronic health problems or to an untreatable recurrence of an earlier problem, which can mean we fail to share it with the appropriate people.

If it's any consolation, I'm terrible at asking for emotional support. I'll be kind and gentle to anyone except myself, which is absurd really. It's so easy to persuade yourself that everyone else is too busy or that you shouldn't be bothering them. It has done me a great deal of good to be in a long term relationship with a wonderful woman who is also disabled and who understands so much based on her own experiences.

There are certainly times I have suffered through being unkind to myself as well as being too reticent to ask for help. The truth was that others were longing to care for me and support me - I only had to ask.

I once told my GP that I felt embarrassed at the amount of his time I was taking that day. He said that spending twenty minutes with me was likely one of the best uses of his time that day, as I was there with something that needed his attention and had thought through what I wanted to say. He explained that many others in the waiting room would be normally fit and well people with minor self-limiting illnesses for whom the only appropriate response was giving basic self-care advice. He was clear that his job was to be there for anyone with health concerns - his point was that it didn't really need a GP to tell someone to stay at home (rather than bringing their bugs to share in the waiting room), keep warm, keep well hydrated and take over the counter medication for pain and fever.

Health professionals feel fulfilled any time they are able to make a good quality intervention, whether that is stitching up a wound or responding to the distress of someone who recognises a health problem of many years through the lens of recent bereavement. It's important not to let our own reticence or embarrassment prevent us from sharing what is troubling us with the appropriate people.

I send healing thoughts, Mike, hoping that the relief you have found gives your body and mind some space to heal and to adjust.

out of all the struggles I have been through over the last 6 weeks, I made a decision which wasn't taken lightly and with much thought through have taken on a rescue kitten 4 months old, he has his problems but hey I have got mine as well. so along with meds I am taking a therapeutic approach which I feel will do wonders in the long run.

I have had cats in the past so feel more than capable of giving this little one a good home for a long time to come.

mike