Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massive cuts to Employment and Support Allowance 'considered'

Massive cuts to Employment and Support Allowance 'considered'

The government is considering cutting the value of the main employment and support allowance (ESA) sickness benefit by as much as £30 so that it is effectively worth the same as jobseeker’s allowance, internal documents seen by the BBC suggest.

New claimants, judged to be capable of work with appropriate support, could be given just 50p more per week than people on jobseeker’s allowance (JSA).

The Department for Work and Pensions said the ESA proposals were not government policy, but that they reflected ministers’ search for a solution to the backlog of claims for ESA and its higher than forecast cost. George Osborne, the chancellor, has said he is seeking a £12bn cut in the welfare bill, and has so far identified a quarter of these cuts mainly through freezing the value of most benefits for two years.

The DWP has been struggling with ESA ever since it replaced incapacity benefit. The main contractor, Atos, quit the contract assessing claimants after a massive backlog built up and criticism grew of the way in which the medical assessments were made. The backlog is currently running at more than 600,000. It is thought an American firm, Maximus, has been selected to replace Atos.

Full article from the Guardian
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...kers-allowance

Quote Originally Posted by karljt View Post
    The government is considering cutting the value of the main employment and support allowance (ESA) sickness benefit by as much as £30 so that it is effectively worth the same as jobseeker’s allowance, internal documents seen by the BBC suggest.

New claimants, judged to be capable of work with appropriate support, could be given just 50p more per week than people on jobseeker’s allowance (JSA).

The Department for Work and Pensions said the ESA proposals were not government policy, but that they reflected ministers’ search for a solution to the backlog of claims for ESA and its higher than forecast cost. George Osborne, the chancellor, has said he is seeking a £12bn cut in the welfare bill, and has so far identified a quarter of these cuts mainly through freezing the value of most benefits for two years.

The DWP has been struggling with ESA ever since it replaced incapacity benefit. The main contractor, Atos, quit the contract assessing claimants after a massive backlog built up and criticism grew of the way in which the medical assessments were made. The backlog is currently running at more than 600,000. It is thought an American firm, Maximus, has been selected to replace Atos.

Full article from the Guardian
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...kers-allowance
    These discussions are at the embryonic stage in terms of it ever becoming policy. I read about this last night on the BBC news website; this morning, low and behold this story is not even mentioned at all on the BBC news channel, and I was watching for about an hour.

Unfortunately, we should not be surprised, firstly, by the dreamt up notion of this "policy" which has nothing to do with reform, only narrowing the qualifying criteria, making more people undeserving and saving money, while at the same time offering tax breaks for the rich. Secondly, if this policy is ever implemented; all the Disability Charities and Groups might as well concede defeat through being completely ineffective, and in some cases complicit with the so called solutions to the ESA problems.

This is a disgrace, therefore, we should be hearing from these Disability Charities and Groups, starting right now, to stop these cuts from happening. Also, it will be interesting to hear what Rachel Reeves has to say about this.
    Last edited by buster21; 10-30-2014 at 11:06 AM.

cutting benefit would not in any way clear their backlogs and by the way if people thought atos were bad then maximus are even worse and have had some very dirty dealings!

and while this is their way of thinking since the recession over 50 billionaires have been created in this country along with the rich just getting filthy richer, yep way to go take it out on the sick again and poor again.

come the elections people will have to make a serious decision on who they vote.

hang I.D.S and his sicko gang

I think that whoever does the assessments will try to get people off benefits, it is what the Government are telling the DWP and the assessors.

As for the rich, I agree, a lot donate to charity etc. I think what we have a problem with is the huge companies/corporations that are getting away with not paying tax.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

grg there have all ways been arguments for the rich and poor but when you are forced to live in absolute poverty then questions start to be asked. when we are all told by an acting p.m there is no money and we all have to share the burdens but it is all ways clearly aimed at the sick and poor and people have died purely through sanctions and cuts then serious questions need to be asked

and no I resent your remarks that I am jealous of the rich, I have some family who have plenty of money but I still love them to bits even though I have had to struggle many times. I am like many others who speak their minds when something is clearly going wrong.

and no I am not going in to any further arguments with someone like yourself.

The largest slice of the benefit bill goes on pensions which are ringfenced, there are 5million people who are working poor. They often receive benefit where the taxpayer enables their employer to continue paying £6.30 an hour, often on a zero hours contract.
    In the meantime Directors of the companies often get paid half a £million to £millions a year.
    The country is being run by a privaleged gang of millionairs who have never had to learn the value of money.
    That is why people Hate the rich.
    If we as a society are not careful the civil unrest taking place in Europe and the USA will spread.
    http://en.ria.ru/society/20141027/194668860/17-Detained-44-Police-Officers-Wounded-in-Germanys-Cologne.html
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...Racial-America
    Disaffected people of all races can only take so much, be it left or far right politics, trouble is brewing.

Omg you got to be kidding me??? Get rid of that cameron now!!!! He is a ******* disgrace i cant afford him to stay in power any longer!

There are many reasons as to why the rich donate to charities. Some are purely philanthropists and generally give to benefit others welfare.
    Then there are those who give to benefit them self's. such as donating to charities to offset against their Tax bill.
    I fear the majority fall into the latter category.

Quote Originally Posted by grgr11 View Post
    Why is there this contempt towards the rich? Is it because they are richer than you and have worked hard for their money?

It seems you are very jealous of the rich!

Many of the rich donate millions a year to charity, maybe you got a grant from a charity that receives donations from the rich, maybe a rich person has donated medical equipment at a hospital that you have used.

Stop slagging the rich, many of whom our charities and hospitals rely on there much needed donations.
    There's nothing wrong with being rich, however at the moment the poor do seem to be taking the biggest hit regarding cuts, working people on lower incomes as well. The rich could pay a bit more tax to help the deficit, instead of the poor taking the brunt of it all the time. Do you think it's fair that people on lower incomes keep being hit with cuts?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeydt1 View Post
    cutting benefit would not in any way clear their backlogs
    It would, because there would be less incentive for people to move from JSA to ESA.