Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Companionship when disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Have you ever considered a pen pal . I correspond with a Chinese woman who is presently sat in a hospital bed in China!

We have wonderful conversations and I learn so much about other cultures.

She is under going intensive acupuncture over a three month period and is a software developer.

I win for having the best long distant companion! 😄
    I agree Light and well done you.

I also have had some really interesting conversations with several people around the world, wonderful thing is the internet.

I converse with People from New Zealand, USA, China, Australia, Malaysia and India. Several years ago I was a Games Administrator for a mmorpg and through that I met up with so many people from every corner of the world. I have kept in contact with a few of them and it has been very interesting indeed.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

@ Lighttouch - wow, that's brilliant, >>>> throws a virtual pack of chocolates your way (Winner).

@ babyblu64 - I agree about unconditional love from pets, as you say they can manage to make most people smile.

I like this thread. Beau I envy you taking your dog for walks on your scooter. When I reach the stage of no longer working, this is what I want to do! I'd love a dog but just not possible at this time. I definitely think if I wasn't able to work I'd love the company and the need to go out at regular times.

Isn't it funny. I have a female friend who is very religious, believes in marriage and has just attended a wedding with her husband. Yet she contacts me today to ask if we can meet up on Wednesday. (I can't as I've got other stuff on).

I think she likes the security and companionship of marriage but likes to do her own thing too.

Relationships are funny things in my opinion.

PS We used to be lovers before her marriage. She's non-disabled.

I am married but I have my own life apart from my husband and he has his own life. We also have a life together. Best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    I am married but I have my own life apart from my husband and he has his own life. We also have a life together. Best of both worlds.
    Beau, that sounds like a healthy marriage.

The married woman I seem to meet launch onto me and usually I'm unaware they are married because they never tell me until later. Come to think of it they'e got married in their mid-thities but don't take a rig or change their surname. People at their place of work don't realise they are married.

I think what I've learnt is that they live their lives as individuals who happen to get on with their spouses but have set a life pattern. None of the married women I know can have children - that might be the clue!

Beau, that sounds like a healthy marriage.

The married woman I seem to meet launch onto me and usually I'm unaware they are married because they never tell me until later. Come to think of it they'e got married in their mid-thities but don't take a rig or change their surname. People at their place of work don't realise they are married.

I think what I've learnt is that they live their lives as individuals who happen to get on with their spouses but have set a life pattern. None of the married women I know can have children - that might be the clue!
    Can only giggle at 'the clue'.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Definitely, it doesn't mean you have to be joined at the hip

Isn't it funny. I have a female friend who is very religious, believes in marriage and has just attended a wedding with her husband. Yet she contacts me today to ask if we can meet up on Wednesday. (I can't as I've got other stuff on).
    I think she likes the security and companionship of marriage but likes to do her own thing too.

Relationships are funny things in my opinion.

PS We used to be lovers before her marriage. She's non-disabled.
    Gosh that's different. I believe couples should be a unit but also individuals

Quote Originally Posted by RaspberryRipple View Post
    This is a very inspiring thead and it is interesting to view the different responses. I'm severely disabled with multiple disabilities. I work x3 days per week as a volunteer and now my world has opened up a new life for me.
    I have met so many interesting people and am in an environment where my disabilities are understood so I can take time off or go home early anytime if I need to. This has allowed me to focus on making a difference (albeit a small one) to other people's lives and helping others and the focus is taken off my health issues. I'm still wheelchair bound, have feeding and continence issues but somehow it all feels in proportion. I have also taken up x2 evening activities, so for me being out of the house as much as possible has allowed me to be sociable again. This time last year I was too ill to even go out. Now I'm living a new life and I love it! So never give up hope, no matter what.
    Wow now that is productive and keeps you out of mischief and helping others. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
    I like this thread. Beau I envy you taking your dog for walks on your scooter. When I reach the stage of no longer working, this is what I want to do! I'd love a dog but just not possible at this time. I definitely think if I wasn't able to work I'd love the company and the need to go out at regular times.
    I agree, great idea with the scooter