Thread: PIP Change of circumstances?

PIP Change of circumstances?

Hello just wondering if anyone can help? I applied for PIP, having never applied for a benefit before, back in Feb 14. I have a progressive lifelong condition and first applied for a blue badge only. That was awarded in June 13, then PIP was awarded in Feb 14. I was awarded higher rate care and got 10 points on the mobility. I didnt appeal as I felt overall just glad to have got through it all. It was awarded for 4 years but now 9 months on I have continued to get worse and feel I should now qualify for the higher rate mobility.

Has anyone got any experience of applying for change? I assume there is a chance that the next person could asses me differently and I could get less points? Even with a progressive condition?

what do others think I should do? Leave it and be grateful for what I have?

thanks very much in advance!

Hello Kaff

You need proof (Medical Evidence) of your deterioration, if you have this it can be sent with a letter explaining your situation and the 'Descriptors' you now meet to the DWP. Though I would strongly advise you contact a qualified adviser like your local CAB for help in doing this.

All the best

Hi Kaff79

Not applied for a change. I recommend you do as Jard has suggested, get advice from CAB, they have really helped me over the years.

Do you know if i would need to go through Atos again? As if it was a brand new claim? The only evidence i have of deterioration is an increase in pain meds. There is nothing more that can be done for my condition, only manage the pain. Do you think this is sufficient? Thanks again

As I said above, you should speak to a qualified benefits adviser, they will be in a position to review all your paperwork and give you a professional opinion on your case.

If your condition had improved in any way, there is no question that you must report a change in circumstances. As you have unfortunately deteriorated, it's really up to you whether you report a change of circumstances now or whether you wait for reassessment.

There is no set process for a change of circumstances. As always, your description of the problems you face with the PIP activities as a result of your condition is very important. If you follow Jard's excellent advice of getting medical evidence to support your contention that your mobility has deteriorated, and that evidence also says that in all other regards your level of impairment is either stable or deteriorating, DWP might decide to limit their fresh look to the "moving around" activity, especially as you cannot be awarded a higher Daily Living rate.

In other words, any change of circumstances case should really have two aims:
    • to demonstrate that on the majority of days your walking ability is now under 20m, and
    • to make the case that in all other regards you are at least as restricted as you were at the time of your most recent assessment

I know you've said that an increase in pain medication is the only outward sign of your change in condition, but that might mean the doctor authorising the increase will be able to provide a brief letter explaining the justification for that change. You can then build your case around that letter.

As others have said, it is possible for DWP to decide to carry out an early reassessment. It is possible for a change in circumstances report to trigger a fresh PIP2 How your disability affects you questionnaire and for a new face to face assessment to be carried out. In that case, an entirely new decision will be made.

Hi thanks for all your replies. I will take a look at all my paperwork again to see if it says anything more than just stronger meds. At the time i was so happy to get patches I didnt think about anything else. Since ive started getting breakthrough pain again I have been thinking more about a change in circumstances. I'll try and make a decision before Christmas and get it out of the way. Thanks everyone.