Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Having to keep scooter outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    I appreciate my answer was likely not what you wanted to hear about the broader issues, but I cannot change the nature of leasehold property or the likely terms of your landlady's lease.
    Flymo, you are excusing what you posted. There is no need for that, you gave over and above what was required which to me was a plus. If the OP didn't like it then it is their loss.

I would like to apologise for my reaction. I'm not in a very good place at the moment emotionally and am not coping with anything.

I know the ins and outs of the lease, landlady, management company here already and because I was in such a bad place yesterday (wishing myself dead), I wasn't thinking rationally, still aren't really.

What I would appreciate now is a) please forgive my reaction and b) some useful tips on how I can protect my batteries, and motor for that matter from extreme cold. It's still relatively mild at the moment but it's possible it will get very cold and I am terrified my scooter will seize up altogether and I would then be pretty much grounded.

I think it's best to avoid any talk of leases, landlady and other such things as it's a very delicate subject with me and one hell of a long story that I am unable to cope with discussing any more than I mentioned in my original post.

Alison

Welcome back hazi1610 - we all have meltdowns, great you returned.

I like some of the ideas the others listed, about taking the battery out or a different type of battery. I don't actually have a scooter, because I have no where to put one, though to rent them from Shopmobility. Hence I was keen to find out myself.

Hopefully the more experienced will help you.

Just a few more ideas:

You say they won't let you put up a shed; have tried asking about a temporary shelter such as this:
    http://www.buyshedsdirect.co.uk/gard...n-storage-tent
    They may be more ameniable if it can be taken down and stored in the summer.

There also some neat looking plastic storage ideas on that website. The one designed to take two bins on this page looks like it may fit a scooter. (and theres a slightly bigger version a few pictures down).
    http://www.buyshedsdirect.co.uk/gard...astic-storage/

If you can show them pictures of something like that they may see its not unsightly and change their minds.

In realy cold weather you may also want to look at keeping the battery warm if you can't bring it indoors.
    Believe it or not you can buy heater blankets for your batteries, or heated pads that sit under them.
    If you are going to use one on your patio then make sure its rated for outdoor use.
    Also be careful if looking on Amazon or ebay, a lot of these are designed for us in the USA and Canada so can't be used in the UK as the mains voltage is different.

If they do let you install some kind of storage box then it may also be worth looking at small greenhouse frost protection heaters. While you are there take a look at plant frost protection blankets, you may not need a heater with one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by hazi1610 View Post
    I would like to apologise for my reaction. I'm not in a very good place at the moment emotionally and am not coping with anything.

I know the ins and outs of the lease, landlady, management company here already and because I was in such a bad place yesterday (wishing myself dead), I wasn't thinking rationally, still aren't really.

What I would appreciate now is a) please forgive my reaction and b) some useful tips on how I can protect my batteries, and motor for that matter from extreme cold. It's still relatively mild at the moment but it's possible it will get very cold and I am terrified my scooter will seize up altogether and I would then be pretty much grounded.

I think it's best to avoid any talk of leases, landlady and other such things as it's a very delicate subject with me and one hell of a long story that I am unable to cope with discussing any more than I mentioned in my original post.

Alison
    Hi Alison

I don't think you have anything to apologise for, personally.

Hopefully there are some useful ideas on this thread for you.

Batteries usually come with a charging cable and are usually removable for charging. Insurance? is the scooter insured? and would it be covered (by the insurers) outside, even in a hallway? I would put in in the flat, even allowing for difficulty.
    I would not want to get mine wet or cold!
    Does it dismantle at all?

There's no need to apologise for your current struggles - I think many here can empathise. I'm so glad you felt able to post again and let us know how you were doing.

One of the biggest drawbacks of any online forum is that all we have is words on the page. I worked with the information you gave, attempting to give the fullest possible answer. Now that I understand your wishes, I can honour them - I'm sure the same goes for other posters.

some useful tips on how I can protect my batteries, and motor for that matter from extreme cold. It's still relatively mild at the moment but it's possible it will get very cold and I am terrified my scooter will seize up altogether and I would then be pretty much grounded.
    Scooters are typically more robust than the manufacturers make out, especially if you have a rain canopy. My girlfriend's scooter, which has a rain canopy, lives in her porch area open to the elements and copes fairly well, though it's understandable you want to do your best to get your scooter under cover. Her cats love sitting on top of the rain canopy, as it gives them a high vantage point.

As we have said, the batteries will be best if you take them indoors. You should be able to get a charging harness to charge the batteries when they're not on the scooter if you don't have this facility with the battery box and harness arrangements you already have.

If you can't get the batteries inside, but can rig up the charger without the charger itself getting wet, it can help to leave the batteries on charge when the charge cycle has finished. This should give them a trickle charge to keep them topped up, which will also help to keep the batteries warm.

If you are going to use the charger with the batteries outside, make sure your power runs through an RCD - either one fitted in your consumer unit (fuse box) or a plug in unit. This will cut the power if moisture starts conducting electricity where it shouldn't be going. You can tell if you have an RCD in your consumer unit because it will have a 'test' button on it, which you should press at least once a quarter to check it cuts the power.

I'm glad you posted again. I think lots of people here are facing situations that feel too much to cope with, and I'm sure everyone understands this.

If it's ok, a quick battery question. I mostly leave my scooter in the boot of my car; I can't carry it inside and need help to do this. (mostly charge it at work as I use powered chair there). If the weather gets seriously cold, does the boot offer enough protection or would it be better for the battery to be inside overnight if minus temperatures?

Alison as your scooter will be outside, can you wrap it up/cover the battery (before you put the cover over it)? I use some fleecy stuff (technical name!!) to protect a couple of plants overnight when the weather is cold, and it does work.

Fliss, that brought back memories. Years ago, my car didn't like the cold (the battery). I used to wrap it up at night with a blanket, that way it would start in the cold/snow etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AmyS View Post
    Fliss, that brought back memories. Years ago, my car didn't like the cold (the battery). I used to wrap it up at night with a blanket, that way it would start in the cold/snow etc...
    Amy, how sweet, I've a feeling you'll be naming your car Karl the Ka and buying him a big scarf to keep the chill off his bonnet.