Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIP decision scored 0 for everything

PIP decision scored 0 for everything

Hi this is my first post her but I have been reading the posts on the forums for some time reading about the experiences of people journeys through the joy of pip.

I applied for PIP on the 15th of November 2013 and had my face to face with ATOS on Monday 3rd of novemeber 2014 after they cancelled my last appointment which should have been last month I received a decision letter on the 8th which was dated the 6th.

I suffer with depression and anxiety and have been told that I show symptoms of bi-polar but have yet to have that officially diagnosed. I have suffered with my condition since early 2008 and it lead to me losing my job as I was not able to attend work as at times I could not leave the house.

I was so nervous and anxious at the assesment that I feel I struggled to get my point across about my condition and how it affects me. I did feel I had done ok after the assesment the person was nice and tried to prompt me with her questioing to get answers from me and even stopped the assesment to share details of how her mental health issues affected her and how she had coped etc. But now reading through the decion letter it seems that everything I have said has been twisted and used against me.

I was meant to take my partner along with me but my daughter was off school and so I had to go alone without the support I needed from her.

I have tried to sit down and write a letter for a reconsideration with my partner helps to try to describe in as much detail how I am affected or not by each question they use but I am finding it hard to work out if I am using the right words as most of what i am typing is exactly what I said and to me sounds like i meet the criteria required.

Its so annoying as I have just started uni on the advice of my dr to get me out of the house and I was starting to feel like things were moving in the right direction now it feels like everything is starting to crack and crumble yet again.

My best advice would be for you to contact a qualified benefit adviser like your local CAB or welfare Rights. As they have an understanding of the PIP Descriptors and it is the activities in these that you must address when explaining the difficulties you have as a result of your medical condition.

If you are at Uni/College you can also speak with their Welfare Officer, it is what they're there for, do this ASAP as there is only a 28 day window to initiate Mandatory Reconsideration from the date on the decision notice/letter.

All the best with it, keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks for your reply jard I actually have a personnel mentor at uni she has been assigned after I was awarded disabled students allowance I contacted her this morning. She has no experience of PIP but is going to speak to her boss and come back to me tommorrow with what we do next.

I really hate the way this whole PIP is conducted why they cant just ask your Dr for a report I dont know.

you need to ring up pip to get them to send you the medical report as soon as possible read most of Flymo post,s as as far as i am concerned he give,s out great advice or he mite see this and reply all the best

I have his post open in another tab and have been reading through it all day trying to get my head around it but im so stressed out at the moment its not really registering. I have already requested a full report did that on thursday or friday funnily the assecor advised me to ask for it after the assesment was finished and stated it would save me alot of trouble if it came with my decision but based on her timing i was expecting a decision to take 8-9 weeks but it only took a few days.

This is a classic mistake; "why they cant just ask your Dr for a report I dont know"; it isn't about your 'Medical Condition' it's about the effects of it and the 'activities and Descriptors' I drew your attention to above. This is why you need someone with experience/understanding of how it all applies to your particular circumstances. From talking to you and viewing your paperwork they will know which of those 'Descriptors' apply to you
    Last edited by Jard; 10-11-14 at 00:08. Reason: Adding text

Thanks jard vary valid point I'm not thinking straight and just venting. I will get my partner to book an appointment with cab tommorrow as I could definitely use the help my letter so far is 6 pages long and I'm not sure if
    what I am writing is relevant or just waffle

As Jard rightly says, PIP is about the problems you face with the PIP activities as a result of your medical conditions, not your symptoms. Your explanation of these problems is key - without it you are likely to miss out on points you would otherwise have scored.

Your doctor cannot give detailed answers about how your symptoms affect you in everyday life. In any event, DWP will not go out of their way to make your case for you.

I'm writing on a mobile phone, so I can't easily provide direct links, but the most useful parts of the sticky PIP thread are the section starting under the heading "Reconsideration" in about the seventh post. If you read to the end of that post, including the section about maximising points based on Helen's reconsideration experience, hopefully you'll have a much better idea what to do. Words in coloured text are clickable links.

If possible within the one month time limit, get help from an advisor who is experienced with PIP. If that isn't possible, it is possible to succeed at reconsideration by writing your own carefully argued reconsideration submission.

If you have any specific queries on PIP, I'm sure people here will their best to help.

I wish you well with your studies. I'm coming towards the end of a law degree, but there's an awful lot of work still to do!

Thanks for all the replys. Flymo I have been studying the mentioned thread and links all day whilst writing my letter hopefully I can get some support from somewhere to make sure it makes sense

Well it seems that the cab is struggling with demand and may not be able to see me for a number of weeks. I have phoned pip and stated that I wish for a reconsideration to be carried out and that I will be sending a detailed letter they said that nothing will happen unroll they receive this so that's one less thing to worry about. I will be meeting with someone from my universitys welfare team tod
    ay so hopefully they can help fingers crossed.