Thread: Benefits when caring

Benefits when caring

Can anyone tell me what I can claim while looking after my 81 year old mum please? She lives with me and has done for over twelve months since she had a bad accident. She gets high rate DLA and care but I claim nothing and have been living on her money and what little savings I had. I tried claiming carers allowance and income support last month but was refused both. Any help would be most appreciated.

On what grounds was the Carer's Allowance claim rejected? Assuming your mother has middle or highest rate of the DLA Care component, nobody else gets Carer's Allowance for looking after her and you are caring for her for at least 35 hours a week, it should be granted.

Your mother would have to give permission for your Carer's Allowance claim and would be warned her benefits might be affected, but she's living with you so wouldn't qualify for the part she would lose anyway (Severe Disability Premium).

If your mother only has the lowest rate of the DLA Care component, you cannot claim Carer's Allowance for looking after her. If she is as dependent as you suggest, it might be that lowest rate Care component is no longer appropriate, in which case she could ask for the award to be looked at again.

Entitlement to other benefits as a carer depends on receipt of Carer's Allowance, which is why that is the correct place to start.

I thought people of your mums age claimed attendance allowance and this was to help pay for any care they needed
    Sea Queen

Attendance Allowance is paid to anyone over the age of 65 when they claimed. If this lady was under 65 when she claimed she would have been entitled to DLA and would still be entitled to it.
    Attendance Allowance and DLA are both taken into account by the finance department of the local authority if the care is provided by social Services and the LA funds it - or partly funds it.
    It is an allowance that is paid to help you pay for any care that you need and are receiving, some people seem to think its just a part of the weekly income, to pay for food etc, its not, its to help toward funding the care you need.