Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Technology - how useful is it to you?

I saw an invitation that addressed disabled people to see if they could help in a research project relating to 3-D printing technology. And today I was notified that I can join the team.

I know it's geeky but I'm quite excited to be involved and will hopefully be able to experiment with this relatively new technology that's at the cutting edge of custom manufacturing. Here's what I'm in for starting on 12 December 2014. . . . .

Could you help to shape our
    research project?

We aim to explore the possibilities of 'digital fabrication', or '3D' printing - a new technology which allows us to print three dimensional objects from computer files.

? We want to find out whether this technology can help to improve the lives of disabled people, their families and their communities.

? Working with disabled people, their friends, families, carers and communities, we want to offer access to and training in digital fabrication.

? In return for your time, we can offer expert facilitation, training, mentoring, and support . We can pay expenses too.

HOW COOL!!

<span style="font-family: arial; font-size: medium;"><strong>

I was really looking forward to getting involved with this forum above in person this afternoon.

Programmed in the destination on my smartphone and I was talked through the directions and ended up on Campus but then disaster . . .

The very street I needed to use to gain access to the building we were meeting in had been closed while heavy industrial trucks and cranes were being used on a nearby building - bugger!! It was too far away to park up and get there on foot - if only my electric wheelchair had been ordered. I had no option but to head for home.

What irritates me is that the people who organised this day wuld have been away of an 'access issue' on Monday. Goes to show you that people do need 'disability awareness training' to understand that simple barriers to some turn out to be big disabling barriers to some disabled people.

So how did it make me feel - a bit sad, a bit angry and a bit non-plussed to think that a University can't think ahead and find a new accessible venue for disabled people to attend!

LT: hope you emailed said uni with your concerns. Well in fiction ie on telly they have 3D printed heart valves and Jman says they are theoretically proposing printing a kidney.....
    I too have Virgin media...I'm pleased overall....we downsized our "bundle" - I don't WANT all the flippin sports channels! and son paid for netflix! Very useful I can pause (loo breaks) and stop (phone call from Jman) and record when there is good prog and watch when there is zippo!

Reddivine, when I was on the Campus looking at the blocked road I did leave a message on the lecturer's answering machine highlighting what I thought of his accessible venue. Maybe that's why he never got back!

More technology - ordered xmas presents through Amazon which were delivered yesterday by Alex at DPD - he even brought them into the spare room - what a service.

Finalised xmas shopping online and using 'click and collect' which makes life easy!

I order my groceries online (couldn't manage otherwise). Done a lot of xmas shopping the last 3 yrs online. (crowds and wheelies do NOT mix). I do LIKE shopping but with a wheelchair, you can't get much or you need a "minion" to carry bags!
    But to get back to
    Technology - how useful is it to you?

Well w.o. the laptop, i could not do shopping, talk to the b/friend on Skype, contact people, do my banking, network (like here).
    Also am part of the admin team at church. Which works as i have TIME and skills and wd go insane w.o. my work.

I had no internet connection for the last two days. (Long story).

Withdrawal sypmtoms.

Tech is so useful in our everyday lives! Most of us couldn't get anywhere without Google Maps. And who doesn't love playing on a bit of Candy Crush?

Does anyone think they could go a week without using their smartphone? I certainly couldn't!

Without technology none of us would be able to talk to each other. Were all using some form of device to access this website.

Whilst i wouldnt consider myself a tech geek, the technology i do have is very useful to me. For example the internet has been a valuable source of information for me over the last year with everything that has been going on with my health. Looking up symptoms of depression and matching them up to me is what gave me the confidence to make that initial trip to my GP.

Even things like ebay and amazon have been great for me being able to find items without having to search through store after store.

Sat nav has gave me the freedom to go out and visit places. I can remember the days before i had sat nav, attempting to use an a-z and more often than not, getting lost. Constantly having to stop to look at the map again.

Quite a lot of the technology we use today stems from the military. Sat Nav is on your smartphone or TomTom but initially it was used to guide Cruise missiles to blow up their target.

The next time you have a fry up remember that 'Teflon' for non-stick qualities originated via the US Space Programme!

thats where the funds for research go. Digital fabrication? well for all the talk of printing body parts, didn't take long for someone to try printing a gun, did it? Le sigh......