Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car tax reduction - PIP standard rate mobility

Car tax reduction - PIP standard rate mobility

Just had the reminder for the tax on the car and I am now entitled to a 50% reduction as I have been awarded standard rate mobility component of PIP.

I know I can't renew the tax online this time, but can I do it at a Post Office, or do I have to apply via post to Swansea? I'd really rather not risk sending my statement of entitlement, MOT certificate etc., to them in the post if I can avoid it as I'll worry about them losing them.

You need to go to a Post Office, taking the Certificate of Entitlement and V5C Registration Certificate for the car with you as well as the usual documents to tax the car.

Full information is in leaflet INS216 (I know it says it's for free tax - I believe the half rate tax is the same system).

Thanks Flymo - helpful as always

Do you have to wait until your tax is due for renewal before you can take advantage of getting the discount? Or can you claim it back? I renewed my tax in October but have now been awarded standard rate mobility from November 2013

You can retax the car now at the Post Office. Any remaining full months at the standard rate will be refunded and you then have to retax the car at the 50% off rate.

Really annoyed with the local PO who this morning insisted there's no such thing as a 50% reduction for standard rate mobility. Both girls assured me I was wrong and the best they could do was to suggest I try the main PO in town in case they might have heard of it. That's out of the question s the town centre is pedestrianized and the car park is too far away for me to walk.

I shall just hve to trust the postal service/DVLA not to lose my paperwork and apply by post. I should have guessed the PO staff would be unaware of the system - could have saved a journey and the inevitable pain and fatigue that result from standing in a queue!

Write a letter of complaint to the postmaster at that address - you may get a few free stamps for xmas
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

I was about to reply to you but it seems the correct information on how to tax your car with a 50% has now been posted.

I have recently sent mine off and they have all been returned safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Write a letter of complaint to the postmaster at that address - you may get a few free stamps for xmas
    Why does he need to write a letter of complaint ?

You have to send all the documents needed to tax a car off to DVLA to get the 50% discount, the staff at the Post Office would not know this.

I would think it was the DVLA who should pass all this information on to Post Office staff.

Wrong information was given on how to tax his car, not the fault of the Post Office staff was it?!