Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hows that.

hows that.

so tv last night a roma gypsy getting 1700 pounds a month in benefit and not put in a penny. i put in for 42 years and get 80 pound a month ,no wonder this country is bankrupt. id like a politician to explain how this can be.

Quote Originally Posted by dickson View Post
    so tv last night a roma gypsy getting 1700 pounds a month in benefit and not put in a penny. i put in for 42 years and get 80 pound a month ,no wonder this country is bankrupt. id like a politician to explain how this can be.
    Many of us are in the same position as yourself. It is so unfair, it is happening to many of us who have paid into the system, saved and contributed to a pension for years. Because we have helped ourselves we get no outside help at all.
    There is nothing we can do to prevent it happening.

The man in question must have persuaded HMRC he is genuinely self-employed in the UK in order to qualify for Child Tax Credit. Some of the things he said on the programme raised questions as to whether he is in the UK for the minimum time required each year, also whether his scrap metal related activities in the UK are sufficiently extensive to represent genuine self-employment.

If an EU citizen is working and paying tax in the UK, it is only right they acquire some entitlements in the UK system. It is an open question what length of presence and level of contribution should be required for each benefit.

he admitted he does not pay anything as his earnings are so low,so all he had to do was take an invoice for scrap to the benefit office and hello paradise.the system that allows this is shocking.wheres ian duncan smith now......

If his claim is fraudulent - and we do not have the information to be certain - his is not the only fraudulent claim. I suspect the majority of fraudulent claims are from UK citizens. Meanwhile, DWP's own figures show that benefit fraud is very low - on most benefits it is considerably lower than the sums lost to official error.

I am sure there are fraudulent claims from non UK citizens with recourse to UK benefits, also I am sure there are fraudulent claims based on self-employment that is not genuine. It's just that I do not want to give oxygen to any of the pervasive claims that certain groups are likely to be committing fraud, or the myth that it is possible to conclude someone is committing fraud based on scanty second-hand evidence.

I am sure the man in question has drawn sufficient attention to himself for his claims to be investigated.

Please take into consideration that programs like that are made to get exactly this reaction - I'm sure karma will get the person in question back anyway.

Also, what has the fact that he's a Romany Gypsy have to do with it? Could be anyone..I guess the program really wanted to focus on that to create even more of a media sensation with it.

authentic romany gypsies (i can only speak for the irish ones in ireland) are a proud and moral community. Most are self employed and always have been. They help out their own who need help. The gypsies claiming benefits, going around in vans scamming and robbing are not romany. They are tinkers. Knowing and growing up in a town with a large community of romanies i would be very suprised to find genuine romanies claiming benefits as a huge part of their value system is total independance from the main system. This even applies to their childrens education
    i didnt see the programme but why is the man claiming benefits if he is working and how on earth does he get so much?

[QUOTE=sandyp196;74638
    i didnt see the programme but why is the man claiming benefits if he is working and how on earth does he get so much?[/QUOTE]

Not all benefits are out of work benefits. For example PIP can be claimed even of the claimant is working.

If he also has dependent children, he could be getting tax credits and child benefit which would soon stack up the figure?

The scenario presented was a Romanian man living in England and working as a self employed scrap metal dealer, claiming Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit for his three children who lived with his wife in Romania. No other benefits were mentioned.