Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New carpet laid, bit of a smell.

New carpet laid, bit of a smell.

This may be a little long.

So we have had a new carpet laid on Saturday and since Sunday I felt there was a bit of a smell, not the new carpet smell which I really like, but a bit of a musty smell IMO.

I am very smell sensitive and it's giving me a bit of a headache everyday. When I come in from being out I can smell it and it's not great, which it should be with new carpet.

My mother is not smell sensitive, the other year there was a rotting onion in the pantry and I said it smelt and she told me my nose was to close to my behind.

So I have explained to her I can smell something, she of course cannot and thinks it's new carpet smell, we have found off cuttings that were left the carpet smells nice and the underlay smells somewhat musty to me. It must be the underlay that is giving off the smell.
    When I go down onto the floor it smells musty close to and it's just not pleasant to me.

I don't know what to do or if anything even can be done. In all honesty I wasn't impressed with the fitters in the first place. My Mother cannot smell anything (but she has little sense of smell) and doesn't want any trouble with the men. They were an independent.

I'm not sure what to do, has anyone had a similar problem.

I would get it checked out if I were you as if there are mould spores this can cause repiritary problems

Who would you recommend checks it?

I'm sorry I have no idea about any of this and like I said my Mother says she cannot smell anything.

Did the carpet fitters use any kind of glue to fix (parts of) the underlay down?

It isn't always used, but sometimes is and it can smell mouldy or even fishy for a few weeks as it dries out.

They did use some glue to glue certain parts.

We used another layer who used glue and I couldn't smell anything directly afterwards.

Can it smell for a few weeks afterwards if glue was used? I suppose it could well be that.

Yes it can take a few weeks to dry out.

How long it takes to fully dry, whether it smells, and what it smells of whilst drying, all depends on the type of glue that was used.
    There are hundreds of different types of glue it could be.

Did they by any chance leave an empty tin or tube behind, perhaps in the bin, so you could read the label and maybe have a sniff?

Advice would be to leave the windows open to help drying and disperse any smell; but at this time of year you'd probably freeze to death.
    You could try something like shake-and-vac to cover the smell for a while.

i would just complain and ask for a refund or a new carpet. An unpleasant smell over a large area is IMO not acceptable for any legnth of time. What if it doesnt go away and the carpet is worn then? i would phone tommorow and say you cant cope with the smell. Im sure your mother be fine if you assure her you will deal with it all and take the blame so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyp196 View Post
    i would just complain and ask for a refund or a new carpet. An unpleasant smell over a large area is IMO not acceptable for any legnth of time. What if it doesnt go away and the carpet is worn then? i would phone tommorow and say you cant cope with the smell. Im sure your mother be fine if you assure her you will deal with it all and take the blame so to speak.
    Well that's what I want to do.
    Last edited by birdwatcher; 13-12-14 at 21:48.

If it wasn't December, I'd say open the windows. I think, like paint, the new carpet has a smell that goes away after days. And if central heating is on, then that will be wafting it arould the house.

Did your mother never teach you not to use the carpet.. *groan*

Our sense of smell can deteriorate as we get older (I know my dad doesn't notice smells I do).

Keep the house well ventilated, some carpet underlay can carry a smell for a few weeks, they shouldn't be using excessive glue anyway.

Consider trading standards perhaps. Other than that. We've had both our carpets fitted by John Lewis, who did a very professional job.