Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pip and home visit

Pip and home visit

Hi guys.just joined this site and hoping I can get some feedback.i applied for pip in the beginning of October as I had to give up work due to my gastroparisis and panentric neuropathy.basically my stomach doesn't empty properly leading to constant nausea ,bloating and nerve pain in my stomach.this has also led to my bowels now not functioning properly and I have to take massive doses of laxatives which can be very unpredictable!! Sorry about the details but just want you to know the facts!!
    I went to the cab and they helped me fill the forms in and I had a letter from my consultant confirming my condition and saying that how it affects my day to day living and ability to work.i sent it off on nov 10th and had a text and letter to inform me it would take a minimum of 28 weeks for any progress.
    Imagine my surprise and shock when I received a letter today saying I have my face to face from atos on New Year's Eve at 10.30 and...they are doing a home visit.
    Is this positive news or should I be worried that they are doing a home visit.i have no issues with mobility it's only day to day stuff reguarding food and toilet,planning journo gs and interacting with people when I am sick.
    Would love your input peeps!!

If it is Capita home visits are their usual way, so nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    If it is Capita home visits are their usual way, so nothing to worry about.
    No it's atos. I only thought they came out if you had mobility issues.this pip stuff consumes you!! It's all I can think about and now I am worrying myself stupid over Xmas!!!

Could be because of what you put on the claim form and they are playing safe re toilet issues.
    Don't worry about it, easy to say, I know. Give them a ring on Monday and just ask the reason.

On my form I told the truth in that due to the amount if laxatives I take and the unpredictability of them I do at least once a week don't make it to the toilet in time.i also have fainting issues as it can sometimes be violent and sudden if I haven't been for 5 or so days.i also said ,which is true that sometimes my husband has to sit with me due to me fainting and stay in the bathroom whilst I shower as I can be very shaken afterwards.also I suffer from emetophobia(morbid fear of vomiting) epwhich having gastroparisis is the worst thing.this leads to self harm episodes and when I go to vomit I can become very aggressive due to my fear and anxiety.i have told the 100% truth and based my answers on my worst days?I am just so worried?how can he give me a medical and judge me when my condition Is not visible?

Please don't worry about the fact that it's a home visit; the details you have written here seem like good justification for a home visit - hopefully it will make the assessment less stressful for you.

There is a lot of pressure to process PIP applications more quickly; unacceptable delays have been widely reported and people posting here have had to wait for approx 12 months for the whole assessment process to be completed. So I suspect ATOS are trying to work through their backlog, hence doing assessments on New Year's Eve; the home visit could be for as simple a reason as reception staff, etc, are on annual leave and so the person doing your assessment may have to do home visits that day.

PIP applications and assessments are stressful, everyone here would agree about that. Have a read through the sticky thread which has some very good advice to prepare you for the assessment. Try not to worry.

I join the others in suggesting you take the situation at face value. For some reason, Atos have felt able to offer you a relatively quick appointment, which just happens to be at home. This might be because of your incontinence problem, because there's no centre facilities available on that day or because Atos have directly taken on self employed staff in your area, Capita style, to keep the waiting time down. Atos' usual approach with PIP is to use subcontractors such as physiotherapy clinics rather than directly engaging assessors.

Tempting as it is, try not to overthink the situation. Your focus should be on painting a good quality picture of the problems you face with the PIP activities as a result of your health problems and disabilities. The assessment arrangements employed don't determine your entitlement to PIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    I join the others in suggesting you take the situation at face value. For some reason, Atos have felt able to offer you a relatively quick appointment, which just happens to be at home. This might be because of your incontinence problem, because there's no centre facilities available on that day or because Atos have directly taken on self employed staff in your area, Capita style, to keep the waiting time down. Atos' usual approach with PIP is to use subcontractors such as physiotherapy clinics rather than directly engaging assessors.

Tempting as it is, try not to overthink the situation. Your focus should be on painting a good quality picture of the problems you face with the PIP activities as a result of your health problems and disabilities. The assessment arrangements employed don't determine your entitlement to PIP.
    Thank you so much everyone for your input.this has reassured me.as it's new to me I am on Virgin ground.I will keep you updated so it may help others x

Is this positive news or should I be worried that they are doing a home visit.i have no issues with mobility it's only day to day stuff reguarding food and toilet,planning journo gs and interacting with people when I am sick.
    Would love your input peeps!![/QUOTE]

Its good news that your assessment has been arranged however were you say you have no issues with mobility don't mention that to the assessor let the health care provider and DWP reach there own conclusion regarding the award of points for the mobility component as they may consider you have issues because of your medical condition and how it affects you when your away from home in others words don't shoot yourself in the foot
    I hope things get better for you Jan......................Paul

Hello everyone again
    I am seeing my gp tonight and am going to ask him for a letter to give to atos when they visit me.i have already supplied one from my consultant but this only confirmed my diagnosis.could you please advise what key points I should ask my gp to include in his letter please .many thanx in advance x
    Last edited by jan1963; 12-15-2014 at 01:52 PM.