Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lovely surprise this morning.

Lovely surprise this morning.

I had a lovely surprise this morning.

The doorbell rung and on answering, there was a man there with a box. He showed his ID, and he was the community guy from the local Tesco.

The box was a small selection of goodies as a Christmas hamper. Chocolates, Christmas cake, etc.

Apparrently they pick out a street each year to recieve the hampers. (not sure if its because we are in sheletered accommodation).

All the bungalows got a hamper.

I just wanted to share as I feel so touched and grateful for this unexpected gift. It really has made my day.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

How lovely! You must be thrilled to bits, it's a wonderful gesture.
    By the way I notice from your post you're in Staffs - so am I! Only just sent PIP forms off - did you have Capita for your assessment?

Hi

Yes I had Capita. They did a home visit. My partner was here with me as he is also my main carer and I don't cope well with strangers, social situations etc. It was not as daunting as I thought, the lady took her time and listened to all I had to say.

I was awarded high rate for both components. (I was transferring from DLA, both high rates also).

I did write about my experience and Flymo kindly put it on the sticky PIP thread for me.

Good luck with your PIP claim and I hope it is all sorted as soon as possible for you x
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Raspberry, I did not see it as taking pity on me. I just saw it as a lovely gesture. If it had been only me getting one then I maybe would have felt a bit different, but all the residents got one, so I just thought it was a very nice Christmas present,.

To be honest, your comment has upset me as it sounds like you think I am not deserving and should give it to someone else.
    Last edited by babyblu64; 19-12-14 at 13:53. Reason: added comment

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    Hi

Yes I had Capita. They did a home visit. My partner was here with me as he is also my main carer and I don't cope well with strangers, social situations etc. It was not as daunting as I thought, the lady took her time and listened to all I had to say.

I was awarded high rate for both components. (I was transferring from DLA, both high rates also).

I did write about my experience and Flymo kindly put it on the sticky PIP thread for me.

Good luck with your PIP claim and I hope it is all sorted as soon as possible for you x
    Thankyou Babyblu, I am actually appointee for my 16 yr old son with autism, he has been 'invited' to claim for PIP following his birthday. I am hoping against hope for a paper based assessment, as he has acute social anxiety and is unable to speak to anyone outside the family except for 2 teachers and one friend....and I REALLY don't want to have to break all his 'weaknesses' down into minute detail for a F2F in front of him - if he hears me speak that way about him he will believe that he is useless, poor thing

Oh Razzy,

I sort of know what you are meaning; but.

They were not 'feeling sorry' for you, they just knew that you were one of a lot of people who can struggle at this time of year when you see all the adverts for things you cant afford. (Pisses me off for one).

I digress but there was a thing on telly last month that said- "If you can't treat yourself at christmass" and I mentally added 'your probably on ESA'

So they don't realise that you have had to be a lot stronger than them to cope.
    They don't realise that they may be seen as condescending.
    They are trying to be nice, get them to realise that they should be doing this all year for their local community not just sending £5 to band aid, giving a parcel out at christmass, etc.
    I bet that you will be good at shaking them up.

And if someone comes round with a gift parcel that you dont need, then thank them and pass it on to someone who does.

Anyway, just in case my internet goes down again- slangevar

Exellent Babyblue, what a lovely Christmas surprise

thats so nice. last yr my support worker brought me a small hamper on xmas eve that the local church had donated. food, a turkey some chocs. she also broughy me a few toys to give my grandson as xmas presents as i had no money to buy any. i burst into tears at the most incredible kindness of strangers. it really helped me get through christmas and even feel a bit christmassy

What a lovely surprise, really pleased for all who got a hamper
    Sea Queen

We are off to my partner's parents today for a pre-Christmas get together. We are taking the hamper with us for the family to share.