Thread: Bedroom tax

Bedroom tax

I have a two bed but my son has moved out, I am in receipt of ESA Support Group, am i liable for bedroom tax.

Any advice would be great.

There are some exemptions to having to pay the so called 'bedroom tax'.

Have a read of this to see if you are exempt:

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/bedroom-tax

If you aren't exempt and will suffer from financial hardship then there are some possible solutions:

1. Investigate taking a lodger (boarder)
    2. Ask the council about a Discretionary Housing Payment
    3. Do a swap to a one bed bedroomed place.

You need to inform the council of your change of circumstances and while you are there explain your situation and ask for some advice.

Yes, you are. There is only an exemption for disability if an extra bedroom is needed for a carer who does not live with you to stay overnight and provide care.

Quote Originally Posted by josephine View Post
    I have a two bed but my son has moved out, I am in receipt of ESA Support Group, am i liable for bedroom tax.

Any advice would be great.

Hi Josephine,

Let's look at the options.

1 Stay where you are and pay extra for the spare room.
    2 Be put on the housing list to be rehoused into a one bed flat - point based system that could take years.
    3 Homeswap. Check out who wants a two bed flat in exchange for a one bed flat.
    4 Ask a paying friend or relative to rent the spare room off you.
    5 Advertise for a lodger eg spareroom.com
    6 Find a lover to share the cost as a last resort!!

im in a one bedroom flat and live alone. I have just been accepted by the council for a two bedroomed flat based on my pip award for mental health. Im not sure if i have to pay bedroom tax/ All i know is they wouldnt accept me for a two bed before my pip award.

You have probably been allocated a two bedroom flat as you might be considered tat you have a medical need for a support worker to stay overnight from time to time.

If I was you I'd contact your local housing officer to clarify that you don't need to pay extra rent/bedroom tax on the extra room before signing anything.