Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Hirepurchase motabilty no more

  1. #1

    Hirepurchase motabilty no more

    I know this has been mentioned before but I would like to say since 2010 the motabilty scheme and the con dems have attacked the dla benefit, and the motabilty scheme the choice has now been eroded even if you are not interested in the hp or purchasing a car it is a principal of choice taken away as many know even some smaller higher priced auto cars are no longer available on the scheme.
    I contacted motability in feb 2014 and was told that as of july the hp scheme is no longer avail and I found this out for myself due to the fact I wondered why the hp is not advertised in the booklets they print.
    As I have been on the scheme since 2001 I remember that you could buy a new car and a second hand car under 60,000 for up to five years as long as the car was under 5 years old and they printed the cost and interest which was brilliant.
    As for the hp thereare many that cannot get finance to buy outside the scheme due to credit checks so its an end of an era and bad for us disabled who may not do many miles in there cars.
    I am angry as it was not told to us all in lifestyle mag that the hp was no longer avail and also the con gov before 2010 said dla was safe under them? what a con gov we have but you guys no what to do in may to protest what they have done.
    Ps I was an old member of the old yourable site and although not well enough to come here for a while I wish you all a happy new year.

  2. #2
    Sorry that you made it so political. Yes, most people know that the HP scheme is not available, but Labour are not going to change the current system. I have written to the Disability spokesman for both Labour and UKIP. I have written to Milliband, I have contacted our local Labour parliamentary candidate and not one of the labour people has bothered to reply or, in the case of the labour candidate,meh didn't know but would find out. After six months of chasing him, he still can't tell me their policy or changes. Only UKIP came back stating they would repeal PIP, and their disabled spokesman is actually disabled, the only one of the main parties with a disabled spokesperson in disability matters.
    So also protest to Laboyr as they don't seem to give a damn about the disabled either (remember they introduced ESA)

  3. #3
    As you say, the end of the hire purchase scheme has been mentioned before. This is not necessarily as bad as it sounds, as there are a couple of lenders who are often content to offer vehicle finance when presented with evidence of a DLA award (I believe Tesco is one), also the lease scheme remains available to all entitled people.

    I do not believe the end of the hire purchase scheme has anything directly to do with the Government - I believe it was a decision taken by Motability's board based on the relatively low number of users, the costs of administering the scheme for that low number of users, and the availability of alternatives.


    I think it's fair to say that DLA was coming to the point of major review no matter what the hue of the government was following the 2010 general election. It is difficult to see how some of the well-known problems with DLA, such as the abstract legal tests for the Care component, could have been addressed without changes so major that it created a new benefit whether or not the DLA name was retained. Indeed, I believe that PIP came about following a major review of DLA that concluded the best way to address these defects was to create a new benefit.

    Though it's not a scientific study, the posts in the benefits forum here tend to suggest that PIP is achieving many of its aims, especially in the approach it takes to mental health problems and to the severe mobility problems faced by some with sensory impairments.


    There are probably two big controversies with PIP.


    The first directly affects Motability, in that those with purely physical problems must be assessed as having a walking ability of less then 20m to get enhanced rate Mobility PIP and be entitled to Motability. This is tougher than the 50m figure widely believed to be used for DLA higher rate Mobility decisions. However, this tougher standard is softened somewhat by the requirement to look at what the claimant can manage safely, as often as reasonably required, to an acceptable standard and in no more than twice the time taken by a non-disabled person, also by the assessment being that which applies to the majority of days. These additional requirements have the effect of excluding occasional heroic efforts or particularly good days.


    The second controversy is the effect of reassessment for PIP on people who got indefinite or lifetime awards a long time ago. Though the proportion of indefinite DLA awards was around 25% of all recently made awards, overall 71% of DLA awards are indefinite or lifetime (there's actually no difference between indefinite and lifetime awards, as all DLA awards are subject to an ongoing requirement to meet the criteria and no award is immune from reassessment - it was just a change in terminology from "lifetime" to "indefinite"). Though some awards have been checked under the Right Payments Programme, the majority of long-term indefinite DLA awards have never been re-examined.

    It has been suggested that the DLA became tougher over time, so older awards might have been made to less stringent standards. However, this is not a major issue in the context of PIP as everyone needing reassessment is reassessed to the PIP criteria.


    I know some are still arguing that the correct answer is to repeal PIP and return to DLA. As I have said in the forums recently, I don't think this is practical now, or that it is the right answer to any problems with PIP. The argument to retain DLA was lost in 2012, before any action was taken to dismantle DLA and implement PIP.

    DLA closed to new claims for those in scope for PIP 18 months ago, with renewals and changes of circumstances triggering reassessment to PIP in around half the country. Most of DWP's decision making ability for DLA for adults has been dismantled, with the staff being redeployed to other tasks or leaving DWP. The DLA functions in HM Courts and Tribunals Service, the assessment provider (it was Atos who provided medical support) and advice organisations have been run down too.

    To return to DLA at this point would be as difficult as implementing an entirely new benefit. There would be many who lost out if PIP was abolished, including those groups I identified earlier. A return to DLA would be returning to a benefit where the majority of the criteria were over 30 years old (as they are the pre-DLA criteria for Mobility Allowance and Attendance Allowance), with the associated known problems. It could also lead to a requirement to reassess those on PIP - well over a hundred thousand people by this stage - for DLA.


    At this point, I think it's better to argue for changes to PIP than a return to DLA. If a future government can be persuaded that the walking standard in PIP is too tough, they can easily change the points score for the 20-50m descriptor to 12 points and retrospectively change all the existing PIP decisions based on this change (as a PIP decision reaches a conclusion on each activity).
    Last edited by Flymo; 01-12-2015 at 11:59 AM.

  4. #4
    Hi i beg to differ it was the tories that said dla was safe before the election and yes I have contacted labour and they did they would be fairer and also remember they have said that the bedroom tax will go.
    As far as ukip goes I heard they want more cuts than the tories and i am not happy with what tony blair did in the past but we really need to vote for a fairer left party and not far right as ukip and tories as even today on the new dc said ever more welfair cuts if they get elected?
    Also it is politicle when they produce the bedroom tax and then cut tax for the rich at least labour said it would be fairer with a mansion tax and like said the end of bed tax.
    I am not happy with labour but that is the only option against the rich party at this time.

  5. #5

    Red face

    As Russell brand said do not vote for any party, i think that the nhs dla pip esa i hope will be fairer under a labour gov and if its not a fairer society under them then heaven help us, i really think that a low majority would be better and lib lab or snp link together. As without the libs with the tories they wanted worser cuts so whatever anyone says about the libs they have stopped the tories on some things.
    It was a tory supporting rag that attacked disabled motoring since 2010 and then choice of cars has dwindled and the hp scheme.
    Last edited by tinytim; 01-04-2015 at 05:47 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tinytim View Post
    Hi i beg to differ it was the tories that said dla was safe before the election and yes I have contacted labour and they did they would be fairer and also remember they have said that the bedroom tax will go.
    As far as ukip goes I heard they want more cuts than the tories and i am not happy with what tony blair did in the past but we really need to vote for a fairer left party and not far right as ukip and tories as even today on the new dc said ever more welfair cuts if they get elected?
    Also it is politicle when they produce the bedroom tax and then cut tax for the rich at least labour said it would be fairer with a mansion tax and like said the end of bed tax.
    I am not happy with labour but that is the only option against the rich party at this time.
    Oh Tiny Tim, a bare faced labour lie, sorry but I have tried talking to Labour and they refuse to say what they will do. The lie that UKIP will make more cuts is a Labour comment, not the truth. I take it from your comments you are a Labour supporter? Many parties have said they will remove the bedroom tax including the Liberals, as for mansion tax, a nasty piece of work that goes along with the bedroom tax and death duties.
    Let's not forget the mess labour under Blair dud to the country and the Deregulation they brought in for bankers, 1 million manufacturing jobs lost under Labour, more puts closed under Labour than Thatcher, the list goes on.....

  7. #7
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    8,084
    I think it's worth pointing out again that the Motability Scheme is a charity.
    (Registered charity number in England and Wales 299745).

    It is not a government run scheme.

    It is suprising just how many people don't realise this, even some of those with motability vehicles.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  8. #8
    Hi nuke it is a charity but it has banks that are gov supported and yes the gov of the day also has a say and been influenced by the tory press as well so that's why we no longer have the choice we used to have before 2010.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by tinytim View Post
    Hi nuke it is a charity but it has banks that are gov supported and yes the gov of the day also has a say and been influenced by the tory press as well so that's why we no longer have the choice we used to have before 2010.
    Yet again, not totally true.
    http://www.motability.co.uk/about-us/who-we-are/

    Motability operations is owned by four banks, two of which were never bailed out by the Government after Labour made a mess of running the economy and banking.
    Motability is a different part of the scheme and Is A charity, that is responsible fur the oversight and scheme policy.

    As for the cars available before 2010, yes there were more expensive cars on the scheme,nwhich I think us sad that they are now not available, but the percentage that took up the more expensive option was small, and many on here would say if they could afford these much higher advanced payments, they should be leasing cars outside the motability scheme as it was set up to give the poorest in society the ability to get mobile .

    Also, labours history is not stellar in terms of supporting the disabled.
    It was Maggie Thatcher who introduced the Motability scheme,mLabour was happy for the disabled to go around in dangerous plastic pigs, and again, Labour introduced ESA, they introduced PFI, which gas cost the health service billions in charges and fees, they even today, ed Balls-up has stated that they will not spend money they don't have and will not refund areas where cuts have been made.

    Labour, Liberal and Cameroons are all the same, no help fir the poorest in society, all three parties run by millionaires....

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by warkman View Post
    Yet again, not totally true.
    http://www.motability.co.uk/about-us/who-we-are/

    Motability operations is owned by four banks, two of which were never bailed out by the Government after Labour made a mess of running the economy and banking.
    Motability is a different part of the scheme and Is A charity, that is responsible fur the oversight and scheme policy.

    As for the cars available before 2010, yes there were more expensive cars on the scheme,nwhich I think us sad that they are now not available, but the percentage that took up the more expensive option was small, and many on here would say if they could afford these much higher advanced payments, they should be leasing cars outside the motability scheme as it was set up to give the poorest in society the ability to get mobile .

    Also, labours history is not stellar in terms of supporting the disabled.
    It was Maggie Thatcher who introduced the Motability scheme,mLabour was happy for the disabled to go around in dangerous plastic pigs, and again, Labour introduced ESA, they introduced PFI, which gas cost the health service billions in charges and fees, they even today, ed Balls-up has stated that they will not spend money they don't have and will not refund areas where cuts have been made.

    Labour, Liberal and Cameroons are all the same, no help fir the poorest in society, all three parties run by millionaires....
    A very good and accurate post. Motability exists only in the UK and is a fine scheme. Many years ago there were comments about the demise of high end cars with large AP but scheme is offering a wide choice to suit most, if not all. Also the prices have evened out removing the lottery of wondering if to order or wait until the next quarter. Motability's ?2000 payment to those who fail PIP is good too.
    With PIP in mind I am left to wonder if the migration will start in October given the massive backlog. A clue will be the result of the general election on 7th May. Regardless of who wins I feel it will go ahead, however, I feel it may be delayed by perhaps another 12 months.

Similar Threads

  1. When will I recieve my pin from motabilty
    By Shazza10 in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-06-2015, 12:55 PM
  2. Motabilty saying my son does not live at same address as me
    By Shazza10 in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-22-2014, 03:26 PM
  3. Motabilty car write off
    By Mandyboops in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 12:15 PM
  4. Miliband new Patron of Motabilty
    By CTCELT88 in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 11:23 PM
  5. leasing a car not through motabilty scheme ?
    By comrie in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •