Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tv programs

tv programs

So watched benefits too fat to work, i don't think people who are badly over weight should get disability benefits yes those of us with mobility and physical problems can't work out and a lot of us are overweight but eat healthy and not junk food so that we don't get to the level of those on program. It especially seems wrong when people i know with ms have lost their dla when going over to pips!!
    And before people go on that it can't be helped i'm not on about people with certain health conditions who become extra big i'm talking about people who had no health problems before the weight.

I did enjoy the undateables though still have issue with title.

I am quite overweight, but do not get PIP and ESA because of it. I have no health problems due to my weight. My mobility problems stem from slipping on ice and screwing my knee up.

I had to switch the Too Fat To Work off. The guy...was on Jeremy Kyle a few weeks ago begging Jeremy to help him lose weight - He checked himself out of the rehab place 24 hours later. He, in my opinion, should NOT have disability benefits as he won't try and help himself.

I am trying so hard to lose weight, but finding it difficult because of my mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerangelx View Post
    I am quite overweight, but do not get PIP and ESA because of it. I have no health problems due to my weight. My mobility problems stem from slipping on ice and screwing my knee up.

I had to switch the Too Fat To Work off. The guy...was on Jeremy Kyle a few weeks ago begging Jeremy to help him lose weight - He checked himself out of the rehab place 24 hours later. He, in my opinion, should NOT have disability benefits as he won't try and help himself.

I am trying so hard to lose weight, but finding it difficult because of my mobility.
    Regarding the overweight man who you describe as undeserving of benefits; maybe he has an underlying problem which contributes to or causes his obesity, for example, a mental health problem? I don't think it is fair of you to judge him as being undeserving without knowing all the facts - these kind of value judgements are downright dangerous - they feed discrimination of disabled people - in this case obese people. I personally know two people who are multi-disabled including obesity - through no fault of their own - symptoms of their genetic syndromes; they are sick and tired of being negatively judged by ignorant people. You say the guy "won't try and help himself"; I wonder how many other vulnerable people on these forums have had similar comments made about them? Of course, you are entitled to your opinion - we have free speech. However, I disagree with your views on this accasion.

Buster

LOL - sorry, I had to laugh. I am both obese AND disabled. Yes, of course..I have NO clue on how comments can affect people. REALLY?

Obesity itself is not a disability. The 'genetic' reason for being obese is the disability, not obesity itself. In other cases, the comfort eating and eating disorder is the disability, NOT obesity.

I didn't say he was undeserving, I said he shouldn't receive them because he has refused possibly the best help for him. He pretty much gave all of the facts on Jeremy Kyle, so. If you don't want to be judged, don't go on one program begging for help, REJECT that help and then go on a program called 'Too fat to work'..Simple as, really.

Considering I am pretty much in the same situation as him with struggling with weight(but, I am receiving help that has been offered to me), I have EVERY right to air my opinions. I have gone to the extremes of making myself very, very ill(Eating disorder) JUST to lose weight.

As for implying that I am ignorant - please hold your tongue before throwing a stupid remark like that around. As somebody who has quite bad mental health problems, that can also be devastating so feel free to practice what you preach.

I will NOT be replying anymore to this because to be honest, I don't like your attitude.

I, for one, am sick to death of these programmes!!!

They just feed the general opinion that everyone on benefits, of any sort, is "working the system", "telling lies", lazy, etc, etc, etc.

This particular programme was no different. It was not meant to show any of the people in a good light, but only meant to inflame public opinion even more. Yes, maybe the people were so overweight due to their diet, lack of exercise etc, or maybe due to other health conditions or mental health problems. The programme did not explain or go into the reasons.

So, once again, we have comments on social media, in the papers etc about people on benefits being the worst of society. These programmes serve the government better than any speech they make themselves. It is this sort of thing that enables any government to continue making cuts, sanctions etc by convincing everyone we are all frauds.

In the meantime, the dodgy deals, multi-million pound companies not paying tax, bankers bonuses etc get forgotten about.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I watched this as well. The one thing I didn't agree with was that the couple got 3 grand for their wedding from the state - or did I
    misunderstand that?
    Sea Queen

I don't think they got a payment of 3 grand. From what I watched they were paying for things like the reception etc in installments.

I have posted some more thoughts on this programme but it is not showing as yet.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I agree with what you said flower and like you i know what it's like when have mobility issues and not being able to lose weight through exercise etc and also like you i take what help i can.
    Yes it said in paper they paid £3thou for wedding but not where it came from. Anyway it says the guy had been married think it said 5times before and until 5years ago had his own business no previous health issues.
    I know each case is individual and anyone who as medical problems and weight as come from that then fair enough but when people are born with no health probs and they choose to not look after themselves and put on excess weight and then claims benefit for it that isn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    I, for one, am sick to death of these programmes!!!

They just feed the general opinion that everyone on benefits, of any sort, is "working the system", "telling lies", lazy, etc, etc, etc.

This particular programme was no different. It was not meant to show any of the people in a good light, but only meant to inflame public opinion even more. Yes, maybe the people were so overweight due to their diet, lack of exercise etc, or maybe due to other health conditions or mental health problems. The programme did not explain or go into the reasons.

So, once again, we have comments on social media, in the papers etc about people on benefits being the worst of society. These programmes serve the government better than any speech they make themselves. It is this sort of thing that enables any government to continue making cuts, sanctions etc by convincing everyone we are all frauds.

In the meantime, the dodgy deals, multi-million pound companies not paying tax, bankers bonuses etc get forgotten about.
    I agree with you - these programmes are designed to do one thing, and one thing only. Wind people up and get them feeling hard done by, in comparison with those who (it seems) are getting an "easy ride."

The sad thing is people are believing this rubbish.

Come on guys, see this stuff for what it is. Rubbish, designed to turn people against others and make it easier for the Government to make life even harder for disabled people then it already is.

There are some really interesting comments here about the overweight chap who appeared on that ghastly cheap TV "show". Firstly, fair enough Flowerangel, you are quite right, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion; I apologise if I have hurt your feelings - I didn't mean for you to interpret my comments as me calling you ignorant, I should have made myself more clear, sorry. What I meant and said (I think), is my two family members who struggle with being overweight because of their disabilities - are sick and tired of being negatively judged by ignorant people. In particular, regarding the looks they receive, the sniggering and everything else these poor souls have to put up with whilst out and about in the community and attending hospital and doctors appointments (waiting rooms) etc - even when being accompanied. Anyway, no hard feelings I hope - I wish you well.

Interestingly, I think the European Courts in Brussels have recently ruled that obesity is a disability or could be a disability, not sure exactly how they worded it. I personally believe this is the correct approach. Furthermore, obesity caused through poor lifestyle choices or through a genetic cause should not be viewed differently in my opinion - where a person is affected to the extent that they are experiencing long term disabling affects; for example, significant problems with getting around through breathlessness. Moreover, people with other problems caused by alcohol, drugs or tobacco, and who are also often judged to be of the makers of their own illnesses, are also, and rightly, given financial support - if they are deemed unfit for work. Are we saying these people should also not be entitled to benefits? Indeed, are these individuals any different from obese people who simply may not have had the will-power to turn things around? My own stance is - regardless of how it came about - an illness or impairment that prevents someone from working - resulting in extra living costs - should be fully supported financially. We have a safety net - I would hate it if decision makers were to play God - and let some poor souls fall through - intentionally. Doesn't bear thinking about - what other groups of people would be next in line for a "hard landing"? Anyway - keep up the good work everyone!

Buster

Buster