Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bye bye, Laptop!

Bye bye, Laptop!

My trusty laptop has finally given up...

I knew it was on it's last legs so I've been saving up and got myself a second-hand iPad 4. It even looks brand new! I can do everything I did on the laptop and more. I have a pretty flowery case for it and it even fits in my bag. Result! It now means I can delete most of the apps on my phone and use it as a phone without eating the battery life up.

Took ages to save up, though. Completely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerangelx View Post
    My trusty laptop has finally given up...

I knew it was on it's last legs so I've been saving up and got myself a second-hand iPad 4. It even looks brand new! I can do everything I did on the laptop and more. I have a pretty flowery case for it and it even fits in my bag. Result! It now means I can delete most of the apps on my phone and use it as a phone without eating the battery life up.

Took ages to save up, though. Completely worth it.
    iPads are awesome..

I don't do half the stuff I can do with mine however as I've already got a MacBook Pro.. (which is ageing a bit)

They really are!

I'm not usually a fan of apple...but...I appear to have gone over to the dark side. We have the family computer and now I have my iPad...Although I'm finding that I can do pretty much the same thing on my iPad as on the computer. Plus it's a lot easier to carry round. Just need to connect it to a dongle whilst I'm out and about.

Just need to connect it to a dongle whilst I'm out and about.
    I don't think you can do that, there aren't any USB ports on an ipad, just look for a wifi hotspot there's plenty about and they're getting more popular, Starbucks, HSBC etc + plenty of smaller places and many supermarkets are doing it now. You can also look into 'mifi' this is a separate gadget that generates wifi for upto about six other devices.

I would also suggest you back it up to itunes through your main computer, that's more reliable than the 'cloud' particularly if running IOS7, you can then save that if/when you update to IOS8, as that can give problems on models before the 'AIR'.

Enjoy

I actually have a wireless dongle type thing, I'm currently sat in a bar using it. ��

Well done floweragel as you have a nice piece of kit there. I still prefer to use a desktop and I use the Appleimac 27inch as I use it for desk top publishing and photo manipulation.

I also have an iPhone and yes the battery needs charging every day but it only takes 30 minutes.

I like to save photos, emails, documents, contacts etc to iCloud because you can access the same information through different devices and the contacts/photos etc are stored in one place but only accessible to me. You no longer have storage problems with Apps as they are stored in the iCloud and take no device memory,

My first home computer was the Apple Macintosh LC - it stored data on floppy discs - how technology has moved on!

I actually have a wireless dongle type thing, I'm currently sat in a bar using it. ??
    I didn't think you could plug anything into an iPad.

The only way I can use my iPad if not near Wifi is through portable hotspot via a 4G from my phone.
    Last edited by WeDesign; 07-01-15 at 17:33.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDesign View Post
    I didn't think you could plug anything into an iPad.

The only way I can use my iPad if not near Wifi is through portable hotspot via a 4G from my phone.
    Nothing was plugged into my iPad. It isn't a dongle, but it's more like a little broadband modem? Not sure of the name of it.

Nothing was plugged into my iPad. It isn't a dongle, but it's more like a little broadband modem? Not sure of the name of it.
    Do you have to pay to use this device?

Quote Originally Posted by WeDesign View Post
    Do you have to pay to use this device?
    It's called a "mifi" device, as I indicated in the post above, it's a little modem like device that provides a wireless signal and runs off a sim card, that's how you buy your deal. If you Google 'mifi' deals you'll see loads of them out there.