Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sale of Goods-washing machine leaking!

Sale of Goods-washing machine leaking!

Hi All, and never a good time for anything we rely on to breakdown but new washing machine-less than 6 months old has developed a leak from the dispenser drawer/tray and before I fire off email or make contact, would like to know exactly where we stand:

Draft email as follows give prettty much all details (just cannot find original receipt but do have bank statement proof/email proof of delivery and fitting service and our email to them as to how well they did in delivery and fitting):

'We refer to the above and hope this is the quickest mode of contact regarding our recent purchase made from
    (have deleted store info address), of Beko washing machine on Monday, 24th July, '17, paid by debit card and delivered
    & fitted Thursday, 27th July in AM.

We have recently found that washing machiine has developed a leak which appears to be coming from the
    dispenser tray/drawer area (uppermost left hand corner of machine) and are lost as to the cause.

As the item is less than 6 months old would you please advise as to the next steps that should be taken.'

Any and all responses/advice greatly appreciated.

Surely it is covered by the normal guarantee. Your instruction book should give you details of how and who to contact

Just ring Beko, there's usually a sticker on the appliance with a number to ring to register it for the warranty, they'll arrange someone to come out and fix it.

Here it is, "To contact one of our Customer Service advisors, please call 0333 207 9710"

Alternatively there's an online repair request form here, https://www.beko.co.uk/support/custo...rs/in-warranty

That's an odd place to leak from.

A bit of troubleshooting.

Is the leak inside or outside the machine? ie. is it running down the front or coming out the bottom?
    Is it leaking when the machine is filling, or when it's emptying?

If it's leaking when filling-
    Have you taken the drawer out and checked if something is blocking the pipe going down to the drum? (The drawer comes out easily for cleaning).
    Might just be caked up with old washing powder.
    Or I've once know someone who put tablets/capsules in the drawer, these didn't disolve and blocked the pipe.
    It doesn't have to be fully blocked, if the water comes into the drawer faster than it can get out then its going to overflow.

If it's leaking when emptying-
    If it's coming out the bottom then have you checked the filter?
    These need cleaning every 3 or 4 months, or they can also clog up and leak.
    (They also catch coins etc. to stop them damaging the pump).

Your user manual will tell you how to take the drawer out for cleaning, and how to clear the filter.

The drawer you usually just push down a springy bit behind the conditioner dispenser and then pull the drawer out.
    With a Beko the filter is usually behind a drop down flap, the full width at the bottom front of the machine.
    Drop the flap and you'll see the filter. It unscrews and you pull it out for cleaning and unblocking. Careful because when you unscrew it a pint or so of water will come out.

Sorry if you've already tried all that, but you'd be amazed how many people don't. (And end up paying a fortune for an 'engineer' to do simple cleaning).
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-17-2017 at 03:54 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

in addition to nukecad's advice, make sure the machine is level (the feet will be adjustable to level it) and that the draw is properly shut at the start of the wash. If it's not level the drawer may be wobbling open to enable to leak.

nukecad. is there not a pull out drain tube for filter removal on this?

Many thanks and greatly appreciated (especially at this time of year and added reasons) for all replies and lengthy help list.

Did 2 washes yesterday followed by 'drum clean' and as Sods Law dictates, no leak at all! Obviously glad it has worked out like this ratehr than continual leak. The 2 washes were the longest the machine has (2 hours 40 minutes) and followed by drum clean (2 hours) may have resolved. When doing drum clean, a neighour who has worked in launderette for number of years advised to use dishwasher tablet on drum clean cycle-this is also actually advised in the machine manual! & Yep freda, we certainly know when its not level! Only happened on couple of occasions and difference in decibels is amazing-happened when wash was couple of towels and when on fast spin, as towels had bundled, machine had 'walked' itself, only a couple of centimetres but this was enough to move slightly off balance!

Great to have the numbers needed somewhere accessible-here-as well as having the 'paper' guarantee as phaedra and beau note. TY to Nuke also and wifey goes through these actions at least every month/2 months due to fact my washes' are not your everyday regular due to amount of skin preparations/ointments etc.

But Nuke, you're right, looking through forums on this subject amazed how many people do not clean/clear drawer/dispenser or even check the filter and also the door seal-this was problem with last machine-door seal had warped and eroded due to washes my clothes require. Actual lifetime of last washer was 5 years and due to cost of repair/replace door seal was not much more to buy new!

So fingers crossed & know got 6 months left to deal with any further probs on current guarantee.

Wishing all a troublefree and stress free christmas and damed well hoping 2018 helluva lot better than 2017! Again, MT's to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    nukecad. is there not a pull out drain tube for filter removal on this?
    Not with Beko, or plenty of others for that matter.
    (They make them as cheap as they can so leave off these little extras).

They usually just say to use a tray or bowl to try and catch most of it. Still have a mop handy.

a neighour who has worked in launderette for number of years advised to use dishwasher tablet on drum clean cycle-this is also actually advised in the machine manual!
    I use about a tablespoon of neat bleach straight in the drum (not the drawer) and then a run through on empty.
    As I said elsewhere I'll also use bleach when washing the shower curtains, 2 jobs for one cleans the curtains and degreases/degunks the machine..
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

White vinegar...........................drawer, drum and rubber door seal......

Great to hear you're back up and running after getting excellent advice and guidance.

I'm an ex washing machine service engineer but didn't comment because there was nothing of use I could add to the conversation.

BTW it's very likely the Beko guy would have charged you to do the maintenance you've now done.

Have a good Christmas