Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Fed up with TV

  1. #1
    Senior Member suffolkbobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    East coast of Suffolk
    Posts
    118

    Fed up with TV

    Have you noticed how the adverts on TV and more frequent and last longer? 'Dancing on ice' for example, 1 performance then ads! Vera....5 ad breaks, you lose the plot, (well I do).
    Why? ..quote".In 2016, under a major EU shake-up of rules around commercials to help broadcasters who are losing viewers to online services such as Netflix, the European Commission announced proposals to liberalise rules capping television advertising at 12 minutes per hour. They will be replaced with a daily limit of no more than 20 per cent of advertising between 7am or 11pm, allowing broadcasters to “choose more freely” when they place their adverts."
    So during prime time, (when ads are more expensive) In our terms, the broadcast companies make more money while we suffer.

    The answer?..... Well if you are wealthy and can afford the £250+ to purchase a digital recorder for your media, in my case Freesat, you can record the programs as you watch anything of interest on BBC then watch later using the "skip ads" button to fast forward to the next ad free bit, or as I do, hit the mute button which caters for the "alleged" increase in volume.

    To be quite honest, I can do without TV, its just a habit taking up a good part of my existence and most of the time is spent flicking through the channels trying to find something to watch that is not an umpteenth time repeat and does not contain same gender sex, swearing or extreme violence.
    Looking at the rules, I don't need a licence if I have a TV set but never receive picture broadcasts, a licence is not required to listen to digital radio or watch DVDs on it so maybe its time to ditch the licence fee altogether and live in the real world. Bring on the Archers......

  2. #2
    I never and I mean never watch TV, watch DVds or anything. I won't even sit in the room with the TV.
    Eccentric it may sound but brain damage makes it necessary.
    TV watching is all for hubby, I spend my time in a completely separate room.

    Don't think I miss anything anyway.

  3. #3
    I have not watched TV for about 5 years...........Not called the "idiot box" for nothing

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    1,367
    Well you answered your own question there. even if you do not have Tivo or similar theres the MUTE button. A classic move in our house. Plus opportunity to mak a cuppa.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by suffolkbobby View Post
    Have you noticed how the adverts on TV and more frequent and last longer? 'Dancing on ice' for example, 1 performance then ads! Vera....5 ad breaks, you lose the plot, (well I do).
    Why? ..quote".In 2016, under a major EU shake-up of rules around commercials to help broadcasters who are losing viewers to online services such as Netflix, the European Commission announced proposals to liberalise rules capping television advertising at 12 minutes per hour. They will be replaced with a daily limit of no more than 20 per cent of advertising between 7am or 11pm, allowing broadcasters to “choose more freely” when they place their adverts."
    So during prime time, (when ads are more expensive) In our terms, the broadcast companies make more money while we suffer.

    The answer?..... Well if you are wealthy and can afford the £250+ to purchase a digital recorder for your media, in my case Freesat, you can record the programs as you watch anything of interest on BBC then watch later using the "skip ads" button to fast forward to the next ad free bit, or as I do, hit the mute button which caters for the "alleged" increase in volume.

    To be quite honest, I can do without TV, its just a habit taking up a good part of my existence and most of the time is spent flicking through the channels trying to find something to watch that is not an umpteenth time repeat and does not contain same gender sex, swearing or extreme violence.
    Looking at the rules, I don't need a licence if I have a TV set but never receive picture broadcasts, a licence is not required to listen to digital radio or watch DVDs on it so maybe its time to ditch the licence fee altogether and live in the real world. Bring on the Archers......
    Where possible I watch on catch up, with Now Tv, catch up is ad free but you can pause to make a coffee etc.

  6. #6
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	1943

    the money we give the BBC would be better spent on our NHS

  7. #7
    Time the BBC either was closed down ,or forced to fund it's self no more tv tax

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    Time the BBC either was closed down ,or forced to fund it's self no more tv tax
    Please god no, that would just mean adverts. Its bad enoff ads on here, on FB, on bloody everywhere. And the big red bus proved a big smokescreen didn'y it, for NOT giving the NHS teh money anyway.

  9. #9
    Well wean yourself off the telly!!! Telly is to grown ups what a dummy is to toddlers!!

    Quote:
    "And the big red bus proved a big smokescreen didn'y it, for NOT giving the NHS teh money anyway. "

    See that on the telly did you? So must be true?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Epsom, Surrey
    Posts
    79
    There is another alternative. I have a satellite system setup to receive French television which generally offers higher quality programming compared to the rubbish offered on British TV. Two other advantages: commercial breaks are a lot shorter than British TV and its keeping my brain ticking over in my senior years having to hear and understand a non-native language.

    Chris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •