Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New reg on mental health

New reg on mental health

My question is as im rather confused.
    Was reassess febuary 2017 lost my pip enhanced dl so had to do a mr won that was reinstated april 2017.
    But only got 4 points for psychological part as the capita/atos were told to discriminate against people with mh problems to stop them getting mobility. Even though suffer from social anxiety ect and it was all written down in black and white.
    My question is will they look at all the people who suffer mh problems who were scored so low with 4 points???

They are going to look at ALL claims, I know it’s hard, but this is a huge task so we’re all going to have to give them some time

Quote Originally Posted by sundontshine123 View Post
    My question is as im rather confused.
    Was reassess febuary 2017 lost my pip enhanced dl so had to do a mr won that was reinstated april 2017.
    But only got 4 points for psychological part as the capita/atos were told to discriminate against people with mh problems to stop them getting mobility. Even though suffer from social anxiety ect and it was all written down in black and white.
    My question is will they look at all the people who suffer mh problems who were scored so low with 4 points???
    I think its mostly going to be for people who scored 10 points instead of 12, 4 points seems to be on the lower side of the mobility descriptors

they say it will take 3years so 5years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Beddz View Post
    I think its mostly going to be for people who scored 10 points instead of 12, 4 points seems to be on the lower side of the mobility descriptors
    This seems back to front. Because of the changes to the descriptors, people suffering from psychological distress could only get 4 points for needing to be prompted or 10 points for being unable to undertake any journeys.

This means that someone who should have received 12 points for being unable to make journeys to familiar places without someone accompanying them or 10 points for being unable to make unfamiliar journeys without someone accompanying them were only awarded 4 points under the prompting descriptor. Being able to make accompanied journeys prevented these people from receiving the 10 points for being unable to undertake any journeys. Such people should quite rightly be reassessed and may see an increase in the points awarded.

On the other hand, someone who received 10 points for being unable to undertake any journey would presumably not have their award changed. If they are not able to make any journeys, the descriptors regarding making journeys with help don't apply.
    Last edited by Abilene; 02-05-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Mostly true, however here would be some exceptions:

Unable to make any journey : 35% of the time

Prompting/ support for familiar : 30% of the time

Prompting / support for unfamiliar : 35% of the time.

If I read rightly then those circumstances SHOULD give a 12 pt award.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if multiple descriptors are met within the activity, but none of them are over 50% of the time (however added up they are more) then the highest scoring applies.

Confirm?

You're thinking of this, I think: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ulation/7/made

However, I did specifically say someone who is unable to make any journeys, not someone with a mixture of making and not making journeys.

The person you described can make journeys with help 65% of the time, so they would probably have been awarded 4 points for needing to be prompted, not 10 points for not being able to make any journeys, since the discriminatory rules prevented them from getting 1(d) or 1(f). Those are the sort of claimants I was describing in the 2nd paragraph when I said, "Being able to make accompanied journeys prevented these people from receiving the 10 points for being unable to undertake any journeys. Such people should quite rightly be reassessed and may see an increase in the points awarded."

The person who I responded to said they thought the change would mostly affect those given 10 points as 4 points was low, but I suspect it's mostly going to affect those who received 4 or even 0 points.

(I should add that there's only one prompting descriptor (1(b)). It isn't divided into familiar and unfamilar, so I'm assuming you were referring to 1(d) and 1(f). If they were actually able to make journeys with prompting on the majority of days the 4 points would be correct.)
    Last edited by Abilene; 02-05-2018 at 05:00 PM.

I was referring to d and f, couldn’t remember the exact wording though, thanks

It is, very needlessly extremely complicated, especially as we’re talking about extremely vulnerable people.

The descriptors are:
    a. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided. (0 points.)
    b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. (4 points.)
    c. Cannot plan the route of a journey. (8 points.)
    d. Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. (10 points.)
    e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. (10 points.)
    f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. (12 points.)

IIRC, it was (c), (d) and (f) that were changed (and then changed back).

I agree, it's ridiculously complicated. Not only do you have the descriptors themselves, but then you have glossaries giving specific meanings to some of the words used (which aren't necessarily what a layman would think), the reliability guidelines, various precedents that describe how criteria should be interpreted... I know that there's help available from various organisations, but they're often overloaded, leaving vulnerable people to try to construct what is essentially a legal argument on their own.

I’m not daft, I know I’m not. I can read, I can write, I can spell but I cannot however much I try, get my head around the above descriptors.

I have physical as well as mental health health problems, I can leave my home on my own for a short familiar journey 4/7 mornings of the week.

I am unable to ever go alone on a unfamiliar journey.

I can only rarely go on a either an accompanied familiar or accompanied unfamiliar journey in the afternoon or evening 7/7 days of the week.

Where does that leave me?